Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Draw knives vs. belt sanders

If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chrisgiraffe" wrote in message
If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

Not really what I'd consider to be a comparison type question since they're
two completely different types of tools aside from the fact that they can
both remove wood in varying degrees. However, choice would be dictated by
how much wood I wanted removed and then I'd go to the belt sander to smooth
the surface a little more before final smoothing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chrisgiraffe wrote:

| If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander
| which would you choose and why?

Well, I just never did find a draw knife to be particularly handy for
removing old varnish from an oak floor or deburring metal parts...

....and I could never quite bring myself to enjoy using a belt sander
to trim a whole roof full of oak or cedar shakes - they just make too
much noise and dust.

But that's just me.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chrisgiraffe" wrote:

If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

If you had to choose between a bicycle and a wheelbarrow, which would
you choose, and why?
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Jan 9, 2007, 10:44am (EST-3) (Chrisgiraffe)
doth query:
If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

Insufficient details for a viable reply.

JOAT
To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears
also.
- Igor Stravinsky

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

...and I could never quite bring myself to enjoy using a belt sander
to trim a whole roof full of oak or cedar shakes - they just make too
much noise and dust.

But that's just me.

Is sanding EVER fun? G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chrisgiraffe wrote:
If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

That would depend on what I was doing. I'd choose the one
that was appropriate for the job I needed to do.

Skinning the bark off a freshly felled pole?
Draw knife. Wet bark gums the sanding belts and
you'll get a better finish with the knife.

Taking the epoxy squeeze out off a cured laminate?
Belt Sander. Epoxy is tough on blades.

Looking to get a nice, flat surface?
Neither. That's what planes are for.

---
Nobody Special
Chandler, AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

"alexy" wrote in message
If you had to choose between a bicycle and a wheelbarrow, which would
you choose, and why?

Depends on how drunk I was.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chrisgiraffe" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

I can't sharpen my lawnmower blade with a draw knife.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chrisgiraffe wrote:

If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

It depends on who's buying. I've picked up a decent draw knife at a
flea market for under $1.00. The last belt sander I bought was about
$120.00.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chrisgiraffe" wrote in message
If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

The belt sander ... but only if Amy, who was using one on the DIY channel
last night, brings it.

... if you've seen Amy, you wouldn't have to ask!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

Why would I have to choose?

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chrisgiraffe wrote:

If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

That's a bizarre question (bicycle vs. wheelbarrow isn't far off it).

Assuming from your other posts that you're talking about smallish
rustic timber framing works, then it would be a drawknife every time.
Although you can remove wood with a belt sander (usually too much,
where you didn't want to), they're an ugly way to do it. A cheap belt
sander is also a vile POS to have to work with.

If you have a drawknife, then you'll probably want a shave horse too.
Make your own. It's little more than a plank on legs, with a foot-pedal
activated clamp head.

Posted to rec.woodworking

That's a good question, Alexy. Depends on the task. I would guess you
might ask such a question to solicit an open discussion on the uses of
both items. Oh, wait! You were just being sarcastic. Yeah. I'm sure
that's helpful too- somewhere.

alexy wrote:
"Chrisgiraffe" wrote:

If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

If you had to choose between a bicycle and a wheelbarrow, which would
you choose, and why?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chrisgiraffe" wrote:
alexy wrote:
"Chrisgiraffe" wrote:

If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which
would you choose and why?

If you had to choose between a bicycle and a wheelbarrow, which would
you choose, and why?

That's a good question, Alexy.

You really think so? I think it is so pointlessly wide-open that it is
unlikely to elicit any useful information.

Depends on the task.

Exactly. And if I had provided some context of what I planned to do
with the bicycle or wheelbarrow, others could relate their experiences
and advice in that context, providing some meaningful discussion.

I would guess you
might ask such a question to solicit an open discussion on the uses of
both items.

Not me. I might DAGS on bicycle and wheelbarrow to understand their
basic uses, and where I saw possible overlap, ask about people's
preferences in the area of overlapping usage.

Oh, wait! You were just being sarcastic. Yeah.

Hey, I recognize that! g

I'm sure that's helpful too- somewhere.

Mainly to make a point. But sometimes it misses.

Hopefully your original post got you the info you were looking for.