Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stickley_Harvey-Ellis_Inlay_Meaning?

I keep seeing this same design inlay on a lot of Stickley/Harvey Ellis
pieces. What in the heck is it? I have seen the same inlay on more than
one piece. Is there significance to the design or am I over thinking it?

My next project is a Stickley-Harvey Ellis bed. I saw it in the Stickley
outlet here in High Point and I am going to measure it up and snap a few
photos of it. I am not sure about replicating the inlay. ? Has anyone
attempted it before?

http://www.voorheescraftsman.com/ima...-i-OAK-679.jpg

http://www.stickley.com/gallery/deta...view=com plex

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman
I keep seeing this same design inlay on a lot of Stickley/Harvey Ellis
pieces. What in the heck is it? I have seen the same inlay on more than
one piece. Is there significance to the design or am I over thinking it?

The only reference I found thru "googling" was an reference to Charles
Renee
Macintosh. That Ellis copied a similar design and modified it. Not
going
to look for the Macintosh design.

So that's as good as I got. Supposedly, Ellis died soon after doing
the design.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

The only reference I found thru "googling" was an reference to Charles
Renee
Macintosh. That Ellis copied a similar design and modified it. Not
going

Opps! That would be: Charles Rennie Mackintosh

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 12, 9:10 pm, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:
I keep seeing this same design inlay on a lot of Stickley/Harvey Ellis
pieces. What in the heck is it? I have seen the same inlay on more than
one piece. Is there significance to the design or am I over thinking it?

That kinda stuff makes me sit at the tip of my chair...

I found this (maybe you did already too)

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11927

I must have that book.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:10:16 -0500, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

I keep seeing this same design inlay on a lot of Stickley/Harvey Ellis
pieces. What in the heck is it? I have seen the same inlay on more than
one piece. Is there significance to the design or am I over thinking it?

My next project is a Stickley-Harvey Ellis bed. I saw it in the Stickley
outlet here in High Point and I am going to measure it up and snap a few
photos of it. I am not sure about replicating the inlay. ? Has anyone
attempted it before?

http://www.voorheescraftsman.com/ima...-i-OAK-679.jpg

http://www.stickley.com/gallery/deta...view=com plex

Maybe you already saw this....

Here's a reference to an original piece with a short description
regarding a decal on the back......a *Jointers Compass*.
Could the inlay you are questioning be some later variation of this?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...ial_s%26sa%3DN

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:10:16 -0500, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

I keep seeing this same design inlay on a lot of Stickley/Harvey Ellis
pieces. What in the heck is it? I have seen the same inlay on more than
one piece. Is there significance to the design or am I over thinking it?

My next project is a Stickley-Harvey Ellis bed. I saw it in the Stickley
outlet here in High Point and I am going to measure it up and snap a few
photos of it. I am not sure about replicating the inlay. ? Has anyone
attempted it before?

http://www.voorheescraftsman.com/ima...-i-OAK-679.jpg

http://www.stickley.com/gallery/deta...view=com plex

Maybe you already saw this....

Here's a reference to an original piece with a short description
regarding a decal on the back......a *Jointers Compass*.
Could the inlay you are questioning be some later variation of this?

That is Stickley's 'logo'. "Als ik kan" looseley translated as "If I am
able" with some feeling of "as long as I am able". Literally translates
"If I can", but Dutch what it is/was, that's not quite the meaning.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote:
Here's a reference to an original piece with a short description
regarding a decal on the back......a *Jointers Compass*.
Could the inlay you are questioning be some later variation of this?
http://www.voorheescraftsman.com/cat...categoryID=091

The "joiner's compass" is just Gustav Stickley's trademark. The only
sort of proprietary design mark or style he ever bothered protecting,
whilst everyone else ripped his real designs off mercilessly. It
pre-dates Ellis and the inlay work.

Gustav was never a great designer. Much of his own work is downright
ugly. The reason we still value his products is almost entirely due to
the work of Ellis' short career and the Stickly pieces derived directly
from it afterwards (where he didn't break them too much). It's also
usually Ellis who designed the inlays, the non-Ellis designs rarely
used them.

If you want some excellent workshop drawings, then get the "shop
drawings series" There's a Greene and Greene too. If you want the
inspiration behind the shapes, then look at Europe, the Art Nouveau and
especially the Jugendstihl movements. They were never as influential in
the USA as they were in Europe and Ellis is one of the few places they
really feature.

If you want to reproduce them yourself, then try carving a
dovetail-shaped groove in your oak, pouring molten pewter in as a hot
inlay and then taking the surface flush with a hand scraper. So long as
they're not too wide or deep, you don't get scorching problems. Use
lead free solder if you can't get pewter, but it works hotter and needs
more care (it'll scorch most light-coloured inlay veneers).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Dec 2006 05:18:47 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

Joe Bemier wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the clarification, R.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Dec 2006 05:28:36 -0800, "Andy Dingley "
wrote:

Joe Bemier wrote:
[...]

Interesting - Thanks!