Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ever seen kingwood?

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cup.jpg

The workmanship is nothing special, but it is the prettiest wood I have ever
seen. I have about 5bf of it and have to find a special use!
It turns reasonably well, but perhaps after just doing a wenge bowl anything
would seem okay.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cup.jpg

The workmanship is nothing special, but it is the prettiest wood I have
ever seen. I have about 5bf of it and have to find a special use!
It turns reasonably well, but perhaps after just doing a wenge bowl
anything would seem okay.

Yes, Kingwood is a very pretty wood. It also comes in a purplish shade.
Steve of Knight Toolworks has a few marking knives that I made handles for
and some are made of Kingwood.

Very Expensive too. If I had 5 BF I think I would consider turning it into
veneer for a bigger yield. I'd hate to think that the center of that piece
was wasted. ;~(

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Toller" wrote in message
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cup.jpg

The workmanship is nothing special, but it is the prettiest wood I have
ever seen. I have about 5bf of it and have to find a special use!
It turns reasonably well, but perhaps after just doing a wenge bowl
anything would seem okay.

Yes, Kingwood is a very pretty wood. It also comes in a purplish shade.
Steve of Knight Toolworks has a few marking knives that I made handles for
and some are made of Kingwood.

Very Expensive too. If I had 5 BF I think I would consider turning it
into veneer for a bigger yield. I'd hate to think that the center of that
piece was wasted. ;~(

The cup took about a third of a BF at $20/bf.; that's not too bad.
It was purple when freshly cut, but turned brown almost immediately.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sand that sucker to 800 or 1200 grit then burnish
with dry shavings and it'll come up almost like glass.
Add carnuba and it'll take a glass like finish.

Global Wood Source here in SillyCone Valley often has
cut offs of the stuff in their exotics scrap bin. Sold
by the pound but I'm betting it's less expensive than
by the bf.

If you like kingwood try and get your hands on some
Persian Walnut. Stuff is HARD and HEAVY - with blues
purples and reds in it. Absolutely gorgeous.

charlie b