Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Legacy of tools - who gets them?

While I am NOT ready to "go on", I was wondering
how many of you have thought about their fine collection
of tools and where they will end up after you're gone?

I have no children, nor do any of my nephews
seem to be interested in woodworking, so if
I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope
that will happen in about 25 years!) where will
they go?

I know this is really an odd topic, but the wife
and I have been going thru some estate planning
and I just don't have an idea on what to say
in my will. Should I just direct my executors to
sell them and donate the money to a worthy
cause? Or what?

What are you're thoughts on this? I'd be interested
to hear from those who are in the same boat -
no heirs to pass them do.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
While I am NOT ready to "go on", I was wondering
how many of you have thought about their fine collection
of tools and where they will end up after you're gone?

I have no children, nor do any of my nephews
seem to be interested in woodworking, so if
I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope
that will happen in about 25 years!) where will
they go?

I know this is really an odd topic, but the wife
and I have been going thru some estate planning
and I just don't have an idea on what to say
in my will. Should I just direct my executors to
sell them and donate the money to a worthy
cause? Or what?

What are you're thoughts on this? I'd be interested
to hear from those who are in the same boat -
no heirs to pass them do.

I am a firm believer in giving to those who both deserve and appreciate the
item in question. Update your will constantly. And find somebody deserving
of these fine tools. There is more than one definition of family.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

when you update your will for the tools please let me know so that you spell
my name correctly. )))
wrote in message
ups.com...
While I am NOT ready to "go on", I was wondering
how many of you have thought about their fine collection
of tools and where they will end up after you're gone?

I have no children, nor do any of my nephews
seem to be interested in woodworking, so if
I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope
that will happen in about 25 years!) where will
they go?

I know this is really an odd topic, but the wife
and I have been going thru some estate planning
and I just don't have an idea on what to say
in my will. Should I just direct my executors to
sell them and donate the money to a worthy
cause? Or what?

What are you're thoughts on this? I'd be interested
to hear from those who are in the same boat -
no heirs to pass them do.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have no children...

Dad? Is that really you?

- jbd

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
While I am NOT ready to "go on", I was wondering
how many of you have thought about their fine collection
of tools and where they will end up after you're gone?

I have no children, nor do any of my nephews
seem to be interested in woodworking, so if
I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope
that will happen in about 25 years!) where will
they go?

I know this is really an odd topic, but the wife
and I have been going thru some estate planning
and I just don't have an idea on what to say
in my will. Should I just direct my executors to
sell them and donate the money to a worthy
cause? Or what?

What are you're thoughts on this? I'd be interested
to hear from those who are in the same boat -
no heirs to pass them do.

MJ Wallace

This topic is discussed from time to time. See the thread "Spousal Shop
Concerns" from Oct 06 over in rec.crafts.metalworking.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...5b4ba4f9210ad4

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

One of the reasons we get into woodworking other then the desire to create
is to leave a legacy. Most of us think about that in the fine table or box
that we have made with our own hands. Have you thought of the tools as
being part of your legacy? Picking up an old tool, origin often unknown, I
think of the hands that used it before me, and the careful and wonderful
work that was done with it. I say a prayer that my work is as well done as
the previous work done with the tool, and for the previous owner that cared
for the tool so that I too might enjoy it. Give or sell your basic tools to
a new woodworker who needs them and will care for them, give or sell your
special tools to an experienced woodworker who will appreciate them. Don't
worry about the value as much as that they go were they are wanted. Don't
however do it for at least 30 or 40 more years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I agree with the way Lee is heading on this one. I'd be aiming at a
woodworking club, friends who are in the hobby, or a group that could
use what you have - either the whole lot or pieced out in smaller lots.

In future, you may come across someone you swap stories with, lean on
for help back and forth and even work with. That person may be someone
who could appreciate receiving what you have after you're gone. It would
just be a shame for the executors to bundle it all up as "workshop
items" and sell it all off for a hundred bucks.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

Posted to rec.woodworking

No matter what the other kids say, I'm your favorite...Right Dad?

I would start thinking about having your items appraised so you know what
you have invested. Then you and SWMBO can sit down and go over what to do.
That way she doesn't think that they are junk and just toss them. You might
want to think about parting with some of the tools that are collector worthy
or would still fetch a good price. We went through a simular situation when
my grandfather fell ill for a long time. No one in the family knew how much
any of his farm and shop equipment was worth. When he recovered, his first
priority was to sell off all that was valuable. The rest he hung on to "in
case" he needed it. Now that he is up there in years, I have been helping
him with sorting the rest out.

Allen
wrote in message
ups.com...
While I am NOT ready to "go on", I was wondering
how many of you have thought about their fine collection
of tools and where they will end up after you're gone?

I have no children, nor do any of my nephews
seem to be interested in woodworking, so if
I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope
that will happen in about 25 years!) where will
they go?

I know this is really an odd topic, but the wife
and I have been going thru some estate planning
and I just don't have an idea on what to say
in my will. Should I just direct my executors to
sell them and donate the money to a worthy
cause? Or what?

What are you're thoughts on this? I'd be interested
to hear from those who are in the same boat -
no heirs to pass them do.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

so if
I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope
that will happen in about 25 years!) where will
they go?

I recently bought a used bandsaw and a bunch of other smaller tools
from the shop of a former pool-cue maker. He had passed away, and his
(grown) kids were in town to take care of the house, and since they
weren't interested in the tools, they were selling them very cheaply to
whoever would use them. The kids said he just would have wanted the
tools to be used and appreciated - they certainly are! A friend and I
both left with a good selection of tools, and although the bandsaw was
used most recently for a rocking chair and a quilt rack instead of pool
cues, I frequently think of its former owner I never had the chance to
meet. This seems to me to be a good deal for all, but at the time, his
kids didn't seem too excited about sorting through and selling a bunch
of stuff they didn't know much about. So maybe this idea could be
somehow combined with other responses - maybe a local woodworking club
could be in charge of auctioning, in return for a share of the profits
or the tools, with the rest going to your favorite charity or back to
your estate?
Just some ideas...
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I have no children, nor do any of my nephews
seem to be interested in woodworking, so if
I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope
that will happen in about 25 years!) where will
they go?

As far as relatives go, I'm in the same position you are except that I don't
have the same problem. I've named my best friend as executor of my estate as
well as beneficiary. He has *some* interest in woodworking although not as
much as I do. I've told him that he can keep what he wants and sell or give
away the rest just as long as none of it is given to any long lost relatives
who might suddenly show up in an attempt to claim something.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
While I am NOT ready to "go on", I was wondering
how many of you have thought about their fine collection
of tools and where they will end up after you're gone?

I have no children, nor do any of my nephews
seem to be interested in woodworking, so if
I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope
that will happen in about 25 years!) where will
they go?

I know this is really an odd topic, but the wife
and I have been going thru some estate planning
and I just don't have an idea on what to say
in my will. Should I just direct my executors to
sell them and donate the money to a worthy
cause? Or what?

What are you're thoughts on this? I'd be interested
to hear from those who are in the same boat -
no heirs to pass them do.

MJ Wallace

No one is getting them! I'm taking mine with me!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Jan 2007 13:16:44 -0800, wrote:

While I am NOT ready to "go on", I was wondering
how many of you have thought about their fine collection
of tools and where they will end up after you're gone?

I have no children, nor do any of my nephews
seem to be interested in woodworking, so if
I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope
that will happen in about 25 years!) where will
they go?

I know this is really an odd topic, but the wife
and I have been going thru some estate planning
and I just don't have an idea on what to say
in my will. Should I just direct my executors to
sell them and donate the money to a worthy
cause? Or what?

What are you're thoughts on this? I'd be interested
to hear from those who are in the same boat -
no heirs to pass them do.

I'm sort of in the same boat, myself- no kids, and no plans for any.
Unless nature springs a surprise on my wife and I (which does
sometimes happen, no matter what the intentions) I've decided that
when I get too old to play with my toys anymore, I'm going to try to
find a young guy (or girl) who has some aptitute and interest in the
hobby, whether I know them at all or not, and bestow a huge gift on
them.

If you look around a little, there is always someone who is struggling
mightily to get themselves established in anything. I wouldn't just
hand over nice tools to someone who just says they're interested in
trying it out, but I am hoping that I can find someone who has a
starter shop and is doing actual work with what they've got, and make
an all-at-once upgrade happen for them.

If that doesn't seem likely, I'll try and donate it to some sort of
vocational program for young people, like a school or community
center.

Auctioning it off is the last resort, in my mind- I'd rather see it go
to someone who I know will use and appreciate it, than see all my
hard-won equipment divided up and sold for pennies on the dollar to
some random people who may or may not use or appreciate it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:13:02 -0600, "sweet sawdust"
wrote:

One of the reasons we get into woodworking other then the desire to create
is to leave a legacy. Most of us think about that in the fine table or box
that we have made with our own hands. Have you thought of the tools as
being part of your legacy? Picking up an old tool, origin often unknown, I
think of the hands that used it before me, and the careful and wonderful
work that was done with it. I say a prayer that my work is as well done as
the previous work done with the tool, and for the previous owner that cared
for the tool so that I too might enjoy it.

Give or sell your basic tools to
a new woodworker who needs them and will care for them, give or sell your
special tools to an experienced woodworker who will appreciate them. Don't
worry about the value as much as that they go were they are wanted. Don't
however do it for at least 30 or 40 more years.

Unless you upgrade, of course. I had a lot of offers on my midi
lathe, but I hung onto it for about a year until I found a guy that I
knew would use it before it left my shop. Same goes for all other
upgraded equipment- you can't keep everything, but you *can* make sure
it gets into the right hands when you let it go.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
wrote in message

I have no children, nor do any of my nephews
seem to be interested in woodworking, so if
I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope
that will happen in about 25 years!) where will
they go?

As far as relatives go, I'm in the same position you are except that I don't
have the same problem. I've named my best friend as executor of my estate as
well as beneficiary. He has *some* interest in woodworking although not as
much as I do. I've told him that he can keep what he wants and sell or give
away the rest just as long as none of it is given to any long lost relatives
who might suddenly show up in an attempt to claim something.

Whatever you own when you die is used first to pay off any unpaid debts.
Unless you leave a will, anything after that belongs to your legal
heirs. Your friend could be liable for theft if he "keeps what he
wants." So, if that's the way you want your tools dealt with, put it in
a will.
Posted to rec.woodworking

There are a number of woodworking schools around; pick one in your area and
make contact to assess interest and arrange a visit. Make the bequest while
you're still around to supervise and enjoy the result. Don't forget to take
advantage of tax benefits for the contribution.

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...=2007&safe=off

David Merrill

wrote in message
ups.com...

Should I just direct my executors to
sell them and donate the money to a worthy
cause? Or what?

What are you're thoughts on this?

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Just Wondering" wrote in message

Whatever you own when you die is used first to pay off any unpaid debts.
Unless you leave a will, anything after that belongs to your legal
heirs. Your friend could be liable for theft if he "keeps what he
wants." So, if that's the way you want your tools dealt with, put it in
a will.

I won't have any debts, other than assorted burial costs and I've given
instructions for an immediate cremation and no church or funeral parlour
service of any type. $500 is set aside for my friends and anyone who
considers me to be their enemy to spend on liquor costs at some bar. And as
far as a will goes, making someone my beneficiary *is* legally willing all
my belongings to him. Same meaning, just different terms.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:12:48 -0700, Just Wondering
wrote:

Upscale wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

If I read the post correctly, his friend is the beneficiary of his
estate via a will.(see "I've named my best friend as executor of my
estate as well as beneficiary" above).

Dave Hall
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Uh, what part of "executor and beneficiary" do you not understand?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Personally, I want to be cremated, and might's well
take my whole shop with me.

Savin' up for that blast furnace to melt everything down are you?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

"J T" wrote in message
Personally, I want to be cremated, and might's well
take my whole shop with me.

Savin' up for that blast furnace to melt everything down are you?

More likely a steam engine of some kind.

It would be the ultimate metaphor as he will be going to that big steam
engine in the sky.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dude writes:
wrote:
While I am NOT ready to "go on", I was wondering
how many of you have thought about their fine collection
of tools and where they will end up after you're gone?

I'm taking mine with me.

I'll be dead, and food for worms. I won't care at that
point who has them.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

No need to get snippy. He didn't say the friend was the ONLY person to
inherit from his estate. And he said he "told him that he can keep what
he wants." That's not the same thing as leaving it to him in a will.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Perhaps the local office of the Boy Scouts of America would be a good
way to "pass the tools on". But at the Scout office level so that all
of the area dens of Cub Scouts AND Boy Scouts could benefit.

DJ Derringer

Upscale wrote:
"Just Wondering" wrote in message

Whatever you own when you die is used first to pay off any unpaid debts.
Unless you leave a will, anything after that belongs to your legal
heirs. Your friend could be liable for theft if he "keeps what he
wants." So, if that's the way you want your tools dealt with, put it in
a will.

I won't have any debts, other than assorted burial costs and I've given
instructions for an immediate cremation and no church or funeral parlour
service of any type. $500 is set aside for my friends and anyone who
considers me to be their enemy to spend on liquor costs at some bar. And as
far as a will goes, making someone my beneficiary *is* legally willing all
my belongings to him. Same meaning, just different terms.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Legacy of tools--and Old idea

Here's an idea I entertained a few years ago while working for a
woodworking magazine. I think I suggested it to the editors, but I
can't remember. I've told a few people.

It seems to me that we have a bunch of older woodworkers with good
tools and a limited population of young woodworkers who can't, because
they are trying to
establish themselves, with no tools or cheap tools.

I suggest that someone--ideally an organization representing the
woodworking community--set up a way for old woodworkers to leave those
tools their family or
friends don't want to an organization who would distribute them to
young woodworkers who are just starting the hobby.

The criteria could be:

1. Young woodworkers would submit an essay or some other statement
about why they want to pursue woodworking, e.g. philosophy, design
ideas, stories, or even
samples of what they have already accomplished.
2. Older woodworkers would will their tools to the organization (a pro
bono lawyer would have to work on the wording of such an addendum).
3. The organization, let's call it "Tools for the Future," would
redestribute tools, and in the case of heavy machinery like Shopsmiths
or cabinet saws, probably
redistribute primarily based on geographic proximity.
3. Tool recipients would keep a running journal or blog online telling
how they are using the tools or pictures of what they've build or
stories about how they organized
their shop around the new equipment.They would also need to sign an
agreement not to resell the tools to discourage poachers and posers.
4. A lot of this could be organized on a Web site.
5. Tool companies that pride themselves on the longevity of their
equipment--Powermatic, Shopsmith--could advertise.

There are probably a dozen other details to work out (e.g. storage) but
I think it's still an idea worth of consideration.

Or did I post this same idea here 5 years ago? I'm getting old and
forgetful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:54:48 -0500, Mark Blum
wrote:

I too have no kids and we have no intention to have any. Since I'm
still relatively young (39), I haven't really put any thought into this
topic, although certainly one could go at any time. I do have one
young nephew who might someday be interested, but there are no other
relative options beyond him. At least my wife knows that there is
significant value in my shop, although if we both go at the same time
in some accident or something, I'm not sure any of my other relatives
would know that.

I like the idea of finding one person who is working with a starter
shop and give them an instant upgrade. There are no woodworking clubs
in my area (surprising), but perhaps down the road when I am getting up
there in years that will change and I will encounter more folks in such
a situation.

A few years back, I took a woodworking "class" through the tech.
school, and there was a fair range people there that were to use the
big equipment the school had that they didn't have at home- evidently,
this had been going on for some years, and it was less a class than an
opportunity for locals to rent shop time on the cheap. Might be an
interesting way to meet other woodworkers.

-Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:11:31 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"J T" wrote in message
Personally, I want to be cremated, and might's well
take my whole shop with me.

Savin' up for that blast furnace to melt everything down are you?

There's no need to save up for that- if I can make a blast furnace on
the cheap, I'm sure a handy guy like JOAT can too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Jan 2007 13:52:30 -0800, "Bobthepenguy"
wrote:

Here's an idea I entertained a few years ago while working for a
woodworking magazine. I think I suggested it to the editors, but I
can't remember. I've told a few people.

It seems to me that we have a bunch of older woodworkers with good
tools and a limited population of young woodworkers who can't, because
they are trying to
establish themselves, with no tools or cheap tools.

I suggest that someone--ideally an organization representing the
woodworking community--set up a way for old woodworkers to leave those
tools their family or
friends don't want to an organization who would distribute them to
young woodworkers who are just starting the hobby.

That's a really good idea, and has been implemented for other items in
Masonic lodges for some time. Here's to hoping that something like
that is around when I need it (probably about 75 years from now, if
the other men in my family are anything to go by- maybe more, as I'm
signifgantly more clean-living then most of them)
Posted to rec.woodworking

In my state, the executor is not obligated to pay any of the deceased's
debts unless he is instructed to do so in the will. It is the descision
of the heirs whether to pay the debts or not. If they decide not to,
the debts are just written off by the creditors or they can file claims
in probate court if that is how the estate is handled. IN my state you
have to post legal notice that anyone wanting to make a claim has X
amount of time to do so.

Whatever you own when you die is used first to pay off any unpaid
debts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
mortar on top of the shop, load my ashes in, and shoot me into the
breeze. Hmm, maybe that should be a condition for inheriting? Where'd
I put my will?

Your tools and workshop are gone. Better make sure you've got something else
for somebody to inherit otherwise your ashes might find their way into the
nearest latrine.

Legacy Ornamental Mill Paul Guzman Woodturning 5 March 14th 17 12:41 PM
FS Legacy Milling Machine Rich Coers Woodturning 0 February 24th 05 03:46 AM
Legacy Art Ransom Woodturning 0 January 4th 05 03:09 PM
Legacy Art Ransom Woodworking 0 January 4th 05 03:08 PM
Legacy ornamental mill JPEracing Woodworking 1 January 20th 04 03:57 PM