DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   crank handle help (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/188851-crank-handle-help.html)

[email protected] January 12th 07 12:57 AM

crank handle help

I have a 1950's craftsman table saw model 113. I'm trying to remove
the two chrome crank handles. I removed the allen head set screw fom
the back/side, but the handle won't pull off the shaft. Can anyone
help?
Thanks,
Jim

N Hurst January 12th 07 03:01 PM

crank handle help

Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

I have a 1950's craftsman table saw model 113. I'm trying to remove
the two chrome crank handles. I removed the allen head set screw fom
the back/side, but the handle won't pull off the shaft. Can anyone
help?

Kroil

Lew

I was given a 30 year old Delta saw with a broken belt. I had to take
it to a local small machinery shop to have the gear taken off the
arbor, because I snapped part of the flange off with a gearpuller. They
wound up using a torch to finally get the thing off.

If you've got a good heat gun, you might give that a try.

-Nathan

dpb January 12th 07 05:35 PM

crank handle help

wrote:
I have a 1950's craftsman table saw model 113. I'm trying to remove
the two chrome crank handles. I removed the allen head set screw fom
the back/side, but the handle won't pull off the shaft. Can anyone
help?

First, make absolutely sure there isn't another set screw either under
the one you loosened or at 90-deg from that one--both are relatively
common/possible.

If then the Kroil or other solvent doesn't do the trick, a gear puller
will.

Dr. Deb January 13th 07 01:23 AM

crank handle help

wrote:

I have a 1950's craftsman table saw model 113. I'm trying to remove
the two chrome crank handles. I removed the allen head set screw fom
the back/side, but the handle won't pull off the shaft. Can anyone
help?
Thanks,
Jim

There is a product, which you should be able to get at your local NAPA auto
parts store, or any REAL parts store, called "Blaster." It is great at
freeing up stuck parts. As has been said, make sure there is not another
set screw lurking somewhere. The load it up with Blaster. If that does
not make it come free, get a propane torch and GENTLY heat the part. When
it is cool enough that the Blaster does not boil away, but still very warm,
load it up with Blaster again. It should come free.

Deb