Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Maybe it escapes only me

I was at a Woodcraft today trying to decide how to spend the giftcard I got
for Xmas (Yea Me!). I was looking at items for final honing of my various
blades. The strops that they sold were around $30 and the honing paste was
$2 something. Now I have to tell you, but to my untrained eye, those strops
looked a lot like a block of wood with a piece of leather glued to them.
Now, if that is the case, then it strikes me that I can probably glue a
piece of belt blank or a piece of a leather coat that got ripped recently to
a piece of wood and get the same effect. Am I missing something? Is there
something special about the leather that I need to account for? Maybe its
the wood. Is it some exotic Honduran stropwood?

Hope everyone's Christmas was good.

SteveP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Highland Pairos" wrote in message
I was at a Woodcraft today trying to decide how to spend the giftcard I got
for Xmas (Yea Me!). I was looking at items for final honing of my various
blades. The strops that they sold were around $30 and the honing paste was
$2 something. Now I have to tell you, but to my untrained eye, those
strops looked a lot like a block of wood with a piece of leather glued to
them. Now, if that is the case, then it strikes me that I can probably glue
a piece of belt blank or a piece of a leather coat that got ripped recently
to a piece of wood and get the same effect. Am I missing something? Is
there something special about the leather that I need to account for?
Maybe its the wood. Is it some exotic Honduran stropwood?

Hope everyone's Christmas was good.

Can only tell you that a piece of belt leather and compound has been putting
a great edge on my stuff for about fifteen years. Belt was from an old
jackshaft, so the leather's full quarter inch. Allows me some contouring.

On the subject of wood, it's often used as a base for stropping or honing
compound.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:33:09 GMT, "Highland Pairos"
wrote:

I was at a Woodcraft today trying to decide how to spend the giftcard I got
for Xmas (Yea Me!). I was looking at items for final honing of my various
blades. The strops that they sold were around $30 and the honing paste was
$2 something. Now I have to tell you, but to my untrained eye, those strops
looked a lot like a block of wood with a piece of leather glued to them.
Now, if that is the case, then it strikes me that I can probably glue a
piece of belt blank or a piece of a leather coat that got ripped recently to
a piece of wood and get the same effect. Am I missing something? Is there
something special about the leather that I need to account for? Maybe its
the wood. Is it some exotic Honduran stropwood?

I've thought the same thing when looking at those strops. Seems a bit
spendy for a piece of leather glued to a shaped piece of wood. I've saved
my old leather apron for that very purpose.

Now, the honing paste may be worth the price.

Hope everyone's Christmas was good.

Yep.

SteveP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Now, the honing paste may be worth the price.

I bet certain types of toothpaste work perfectly... and will whiten
your chisels and plane irons while making them minty fresh.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

"brianlanning" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Mark & Juanita wrote:
| Now, the honing paste may be worth the price.
|
| I bet certain types of toothpaste work perfectly... and will whiten
| your chisels and plane irons while making them minty fresh.

An aircraft mechanic buddy shaved part of a bar of grinding compound
into a can with his pocket knife and added mineral spirits. When the
crumbles had dissolved, he dipped a rag into the mix and used it to
polish a plane.

I liked the simplicity. Went to my shop and attacked a white bar with
an old SurForm plane blade and added mineral spirits - saved the mix
in a plastic bottle for sharpening. It works well.

BTW, LV has a leather belt that fits my little 1"x42" belt sander. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can only tell you that a piece of belt leather and compound has been
putting a great edge on my stuff for about fifteen years. Belt was from
an old jackshaft, so the leather's full quarter inch. Allows me some
contouring.

OK - Time for the old fellows to weigh in. One of my earliest memories of
barber shops probably goes back 56 years or more. I remember sitting in the
chair watching the barber at the next chair sharpening a straight razor on a
long leather strop. If you watch old westerns you will see the same thing.
Long leather strops, hanging from the back of a barber chair or his bench
were standard equipment for many years. I don't recall seeing one lately.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

Anybody remember the old "Pepsident" commercials (c. late 1950's early
1960's):

"..... with zironium silicate! Put's PIZZAZZ in your smile!"

Zirconium silicate is zircon, a commercial abrasive around 8-9 on the
Mohs hardness scale.

-Zz

On 26 Dec 2006 15:14:45 -0800, "brianlanning"
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Now, the honing paste may be worth the price.

I bet certain types of toothpaste work perfectly... and will whiten
your chisels and plane irons while making them minty fresh.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:

OK - Time for the old fellows to weigh in. One of my earliest

memories of
barber shops probably goes back 56 years or more. I remember sitting

in the
chair watching the barber at the next chair sharpening a straight

razor on a
long leather strop. If you watch old westerns you will see the same

thing.
Long leather strops, hanging from the back of a barber chair or his

bench
were standard equipment for many years. I don't recall seeing one

lately.

NO, and you probably won't, thanks to the lawyers.

When is the last time you saw a straight razor in a barber shop?

When is the last time you saw somebody get a shave with a straight razor?

Hot towels wrapped over your face with a little hole left for breathing.

Short deft strokes. Wipe the hot lather and cut whiskers from the blade,
after each stroke, on a piece of paper resting on your shoulder as you
lay almost prone in the barber chair.

That shot of aftershave when the shave was finished.

Saturday afternoon in the fall, the Ohio State football game on the
radio, getting a shave for that hot Saturday night date.

Those were the days my friend.

If you could afford a barber shop shave and a Saturday night night date,
it had been a good week.

Don't even find a straight razor being used for the final neck trim any
more, just a funky little electric trimmer.

It's just not the same.

Was told it is a liability issue with the insurance companies.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Now, the honing paste may be worth the price.

I bet certain types of toothpaste work perfectly... and will whiten
your chisels and plane irons while making them minty fresh.

brian

If so, one should begin wondering what those toothpastes are doing to
one's teeth.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
RonB wrote:

... watching the barber ... sharpening a straight razor on a
long leather strop. ...

NO, and you probably won't, thanks to the lawyers.

When is the last time you saw a straight razor in a barber shop?

Saturday a week ago (I didn't make it in this week... )

When is the last time you saw somebody get a shave with a straight razor?

Saturday week somebody else, I see myself every morning in the mirror
(on the mornings I shave, anyway... )

Don't even find a straight razor being used for the final neck trim any
more, just a funky little electric trimmer.

It's just not the same.

Was told it is a liability issue with the insurance companies.

Barbers still use them here for the neck trim, too.

I suspect if they don't where you are it's either the local guys are
just young and never learned the skill/art or your State has eliminated
them for a perceived health issue. I really doubt the lawyers are to
blame here (not that there aren't enough areas for which they do bear
responsibility.. )

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I was at a Woodcraft today trying to decide how to spend the giftcard I got
for Xmas (Yea Me!). I was looking at items for final honing of my various
blades. The strops that they sold were around $30 and the honing paste was
$2 something. Now I have to tell you, but to my untrained eye, those strops
looked a lot like a block of wood with a piece of leather glued to them.
Now, if that is the case, then it strikes me that I can probably glue a
piece of belt blank or a piece of a leather coat that got ripped recently to
a piece of wood and get the same effect. Am I missing something? Is there
something special about the leather that I need to account for? Maybe its
the wood. Is it some exotic Honduran stropwood?

Hope everyone's Christmas was good.

SteveP.

When I was a boy I went to a barber who would give you a haircut - and
a shave - if you were in need.

Next to his chair was a strip of leather, tanned and finished on one
side and buckskin raw on the other.

When he got to the point of doing the sideburns and the blocking on
the back of the neck - he would take a straight razor and strop it on
the leather - then he'd carefully swipe the offending hairs away from
his creation.

That's been a while ago. About the same time that I last saw a copy
of Police Gazzette.

sigh...

(Norman Rockwell - what would you paint today)

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
Barbers still use them here for the neck trim, too.

I suspect if they don't where you are it's either the local guys are
just young and never learned the skill/art or your State has eliminated
them for a perceived health issue. I really doubt the lawyers are to
blame here (not that there aren't enough areas for which they do bear
responsibility.. )

My barber has been cutting and shaving for about 60 years but no longer uses
the straight edge. Health issues and Aids stopped it. I'm not sure if it
is a state mandate or insurance, but they have not used them for over 15
years now.

I'd ask him, but it seems as though I no longer need his services.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Highland Pairos" wrote in message
The strops that they sold were around $30 and the honing paste was $2
something. Now I have to tell you, but to my untrained eye, those strops
looked a lot like a block of wood with a piece of leather glued to them.
Now, if that is the case, then it strikes me that I can probably glue a
piece of belt blank or a piece of a leather coat that got ripped recently
to a piece of wood and get the same effect. Am I missing something?

Sorry, it won't work. Strop need to be made professionally and you don't
have the skills. Next thing you know, you'll be trying to make your own
furniture and stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
My barber has been cutting and shaving for about 60 years but no longer

uses
the straight edge.
I'd ask him, but it seems as though I no longer need his services.

For approximately the past year, I'm in the same position where I've
dispensed with the services of a barber. With the small amount of hair on
top, for over a dozen years, I'd been having a barber trim it down to almost
flush with the skin and they'd been charging me their standard $25 for ten
minutes worth of work. It occurred to me about a year ago to spend $40 on an
electric cutter for hair and I've been trimming it down myself ever since.
It's convenient and doesn't cost me a cent anymore. Don't know why I didn't
think of it years ago.

Only benefit I can think of being almost bald, that and I buy shampoo a lot
less frequently.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Highland Pairos wrote:
I was at a Woodcraft today trying to decide how to spend the giftcard I got
for Xmas (Yea Me!). I was looking at items for final honing of my various
blades. The strops that they sold were around $30 [snip] Am I missing something? Is there
something special about the leather that I need to account for?

Well, yes. The strop-grade leather is grain orientated along spinal
lines. Those selected elk are raised on very narrow farms with a
north/south direction. They shave the elk on a regular schedule in
order to pre-condition the leather. Elk shavers are a dying breed. That
is why stropping leather is seldom used any more. I thought everybody
knew that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
RonB wrote:

OK - Time for the old fellows to weigh in. One of my earliest

memories of
barber shops probably goes back 56 years or more. I remember sitting

in the
chair watching the barber at the next chair sharpening a straight

razor on a
long leather strop. If you watch old westerns you will see the same

thing.
Long leather strops, hanging from the back of a barber chair or his

bench
were standard equipment for many years. I don't recall seeing one

lately.

NO, and you probably won't, thanks to the lawyers.
When is the last time you saw a straight razor in a barber shop?

Last July at the Minneapolis airport the guy shaved my head for $20.
It is hard to find anymore though cause I have looked.

This barber agreed and said that he only knows a few and he should
know. Turns out my head was being shave by the most prominent barber
in the state. He not only owns the only barber shop at the airport but
also the barber shop at the state capitol. also said that he is the
head of the state licsensing for barbers.

So this guy is a rare barber and it has become hard to find a real
barber shop that is equipped for a shave with the hot foam, hot towels,
and the strraight razor. Most can only give you a buzz cut with the
shears getting it as close as they can. the good ones will vaccuum
your head after. With the bad ones you just have a lot of stubble till
you shower.

So anyway last sumer finally decided to just keep it shaved til the
weather turned. There are websites and forums for those who shave the
head. Basically it just take some patience and practice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Dec 2006 18:08:16 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

Elk shavers are a dying breed.

You got me. You finally got me speechless. I seen you do something
with your mouth that I never thought to see done. It's amazing to me
that I never seen nothing like this nowheres else on nobody's
nothing...

(tony soprano)

I'm hanging with you for the irony...(tw)

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Where can I find plans for making a strop?
Is it best to use it hide side out or flesh side out?
Is cow leather the best? How about horse, ox, pig, or
mother in law?

Art

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

Sorry, it won't work. Strop need to be made professionally and you don't
have the skills. Next thing you know, you'll be trying to make your own
furniture and stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, "Robatoy" wrote:

Highland Pairos wrote:
I was at a Woodcraft today trying to decide how to spend the giftcard I got
for Xmas (Yea Me!). I was looking at items for final honing of my various
blades. The strops that they sold were around $30 [snip] Am I missing

something? Is there
something special about the leather that I need to account for?

Well, yes. The strop-grade leather is grain orientated along spinal
lines. Those selected elk are raised on very narrow farms with a
north/south direction. They shave the elk on a regular schedule in
order to pre-condition the leather. Elk shavers are a dying breed. That
is why stropping leather is seldom used any more. I thought everybody
knew that.

Oh deer, and I thought it was just the tale of an elk!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
It occurred to me about a year ago to spend $40 on an
electric cutter for hair and I've been trimming it down myself ever since.
It's convenient and doesn't cost me a cent anymore. Don't know why I
didn't
think of it years ago.

Only benefit I can think of being almost bald, that and I buy shampoo a
lot
less frequently.

I bought a Wahl trimmer a couple of years ago. A few passes every week or
so keeps it in good condition.

Hair is over rated. I don't worry about wind messing anything up, I don't
worry about a hat messing up my pompadour, I don't worry about hair in the
face when swimming. I do, however, take precautions for sunburn.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
On 26 Dec 2006 18:08:16 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

Elk shavers are a dying breed.

You got me. You finally got me speechless. I seen you do something
with your mouth that I never thought to see done. It's amazing to me
that I never seen nothing like this nowheres else on nobody's
nothing...

(tony soprano)

I'm hanging with you for the irony...(tw)

I can always use a hand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Dec 2006 19:41:47 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:

I'm hanging with you for the irony...(tw)

I can always use a hand.

I'm there for you bro.

Why don't you help me beat up on Foxed News people...

they really are hateful, you know.

do they allow Foxed News in Kanuckistan?

I thought that Mulroney was gone.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 00:23:00 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

RonB wrote:

[...]

I've been going to the same guy for 20+ years and he still uses a straight
razor. It is, however, going out of style with the younger barbers.
Alas.

D. G. Adams

Those were the days my friend.

If you could afford a barber shop shave and a Saturday night night date,
it had been a good week.

Don't even find a straight razor being used for the final neck trim any
more, just a funky little electric trimmer.

It's just not the same.

Was told it is a liability issue with the insurance companies.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

Why don't you help me beat up on Foxed News people...

LOL... My guy is Keith Olbermann, is that so wrong? O'Reilly is a
douche-nozzle.
That man is so repulsive, that even as a source for humour he sucks.

they really are hateful, you know.

...and they distort the truth, if not the context, of many sound-bites
as well.
The Republican/Conservative parties have been hijacked by the
Perle/Wolfowitz-style mother****ers.
It is a useless rack to hang a hat on anymore. Unfortunately, the Dems
(Liberals) are a really poor alternative. So when people hear me rant
on about how we are getting screwed, they think I belong to one side or
the other. You'll understand this: assholes are bi-partisan. Corruption
has no membership cards. The media is owned by the same neo-cons. In my
favourite city, Toronto, they just canned a play which was about the
girl that was killed by an Israeli bulldozer---- the play might offend
some jews. Can you believe that?

do they allow Foxed News in Kanuckistan?

Yes, dammit.. I get it on my dish. I can't watch it. I tried. But I
don't know anybody who'd ever admit to watching it. CBC, BBC
International and The Guardian are pretty much my sources.
Whatreallyhappened.com is pretty level-headed source of links to news
stories. Then, for left news, Fark.com is my hang-out. now THAT is fair
and balanced.

I thought that Mulroney was gone.

*smirks*..it is worse now, Stephen Harper. A frickin' Bush puppet. A
Bilderberger.

Nowadays, one must look around for many sources of news and find
threads and snippets of truth. Sometimes it is really hard to
tell......but as long as they are flying in the dead soldiers in the
middle of the night.... the dark ages that we get warned about, are
here. At least for some people.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

The one I use now is a piece of old belt glued to a board. I have, over the
past 40 years, used the back of the belt that I was wearing (most common),
the top of a boot, a piece of cardboard, and a piece of MDF. If you sharpen
on a stone and are using the strop for final polish, forget the compound.
The leather works fine without it (ask any barber). If you use the strop to
maintain an edge (carving knives), the compound is helpful.

wrote:

[...]

-----+

-----+

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
If so, one should begin wondering what those toothpastes are doing to
one's teeth.

Toothpaste is just an abrasive paste with flouride, artificial
sweeteners, and other crud thrown in. I'm not sure what the grit is.
I've used some toothpastes before that were sort of gritty. I could
feel... something... crushing when I meshed my teeth together, almost
like I had sand in my mouth. And if I remember my history channel
correctly, the ancients would actually use sand to clean their teeth.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 03:08:28 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message
It occurred to me about a year ago to spend $40 on an
electric cutter for hair and I've been trimming it down myself ever since.
It's convenient and doesn't cost me a cent anymore. Don't know why I
didn't
think of it years ago.

Only benefit I can think of being almost bald, that and I buy shampoo a
lot
less frequently.

I bought a Wahl trimmer a couple of years ago. A few passes every week or
so keeps it in good condition.

Hair is over rated. I don't worry about wind messing anything up, I don't
worry about a hat messing up my pompadour, I don't worry about hair in the
face when swimming. I do, however, take precautions for sunburn.

Yeah, sunburn and I find I also get cold a lot faster unless I'm wearing
a hat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

brianlanning wrote:

Toothpaste is just an abrasive paste with flouride, artificial
sweeteners, and other crud thrown in. I'm not sure what the grit is.

snip

Have used toothpaste and a soft cotton cloth to polish scratches out of
a pedestal mounted compass on my last boat.

After all, it is on the same order as jeweler's rouge.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Dec 2006 20:23:02 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

.... snip

Nowadays, one must look around for many sources of news and find
threads and snippets of truth. Sometimes it is really hard to
tell......but as long as they are flying in the dead soldiers in the
middle of the night.... the dark ages that we get warned about, are
here. At least for some people.

Since you seem to have such a balance from the left side of things, the
following might give some pause for thought:
http://www.nysun.com/article/45705

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "brianlanning" wrote:
Mark & Juanita wrote:
If so, one should begin wondering what those toothpastes are doing to
one's teeth.

Toothpaste is just an abrasive paste with flouride, artificial
sweeteners, and other crud thrown in. I'm not sure what the grit is.
I've used some toothpastes before that were sort of gritty. I could
feel... something... crushing when I meshed my teeth together, almost
like I had sand in my mouth.

Probably simple baking soda -- that's what's used in at
least one of the "gritty" brands.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to rec.woodworking

We'll guys, my barber shop still uses straight razors for the final neck and
sideburn trim. And I did see a guy a year or so back get a shave while I got
my hair cut. These guys have been in the same shop in a strip mall since it
opened in 1960. Great part of history that's still going strong in Aurora,
IL.

Dan

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
RonB wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:

For approximately the past year, I'm in the same position where I've
dispensed with the services of a barber. With the small amount of hair on
top, for over a dozen years, I'd been having a barber trim it down to almost
flush with the skin and they'd been charging me their standard $25 for ten
minutes worth of work.

$10 here. With tip. I gave him $10 when the base cost was $7. Then when
it was $8 and now that it is $9 ... $10.

By the time the base price locally gets to $11, I doubt if I'll need his
services anymore ... and unlikely he'll be able to deliver them anyways. ;-)

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-2, 12/26/2006
Tested on: 12/27/2006 1:24:59 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

WoodButcher wrote:
Where can I find plans for making a strop?
Is it best to use it hide side out or flesh side out?
Is cow leather the best? How about horse, ox, pig, or
mother in law?

Nauga.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-2, 12/26/2006
Tested on: 12/27/2006 1:28:42 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On 26 Dec 2006 19:41:47 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:
Why don't you help me beat up on Foxed News people...

they really are hateful, you know.
Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

As one whom has no single news channel what exactly does fox do routinely or
"ever" that you find so distastful? Hateful?
Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Hair is over rated. I don't worry about wind messing anything up, I

don't
worry about a hat messing up my pompadour, I don't worry about hair in the
face when swimming. I do, however, take precautions for sunburn.

Yeah, I found out the hard way about a sunburn on the top of the head. A day
after being out in the sun for an hour and my scalp started to hurt. A quick
peek in the mirror confirmed sunburn, but that wasn't the hardest part of
the ordeal. After the sunburn came the flaking and what looked like the
worst case of deathly dandruff one could imagine.

Winter and summer now, I'm always wearing a baseball cap. Only downside to
that is that the wind catches it once in a while and I'm tearing down the
street chasing it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Since you seem to have such a balance from the left side of things, the
following might give some pause for thought:
http://www.nysun.com/article/45705

I read it. That article observes the same things I have seen and
worried about for a long time.
Walk around Amsterdam, the Paris suburbs, sections of Toronto already.
The path of Islam starts at the children. In some cases, fanatical
parents ship kids off to fanatical schools. All true. It seems
unstoppable.

After turning the Middle East into a sheet of green glass, where next?
Indonesia?
Is there a method to change the self-hatred into the hatred of others?
Where do we do this? In kindergarten? Immigration policies?
Isolationism?

Are you suggesting that Bush's orders from God are the path to solving
the Islamic cancer?
Is Bush following orders from Up High to do some global ethnic
cleansing?
Or is he just a puppet who is going to take the fall for a last-gasp
greed effort by the oil barons and defense contractors? (That Carlisle
package.) It's Big Business as usual. (Royal Dutch Shell was selling
fuel which powered Hitler's Wehrmacht during WW2.) Read a little
history on The Seven Sisters. Read up on Operation Northwoods while
you're at it. That document will give you a peek at what they are
capable of.

To use people as targets and fodder to further ambitions is wrong.
Creating enemies to 'go after' is wrong. To take a human life is
wrong.... unless he directly threatens the lives of those I care for,
and that decision doesn't belong to the sunnavabitch with a rocket to
sell.

It's not easy to state a view without somebody immediatly trying to
pigeon-hole you as either a lefty or a righty. Seems that the only way
nowadays, is to categorize somebody so we can say: "he's not one of us,
therefore a target." There are enough Ann Coulters out there already.

Wars must be fought, but you can't create a reason because it is good
for business.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

..and they distort the truth, if not the context, of many sound-bites
as well.

Example, please.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Are you suggesting that Bush's orders from God are the path to solving
the Islamic cancer?
Is Bush following orders from Up High to do some global ethnic
cleansing?

Why prattle off such senseless drivel?......Bush never claimed nor exercised
any such authority....is the intellect so lame that you can't find enough
real events or statements to find a exception with

Or is he just a puppet who is going to take the fall for a last-gasp
greed effort by the oil barons and defense contractors? (That Carlisle
package.) It's Big Business as usual. (Royal Dutch Shell was selling
fuel which powered Hitler's Wehrmacht during WW2.) Read a little
history on The Seven Sisters. Read up on Operation Northwoods while
you're at it. That document will give you a peek at what they are
capable of.

How much and during which years? I always thought it was the coal
gasification that kept the war machine going after they lost the large
eastern European fields

To use people as targets and fodder to further ambitions is wrong.
Creating enemies to 'go after' is wrong. To take a human life is
wrong.... unless he directly threatens the lives of those I care for,
and that decision doesn't belong to the sunnavabitch with a rocket to
sell.

It's not easy to state a view without somebody immediatly trying to
pigeon-hole you as either a lefty or a righty. Seems that the only way
nowadays, is to categorize somebody so we can say: "he's not one of us,
therefore a target." There are enough Ann Coulters out there already.

I kind of thought your occasional rants were a Ann Coulter parody albeit
considerably more exaggerated than she .....you mean your not a fan?

Wars must be fought, but you can't create a reason because it is good
for business.

One doesn't need a war for "business".....such a claim is tired at its best
and sorely lacking in any probative thought.....business can make money
selling widgets, rattles or even simply image......there can be profit made
in toasters as easy if not easier than tanks...... Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill in Detroit wrote:

Nauga.

I grew up near Naugatuck, often witnessing the great Uniroyal Nauga
hunts...