Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Default Engineered Lumber for Commercial Buildings?

Folks --

I ran into this past summer. We ( me and 3 friends from college ) had
purchased some pieces of engineered lumber for use in a detached
workshop. I had cruised some shelves at the spot and was asking about
using some engineered lumber elsewhere - namely for a commercial
building ( A paint shop for boaters - you know, where you want your
boat painted? ).

The owners told me that I could not use engineered lumber in a
commercial building as it does not meet the fire code. When I asked
why I could use it in a house ( they use it like water up here ) they
said they had no idea.

Anyone have an idea what they mean?

I am curious as I am in the steps of planning for some home
modifications and they all depend quite heavily on engineered lumber.
Hate to find out I made a fire trap.

Thanks to all for your help.

-dan