Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chess Board and CD Rack

I had a few days off over the holidays, so I tried to put them to good
use making sawdust....

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/holidayprojects.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
I had a few days off over the holidays, so I tried to put them to good
use making sawdust....

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/holidayprojects.htm

Very nice. I'd like to do a chessboard like that for my son. How
difficult was it to make the top? Any tips?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

I had a few days off over the holidays, so I tried to put them to good
use making sawdust....

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/holidayprojects.htm

Well done!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
I had a few days off over the holidays, so I tried to put them to good
use making sawdust....

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/holidayprojects.htm

Very nice. I'd like to do a chessboard like that for my son. How
difficult was it to make the top? Any tips?

-Jim

The real secret to the top was a tip I stumbled across in a magazine:
Start by gluing up 8 alternating-color strips in whatever width you want
the final squares to be. In other words, for a 16 x 16 board, use 2" x
8" strips. Once this dries, recut the panel into 8 strips again going in
the opposite direction across the two colors. Now if you invert every
other strip and glue them back together, you are left with a perfect
chessboard (hopefully). I came back and glued trim around the outside
edges just to finish it off.

It was not too hard, but I would caution that you try to be very precise
in your cuts. I have a cheap table saw with a fence to match, and that
made the process a little more difficult than it should have been.

Charlie
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nice work. And luckly for us, they didn't make blu-ray cases the
same size as dvd cases, thus ensuring pretty much continual work
in the media storage construction field.

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
I had a few days off over the holidays, so I tried to put them to good
use making sawdust....

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/holidayprojects.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:
Beautiful work

Thanks!

VENEERED CHESS BOARD J T Woodworking 0 August 24th 06 04:40 AM
VENEERED CHESS BOARD J T Woodworking 0 March 11th 05 05:07 AM
Finishing A Veneered Chess Board Sam Berlyn Woodworking 0 December 10th 04 07:11 AM
CHESS BOARD T. Woodworking 0 October 30th 03 06:37 AM
chess board needs some pieces... Silvan Woodworking 17 October 2nd 03 11:20 PM