Posted to rec.woodworking

Default drill press chuck wobble

The brand new Delta X5 (I think there's only one X5 model) drill press
has a noticeable wobble at the chuck and bit. The holes *seem* to be
OK (though I've not checked them with a micrometer :-), but I'm
concerned about this wobble.

Is it normal, or should I seek a repair?

Thanx
Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message
The brand new Delta X5 (I think there's only one X5 model) drill press
has a noticeable wobble at the chuck and bit. The holes *seem* to be
OK (though I've not checked them with a micrometer :-), but I'm
concerned about this wobble.

Is it normal, or should I seek a repair?

Unseat and clean the taper first.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:
The brand new Delta X5 (I think there's only one X5 model) drill press
has a noticeable wobble at the chuck and bit. The holes *seem* to be
OK (though I've not checked them with a micrometer :-), but I'm
concerned about this wobble.

Is it normal, or should I seek a repair?

Thanx
Renata

The runout (wobble) should be too small to see without a dial
indicator. Delta should fix it for you. But first, remove the chuck
and clean the male and female tapers. Reinstall.

DonkeyHody
"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in
practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Posted to rec.woodworking

Checking the inside of a Morse taper with an inside micrometer is not
recommended.

Using a plug gage will not do the job. A two metal balls kit is used a
small one and a larger one. You have to follow the right procedures.
Unless you have the proper equipment forget about it.

In your case, I would clean the inside taper with a lapping compound (a
metal/rust remover may do) and do the same thing on the taper shaft. Then
insert the spindle without hand pressure. If this does not work. As this
drill press is new, call Delta and explain the situation. I did this before
and they were very understanding. In some instance where the equipment is
too large they may have a contract with a local repair shop that does
service call. The last resort is to use machinist blue and hand scrape and
lapping fit (abrasive compound) the taper. The later is not recommended if
you have never done this before.

"Renata" wrote in message
The brand new Delta X5 (I think there's only one X5 model) drill press
has a noticeable wobble at the chuck and bit. The holes *seem* to be
OK (though I've not checked them with a micrometer :-), but I'm
concerned about this wobble.

Is it normal, or should I seek a repair?

Thanx
Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

Renata wrote:
The brand new Delta X5 (I think there's only one X5 model) drill press
has a noticeable wobble at the chuck and bit. The holes *seem* to be
OK (though I've not checked them with a micrometer :-), but I'm
concerned about this wobble.

Is it normal, or should I seek a repair?

Thanx
Renata

I had same problem - severe wobble. Returned one and got second one
with less wobble. At the advice of a local Woodcraft store (didn't buy
it there) I removed the chuck and found a dent in the chuck taper,
about 3/32" diameter. I used rotary tool to remove the burr around the
dent and then sanded some (carefully). This greatly reduced the
run-out. I am still somewhat disappointed in the run-out on this tool
and may try some lapping. I had called Delta and they said the measured
run-out was 'acceptable' and gave me no recourse.

Good luck,

Bob