Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What shall I do with it?

I have just been given a standard sized (8 or so seater) table. The wood
mostly is solid Tasmanian Oak. Tassie Oak is what many pieces of 'fine'
Aussie furniture was (and some still are) made from. I say 'mostly' as some
of the parts under the table are of cheap pine and to make it worse the
construction is crude and artless - screws everywhere.The top is made of
three solid boards with beautiful grain.
I don't really need a table - I have two too many now! So what shall I do
with it, dismantle it and wait for the muse to strike? Or clean it up and
sell it?

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
news
I have just been given a standard sized (8 or so seater) table. The wood
mostly is solid Tasmanian Oak. Tassie Oak is what many pieces of 'fine'
Aussie furniture was (and some still are) made from. I say 'mostly' as
some
of the parts under the table are of cheap pine and to make it worse the
construction is crude and artless - screws everywhere.The top is made of
three solid boards with beautiful grain.
I don't really need a table - I have two too many now! So what shall I do
with it, dismantle it and wait for the muse to strike? Or clean it up and
sell it?

Assuming you can't sell it as a table, I would hold onto it as wood.
But if you sell it as lumber, don't clean it up. For all you know, the
buyer wants to do something entirely different with the wood and your
cleaning has ruined it for him.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You already know the answer...lol, pull her apart, bin the screws, place
timber in a corner, and wait. The word will come as to the purpose.

O, and Happy New Year,

Mike

"Mekon" wrote in message
news
I have just been given a standard sized (8 or so seater) table. The wood
mostly is solid Tasmanian Oak. Tassie Oak is what many pieces of 'fine'
Aussie furniture was (and some still are) made from. I say 'mostly' as

some
of the parts under the table are of cheap pine and to make it worse the
construction is crude and artless - screws everywhere.The top is made of
three solid boards with beautiful grain.
I don't really need a table - I have two too many now! So what shall I do
with it, dismantle it and wait for the muse to strike? Or clean it up and
sell it?

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mekon wrote:

I don't really need a table - I have two too many now! So what

shall I do
with it, dismantle it and wait for the muse to strike? Or clean it

up and
sell it?

You already know the answer.

Make a new bottom that is up to your specs, attach that beautiful top,
then set a price in your mind.

Now double that price and sell it.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
news
I have just been given a standard sized (8 or so seater) table. The wood
mostly is solid Tasmanian Oak. Tassie Oak is what many pieces of 'fine'
Aussie furniture was (and some still are) made from. I say 'mostly' as
some
of the parts under the table are of cheap pine and to make it worse the
construction is crude and artless - screws everywhere.The top is made of
three solid boards with beautiful grain.
I don't really need a table - I have two too many now! So what shall I do
with it, dismantle it and wait for the muse to strike? Or clean it up and
sell it?

Mekon

Next time you're in Burbank, drop it off at my place and have a beer or
Scotch Whisky if you prefer.

First rule of woodworking; Never throw away a good piece of wood!

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mekon wrote:
I have just been given a standard sized (8 or so seater) table. The wood
mostly is solid Tasmanian Oak. Tassie Oak is what many pieces of 'fine'
Aussie furniture was (and some still are) made from. I say 'mostly' as some
of the parts under the table are of cheap pine and to make it worse the
construction is crude and artless - screws everywhere.The top is made of
three solid boards with beautiful grain.
I don't really need a table - I have two too many now! So what shall I do
with it, dismantle it and wait for the muse to strike? Or clean it up and
sell it?

Tasmanian Oak is highly toxic. You should dismantle the table and ship
the top to me for proper disposal.