Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Waterlox vs. Behlems Rock Hard Table Top finish

I want to provide a finish on a mission style coffee table I've just
completed.

So far I stained it with a 50/50 mix of Transtint med brown and redish
brown in a 50/50 mix of laquer thinner and 99% IPA.

After that I applied a sealer coat of Shellac followed by a glaze of
General Finishes Van Dyke Brown. I must admit that the glaze really
made the qtr sawn white oak look great.

I want protection so I plan to either make a wiping finish from the
Behlems or use the Waterlox wipe on finish. Both products are gloss
so I plan to eventually use 0000 steel wool to create a low lustre
finish.

Any suggestions on whether to use Waterlox or Behlems Rock Hard??
I've never used Waterlox. Does it rub out OK?
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote in
:

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:43:35 -0800, henny wrote:

Any suggestions on whether to use Waterlox or Behlems Rock Hard??
I've never used Waterlox. Does it rub out OK?

Yes, IF you wait long enough, which is slightly longer for Waterlox.

I like Rockhard or McCloskey Gymseal for tables that might get a drink
set on them.

But Waterlox also works pretty well for that kind of stuff. Also stands up
to grandchildren well, too, if that is in your forecast. Dead easy to use,
too.

Best of New Years wishes!

Patriarch