Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is the strongest wood glue for crown & casing joints?

I have heard varying answers on what types of glues get the tightest
bond bond for mitred crwon and casing joints. Which types of glues do
you prefer for painted or stained applications?

Thanks,

Nicholas Falkoff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nick Falkoff" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have heard varying answers on what types of glues get the tightest
bond bond for mitred crwon and casing joints.

That's because, this situation is end-grain to side or end-grain by
definition. End-grain glues poorly. Don't design your application to rely on
end-grain being glued. Cope the crown for interior joints. When I can hide
it, I'll cross tack an exterior corner.

Which types of glues do you prefer for painted or stained applications?

No glue stains well. The trick is not to choose the right glue for staining,
but to keep the adhesive off of the visible surfaces (don't overglue,
prefinish or use tape to keep squeezeout of fthe show surfaces, scrape
clean).

For paint, the above still applies but with more margin of error. Choose
your adhesive based on the material to be glued and the application (does
it beed to be water resistant?, gap filling? pot life?, cost?), not the
surface finish.

-Steve