Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Info on pen turning?

I've done quite a bit of small carpentry type projects and always been
interested in woodworking. I've always been interested in building
furniture and using better woods than pine. However up till now never had
the chance to either build a furniture piece or to use better woods. I have
a Shopsmith and recently I've purchased some other tools (miter saw, biscuit
joiner, nice router and table) in anticipation of attempting something.
Just recently while getting acquainted with woodworking newsgroups I
encountered a picture of a pen that someone had done. I'd never even
thought about this before and I was actually thinking thats kind of a neat
idea, I wonder how they thought of it? Then just yesterday I went into a
hardware store that I had not been in before and there is a section of pen
turning blanks, a book on pen turning, some pen hardware of various types
and some other assorted stuff. Wow, the light comes on!

This looks really interesting to me as a small projects way of working with
wood when I don't feel like taking on something big. I was hoping that
someone might like to make some comments about doing pen turning as well as
just going over some basics about how to get started, anything special that
would be needed beyond what I might have now and such. I see there are
several types of pen hardware and I could use some info on how the different
types work and what to look for if I gave these as gifts to people. What
types of pen hardware can be used that will be easy for them to find refills
for and which ones do I avoid. Stuff like that. Also I've always wanted to
try using the lathe for something and this will be my first thing. Can a
full size lathe like the Shopsmith be used for this and do you also use the
full size lathe chisels or does this require something special?

I hope this gives enough background to let you understand that I think I can
do this and have the equipment but just need a little advice and nudges to
get started. I've searched amazon.com and found dozens and dozens of
books, any that are highly recommended at this point for someone like me?

I'm thinking about producing some that would basically be just straight
barrels and then working up to those with various shapes. Good plan?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Warren and Paula Jo Merrill" wrote in message
snip
This looks really interesting to me as a small projects way of working
with wood when I don't feel like taking on something big. I was hoping
that someone might like to make some comments about doing pen turning as
well as just going over some basics about how to get started, anything
special that would be needed beyond what I might have now and such.

snip

I've just started turning pens (2 months+/-) and really enjoy it. Rather
than try to explain how
here are a few of the sites I marked for myself and go to a lot.

http://www.pennstateind.com/ everything you need for pens - get the free
dvd to see how to turn a pen.

http://www.touchofwood.com/generic15.html another example of how to turn a
pen.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/portal.asp

good luck and enjoy

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

In article , Warren and Paula Jo
Merrill wrote:

This looks really interesting to me as a small projects way of working with
wood when I don't feel like taking on something big. I was hoping that
someone might like to make some comments about doing pen turning as well as
just going over some basics about how to get started,

Warren,

Penn State Industries just outside of Philadelphia has a complete line
of kits, parts, and pen making supplies.

http://www.pennstateindustries.com/

Go to their web site and browse around. There is a LOT of info there,
then have them send their catalog to you.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

Beware. Pen turning can consume you. It can lead you into all sorts of
other stuff and can become very expensive if you let it. DAMHIKT

I have been turning pens for about 18 months. Had to learn how to sharpen
tools. Learned a lot about drilling materials. Learned a lot about
different glues. Spent a lot of time experimenting with different finishes
/ techniques. Ventured into turning exotic woods, plastic, acrylic, corian,
antler, horn, corn cobs, aluminum and so on. There is a lot of information
on the internet about turning pens. Some of it is even inspirational.

Most pens will typically use Cross or Parker refills (depending on the type
of pen you choose).

Some places you may want to check out include:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/portal.asp

http://www.penmakersguild.com/

Good luck in your new adventure.

Tom
Arlington, TX
--
Measure twice, cut once... if it is too
short, consider design modification...

pen turning Richard Thompson Woodturning 2 January 3rd 07 12:08 PM
Pen Turning Mark Russell Woodturning 9 April 19th 06 12:31 PM
pen turning Big John Woodturning 2 October 9th 05 03:55 AM
Pen Turning? harryc Woodturning 4 March 13th 05 07:44 PM
Pen Turning Tools Ken Jarvie Woodturning 1 January 20th 05 01:20 PM