Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 12/07/1941

Even though day is almost gone, least we not forget.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 07:26:27 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Even though day is almost gone, least we not forget.

Lew

Good point, Lew!
My Mom's email yesterday stated that for her generation is was like
the Twin Towers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Even though day is almost gone, least we not forget.

Lew

Good point, Lew!
My Mom's email yesterday stated that for her generation is was like
the Twin Towers.

But they remembered it longer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gus Gus is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Even though day is almost gone, least we not forget.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but the phrase is:

"Lest We Forget"

Yes, we owe a great debt of gratitude to the "Greatest Generation."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gus wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Even though day is almost gone, least we not forget.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but the phrase is:

"Lest We Forget"

Yes, we owe a great debt of gratitude to the "Greatest Generation."

Well put, Gus.
One hero lives across the street. He's 89 now. Was a Lancaster
(Halifax) bomber pilot. Distinguished Flying Cross. 35 missions. I
helped him rake his leaves... he matched me bag-for-bag LOL.

The guy 2 doors East from me ran an underground newspaper in Holland
during WW2. Distribution 200. He got his news from an illegal radio
hidden in the floorboards.
He's 85.
He's my dad.

"Greatest Generation."... I think you're right. They sure-as-hell don't
make them like than any more.

I try. Hard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Dec 2006 06:48:19 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

Gus wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Even though day is almost gone, least we not forget.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but the phrase is:

"Lest We Forget"

Yes, we owe a great debt of gratitude to the "Greatest Generation."

Well put, Gus.
One hero lives across the street. He's 89 now. Was a Lancaster
(Halifax) bomber pilot. Distinguished Flying Cross. 35 missions. I
helped him rake his leaves... he matched me bag-for-bag LOL.

The guy 2 doors East from me ran an underground newspaper in Holland
during WW2. Distribution 200. He got his news from an illegal radio
hidden in the floorboards.
He's 85.
He's my dad.

"Greatest Generation."... I think you're right. They sure-as-hell don't
make them like than any more.

I don't know. Some of those young men and women we have now may qualify.
They understand the threat, understand what we are up against, and have
volunteered anyway. Hats off to them!

I try. Hard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

One hero lives across the street. He's 89 now. Was a Lancaster
(Halifax) bomber pilot. Distinguished Flying Cross. 35 missions. I
helped him rake his leaves... he matched me bag-for-bag LOL.

Some very sobering thoughts for me happened while sailing on the Great
Lakes and visiting Canadian ports in Ontario.

A visit to the town square of Kincardine, on the shores of Lake Huron,
reveals a plaque with the names of those Canadians lost during WWII
and documents the fact they were in the war long before the US.

Considering the total population of the area, they paid a hell of a price.

A visit to Colebourne s/p on Lake Erie shows the training site used
by the Brits to train fighter pilots.

The guy 2 doors East from me ran an underground newspaper in Holland
during WW2. Distribution 200. He got his news from an illegal radio
hidden in the floorboards.
He's 85.
He's my dad.

Stories like the your fathers provided material to Hollywood for a lot
of movies after the war.

Used to watch them when they ran movies on late night TV while I was
still in school.

Lew