Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finger Board Tricks?

If you've read m other post I need to make a double sided finger board at
least 25" long. In this case it means a ton of cuts. I was wondering if
anyone had any ideas for evenly spacing all of the cuts quickly?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually on a guitar fingerboard the spaces are not equal in any way
except depth. Also there is a crown on the visible face of the fret
board. I would suggest you hit Stewart-MacDonald's web site at
http://www.stewmac.com and look at buying a fret board template

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel...talog/sku.html

and their fret cutting table saw blade.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...ing_Blade.html

Their instructions are very good. There are quiet a few online tools
buried throughout the site.

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:56:59 -0500, "HotRod"
wrote:

If you've read m other post I need to make a double sided finger board at
least 25" long. In this case it means a ton of cuts. I was wondering if
anyone had any ideas for evenly spacing all of the cuts quickly?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HotRod" wrote:

If you've read m other post I need to make a double sided finger

board at
least 25" long. In this case it means a ton of cuts. I was

wondering if
anyone had any ideas for evenly spacing all of the cuts quickly?

You could make an indexing fence using a couple of 3/8-16 pieces of
threaded rod, some nuts and a couple of pieces of wood.

One piece of wood is clamped to saw table to serve as a fixed fence.

2nd piece of wood is about 12" long and parallel to long piece.

The two pieces of wood are connected together with the threaded rods
with the wood having thru holes, using nuts to lock in place.

Since threaded rod has 16 threads/inch, one revolution of nut = 1/16".

Now have the means to index the smaller wooden piece as req'd to make
equally spaced cuts.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If you've read m other post I need to make a double sided finger board at
least 25" long. In this case it means a ton of cuts. I was wondering if
anyone had any ideas for evenly spacing all of the cuts quickly?

Set up an indexing pin. Once that is done, the cuts are quick work. I
have also made a finger board by gluing lined paper to the piece of
wood--either cutting with a bandsaw or table saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HotRod wrote:
If you've read m other post I need to make a double sided finger board at
least 25" long. In this case it means a ton of cuts. I was wondering if
anyone had any ideas for evenly spacing all of the cuts quickly?

Small, shopmade miter box and an 0.002" "Blitz" aka Eberle model
railroader's backsaw. Lay out all fret slots relative to the nut. The

compass trick where you swing arcs from the frets is nearly impossible
to pull off accurately due to accumulated error.

Send the wife and kids out to a movie, and consider decaf. You
want to get into a deep Zen theta state with no distractions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:

Set up an indexing pin. Once that is done, the cuts are quick work. I
have also made a finger board by gluing lined paper to the piece of
wood--either cutting with a bandsaw or table saw.

Non-waterbased glue keeps the paper from stretching while
you're sticking it on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Look at the TS miter jigs made for doing finger joints. You could setup
something similar with an index pin. After you make the first cut you
move it over the index pin, then rinse and repeat.

HotRod wrote:
If you've read m other post I need to make a double sided finger board at
least 25" long. In this case it means a ton of cuts. I was wondering if
anyone had any ideas for evenly spacing all of the cuts quickly?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Look at the TS miter jigs made for doing finger joints or box joints.
They use a little pin that fits into the last cut. You could setup
something similar with a slanted index pin. After you make the first

HotRod wrote:
If you've read m other post I need to make a double sided finger board at
least 25" long. In this case it means a ton of cuts. I was wondering if
anyone had any ideas for evenly spacing all of the cuts quickly?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HotRod" wrote in message
If you've read m other post I need to make a double sided finger board at
least 25" long. In this case it means a ton of cuts. I was wondering if
anyone had any ideas for evenly spacing all of the cuts quickly?

Why wouldn't making the cuts on each end, moving the fence and then making
the next cuts be fast enough? The secret to making evenly spaced cuts is to
move the fence by the same amount each time. Not much of a secret, huh? Oh
well - if it was a secret I wouldn't have been able to tell you.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"HotRod" wrote in message
If you've read m other post I need to make a double sided finger board

at
least 25" long. In this case it means a ton of cuts. I was wondering if
anyone had any ideas for evenly spacing all of the cuts quickly?

Why wouldn't making the cuts on each end, moving the fence and then making
the next cuts be fast enough? The secret to making evenly spaced cuts is

move the fence by the same amount each time. Not much of a secret, huh?

Oh
well - if it was a secret I wouldn't have been able to tell you.

Nix on this post. After I sent it I realized that I had mixed it up with
another thread.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Would someone please explain to me what the OP means by "finger board"? He
said, at the beginning of this thread, about seeing his other thread. Well,
I didn't see it and have no idea. If he is, as some have implied, making a
fingerboard for a stringed instrument, half of these replies are useless
information (for this project). Stringed instrument fingerboards are NOT
evenly spaced.

"HotRod" wrote in message
If you've read m other post I need to make a double sided finger board

at
least 25" long. In this case it means a ton of cuts. I was wondering

if
anyone had any ideas for evenly spacing all of the cuts quickly?

Why wouldn't making the cuts on each end, moving the fence and then

making
the next cuts be fast enough? The secret to making evenly spaced cuts

is
move the fence by the same amount each time. Not much of a secret, huh?

Oh
well - if it was a secret I wouldn't have been able to tell you.

Nix on this post. After I sent it I realized that I had mixed it up with
another thread.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HotRod" wrote in message
If you've read m other post I need to make a double sided finger board

at
least 25" long. In this case it means a ton of cuts. I was wondering

if
anyone had any ideas for evenly spacing all of the cuts quickly?

Why wouldn't making the cuts on each end, moving the fence and then

making
the next cuts be fast enough? The secret to making evenly spaced cuts

is
move the fence by the same amount each time. Not much of a secret, huh?

Oh
well - if it was a secret I wouldn't have been able to tell you.

Nix on this post. After I sent it I realized that I had mixed it up with
another thread.

--

-Mike-

I believe he means a featherboard, to hold material in alignment as it
passes through a sander or some such. His previous post actually calls
it a featherboard instead of a finger board. I too have my moments.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An evil mind is a constant solace.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Thank you.

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
news:45b04bfe$0$9722 I believe he means a featherboard, to hold material in
alignment as it
passes through a sander or some such. His previous post actually calls
it a featherboard instead of a finger board. I too have my moments.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
om...
CW wrote:
Would someone please explain to me what the OP means by "finger board"?

He
said, at the beginning of this thread, about seeing his other thread.

Well,
I didn't see it and have no idea. If he is, as some have implied, making

fingerboard for a stringed instrument, half of these replies are useless
information (for this project). Stringed instrument fingerboards are NOT
evenly spaced.

I believe he means a featherboard, to hold material in alignment as it
passes through a sander or some such. His previous post actually calls
it a featherboard instead of a finger board. I too have my moments.

That's what I originally thought with my replies. If that's the case, then
I would stand by my suggestion earlier posted. Reading through other
replies I thought I had goofed up and that the OP was talking about finger
joints. I saw the posts about fret spacing and just assumed those posters
misunderstood the OP.

Oye - this one is taking too much work.

--

-Mike-

FINGER JOINTS J T Woodworking 0 January 31st 06 05:23 PM
Any tricks to make a DC quieter? Never Enough Money Woodworking 18 December 5th 05 06:20 AM
Tricks for making hole? [email protected] Metalworking 10 March 20th 05 05:08 AM
Best tricks in the shop Tom Gardner Metalworking 30 December 6th 04 04:26 AM
OT - Stupid Bandsaw Tricks Tom Quackenbush Metalworking 11 February 22nd 04 07:02 PM