Posted to rec.woodworking

Default planer / planing question

Hey All,
First, this did not happen to me but while I was planing some oak
boards today I was pondering this scenario;
What would occur if you ran a tapered board through a thickness planer,
thin end first, and the thicker end was greater than the maximum
cutting cappacity of the cutterhead? Would the board become stopped by
the front edge of the planer so it could not be presented to the feed
rollers and then cutterhead?
Thanks in advance.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

The board would be wedged between the infeed table and front edge of
the planer. Howerver, I would not recommend proving the theory.

Next time you're plaining, and need to ponder...how about solutions to
world peace?

Happy new year!

marc rosen wrote:
Hey All,
First, this did not happen to me but while I was planing some oak
boards today I was pondering this scenario;
What would occur if you ran a tapered board through a thickness planer,
thin end first, and the thicker end was greater than the maximum
cutting cappacity of the cutterhead? Would the board become stopped by
the front edge of the planer so it could not be presented to the feed
rollers and then cutterhead?
Thanks in advance.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

The planer will start to bog down and eventually stop. Depending on the
drive system you might have some smoking belts or you might throw a
circuit on the machine or at the source. I've done all three ;^)

marc rosen wrote:
Hey All,
First, this did not happen to me but while I was planing some oak
boards today I was pondering this scenario;
What would occur if you ran a tapered board through a thickness planer,
thin end first, and the thicker end was greater than the maximum
cutting cappacity of the cutterhead? Would the board become stopped by
the front edge of the planer so it could not be presented to the feed
rollers and then cutterhead?
Thanks in advance.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, the machine has a maximum thickness which can be removed. If the board
presents more than the design, then the board will stop. The rollers will
spin, and the blades or rollers will likely cause burn marks. The machine
may begin to overheat and may eventually trip the breaker, or burn some
sensitive elements in the machine.

So, it pays to review the entire length of the board to determine the planer
setting.

Dave Paine.
"marc rosen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey All,
First, this did not happen to me but while I was planing some oak
boards today I was pondering this scenario;
What would occur if you ran a tapered board through a thickness planer,
thin end first, and the thicker end was greater than the maximum
cutting cappacity of the cutterhead? Would the board become stopped by
the front edge of the planer so it could not be presented to the feed
rollers and then cutterhead?
Thanks in advance.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have two planers and neither will bog down or smoke belts the drive
rollers just slip and you can reset(cranker open) more if the bed locks are
not set. On the big one with steel drive rollers there is no damage but the
small one with rubber drive rollers takes a beating(drive rollers get
ripped, torn worn depending on how rough the lumber is.
ups.com...

marc rosen wrote:
Hey All,
First, this did not happen to me but while I was planing some oak
boards today I was pondering this scenario;
What would occur if you ran a tapered board through a thickness planer,
thin end first, and the thicker end was greater than the maximum
cutting cappacity of the cutterhead? Would the board become stopped by
the front edge of the planer so it could not be presented to the feed
rollers and then cutterhead?
Thanks in advance.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Dec 2006 16:03:43 -0800, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

The planer will start to bog down and eventually stop. Depending on the
drive system you might have some smoking belts or you might throw a
circuit on the machine or at the source. I've done all three ;^)

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. It's not pretty. It was a
learning experience. I now set the planer with respect to the max
thickness of the board and go from there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey All,
First, this did not happen to me but while I was planing some oak
boards today I was pondering this scenario;
What would occur if you ran a tapered board through a thickness planer,
thin end first, and the thicker end was greater than the maximum
cutting cappacity of the cutterhead? Would the board become stopped by
the front edge of the planer so it could not be presented to the feed
rollers and then cutterhead?

I thought all planers had some depth-of-cut limiter on the infeed side of
the case. Means the board will never make it to the cutterhead, but catch
outside.

One possible fix for this is to raise the cutter (lower the bed) if the
board encounters the feed limiter. Not that I've ever pushed my luck and
had to do it of course.

If you get a couple of dog boards you may find it easier to saw a bit off
either end than keep feeding the planer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It does happen.
When I was running my store I had sold a customer a Jet 15" Planer. I
believe that this unit had about a maxium height/thickness of six
inches. The customer had the unit opened to maxium cut and was feeding
a 6 X 6 22 foot white oak barn beam through the unit. Only thing was
the beam was tapered and when the beam got about half way through, no
more room and the beam was hung up tight!

My customer called me and I went out to see if and how I could help.
The beam was a special order beam and very expensive, so No cutting the
beam out. The beam would not go in because of the taper and would noy
come ourt because of the kick back fingers!

Ended up taking the planer apart. What a job! Worked out Ok was able
to save the beam and the planer. Customer finished the beam with a new
Hitachi electric hand plane that I sold him

Mike .

On Dec 31, 8:07 am, "George" wrote:
"marc rosen" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Hey All,
First, this did not happen to me but while I was planing some oak
boards today I was pondering this scenario;
What would occur if you ran a tapered board through a thickness planer,
thin end first, and the thicker end was greater than the maximum
cutting cappacity of the cutterhead? Would the board become stopped by
the front edge of the planer so it could not be presented to the feed
rollers and then cutterhead?I thought all planers had some depth-of-cut limiter on the infeed side of

the case. Means the board will never make it to the cutterhead, but catch
outside.

One possible fix for this is to raise the cutter (lower the bed) if the
board encounters the feed limiter. Not that I've ever pushed my luck and
had to do it of course.

If you get a couple of dog boards you may find it easier to saw a bit off
either end than keep feeding the planer.

Planer question Dick Snyder Woodworking 1 March 16th 06 09:06 PM
Question about planing Jacobe Hazzard Woodworking 15 October 27th 04 05:03 PM
Planing Question Carl Koop Woodworking 9 May 10th 04 01:02 AM
Neander question: face "jointing" and thickness planing Dennis M. O'Connor Woodworking 6 September 19th 03 08:14 AM