Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default advice/article on filling worm holes in walnut

I've done several searches, but I can't seem to find an article for filling
worm holes in walnut. I've a large chunk of crotch walnut that I want to
use as the support block in my Klausz-inspired bench, but it has some worm
holes. Can anyone help?

TIA,

Joe C.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gus Gus is offline

Joe wrote:
I've done several searches, but I can't seem to find an article for filling
worm holes in walnut. I've a large chunk of crotch walnut that I want to
use as the support block in my Klausz-inspired bench, but it has some worm
holes. Can anyone help?

Unless they are really large worms, why fill them at all?

They add character.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
I've done several searches, but I can't seem to find an article for

filling
worm holes in walnut. I've a large chunk of crotch walnut that I want to
use as the support block in my Klausz-inspired bench, but it has some worm
holes. Can anyone help?

I leave 'em ... most of my stash of AR black walnut has worm holes that are
just considered part of the 'ambiance' in the final piece.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:
I've done several searches, but I can't seem to find an article for filling
worm holes in walnut. I've a large chunk of crotch walnut that I want to
use as the support block in my Klausz-inspired bench, but it has some worm
holes. Can anyone help?

I've seen plenty of walnut and other woods with worm holes in it used
in furniture. I've never seen them filled. SO it's no surprise you
didn't
find any information on it.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you really feel you have to fill them, put in walnut sawdust and hit it
with CA glue. Plane/sand it smooth.

It won't match the existing walnut, but it will be in the neighborhood. You
will always see where the worm had his homestead, but it won't be a hole in
the piece.

Try a sample first, see if you like it.

Old Guy

"Joe" wrote in message
t...
I've done several searches, but I can't seem to find an article for
filling worm holes in walnut. I've a large chunk of crotch walnut that I
want to use as the support block in my Klausz-inspired bench, but it has
some worm holes. Can anyone help?

TIA,

Joe C.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

That's good advice. Heck, on a few I won't even have to put sawdust in.
It's still packed in there. Normally I'd do what several posters suggested,
but since it's going to be a benchtop (or at least part of one), I didn't
want crap collecting in the holes.

Thanks again,

Joe C.

Filling Holes J T Woodworking 0 August 24th 06 08:48 PM
Worm Holes In Old Oak brucebrooks Woodworking 16 December 16th 05 03:55 PM
Filling worm holes Prometheus Woodturning 14 June 10th 05 10:27 AM
Filling holes in wood Stuart UK diy 3 April 13th 04 09:29 AM
filling iregular holes Zipadee Doodar UK diy 5 October 13th 03 06:40 PM