Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Interesting dovetail jig

On the cover of the December 2006 woodworker's journal, there is a
picture of a PC 890 router atop an interesting dovetail jig. The
adjustable fingers on the jig are straight from a Leigh D4R. It even
has the square drive screws. But the leigh cam clamps aren't there,
it's the old style knobs from before the D4. There's also a partly
obscured label on the top hold down clamp which looks like it could be
the brand or manufacturer. It has the letters "OM" and most of the word
Joinery. There are also some depth stop setting devices on the template
that aren't on my D4. The magazine makes no mention of this jig
anywhere.

Any ideas what this is?

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

brianlanning wrote:
On the cover of the December 2006 woodworker's journal, there is a
picture of a PC 890 router atop an interesting dovetail jig. The
adjustable fingers on the jig are straight from a Leigh D4R. It even
has the square drive screws. But the leigh cam clamps aren't there,
it's the old style knobs from before the D4. There's also a partly
obscured label on the top hold down clamp which looks like it could be
the brand or manufacturer. It has the letters "OM" and most of the word
Joinery. There are also some depth stop setting devices on the template
that aren't on my D4. The magazine makes no mention of this jig
anywhere.

Any ideas what this is?

brian

As I remember it was described as the new Porter Cable Omnijig which
will come in two sizes. Unfortunately, the Woodworker's Journal was
enclosed in a plastic bag so you couldn't read the message from the
editor describing that it would be reviewed sometime next year. Kind of
miffed me as I bought the mag. thinking a review was inside. Never buy
a magazine you can't check out the table of contents in. Also miffs
that the same router tips are constantly rehashed by all of the
woodworking magazines. This issue once again gives us really spiffy
plans for a jig for cutting custom width dadoes using two edge guides.
Only the 999th time this year they have run this suggestion. However,
Woodworker's Journal often has some worthwhile plans-ideas inside.
Won't ever buy it when it's inside a bag however.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

will come in two sizes. Unfortunately, the Woodworker's Journal was
enclosed in a plastic bag so you couldn't read the message from the
editor describing that it would be reviewed sometime next year. Kind of
miffed me as I bought the mag. thinking a review was inside. Never buy
a magazine you can't check out the table of contents in.

Jeeezusss! ... the kindler, gentler world died sometime back in the early
70's, dude! These days you're supposed to rip the plastic off and leave it
on the floor for someone to trip over, while you read the magazine, spill
some coffee on it, and some sticky finger chocolate, before you leave it for
someone else to put back in the (wrong) rack.

On that same note, just in the last couple of weeks I've noticed many more
books that are "shrink-wrapped" on the shelves at B&N. Never saw it that
much in this part of the world (Houston, TX) until just recently.

.... but most customers seem to ignore them anyway, like they do red lights.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/16/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Jeeezusss! ... the kindler, gentler world died sometime back in the early
70's, dude! These days you're supposed to rip the plastic off and leave it
on the floor for someone to trip over, while you read the magazine, spill
some coffee on it, and some sticky finger chocolate, before you leave it for
someone else to put back in the (wrong) rack.

On that same note, just in the last couple of weeks I've noticed many more
books that are "shrink-wrapped" on the shelves at B&N. Never saw it that
much in this part of the world (Houston, TX) until just recently.

... but most customers seem to ignore them anyway, like they do red lights.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/16/06

Somewhat OT... In the pictures of you table saw out feed bench I notice
what looks like MDF for a top. I have just completed some heavy legs
for a new workbench and want to use some combination of plywood/MDF for
a self supporting top 60 inches long x 30 inches wide spanning the legs
which are 42 inches apart. Was thinking two layers of 3/4" BC glued up
with a 3/4" MDF top glued on with 1/4 hardboard. What are you using on
your bench top?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

with a 3/4" MDF top glued on with 1/4 hardboard. What are you using on
your bench top?

Solid core door ... If you edged the top with hardwood your plan would
likely work well.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/16/06

DOVETAIL JIG J T Woodworking 0 August 19th 06 06:16 PM
FS Dovetail Jig Howard Woodworking 0 March 9th 06 09:28 PM
Dovetail jig -- why? alexy Woodworking 38 May 28th 05 07:48 AM
dovetail jig splinter Woodworking 14 March 30th 05 04:52 PM
New Dovetail Jig jbh Woodworking 10 January 18th 05 06:07 PM