Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Setting succcessive routing depths for "profile" bits

My router has a depth stop and integral back-off wheel so that I can set the
final depth and lock it, and then back off the router for a small first cut,
and the steps on the adjustment wheel allow 1/8" incremental cuts. I do use
this when not confused. It is obviously necessary with larger bits of
understandable geometry, and I have broke a 1/4" Dia. straight bit at a
depth of 5/8", just trying to get a good estimate of the depth I had set in
a test piece, after a short distance. Forget about it with a smaller bit,
or a larger I guess.

I just did a bunch of 1/4" roundover, and also 1/4" rogee at the edge of
some 5/8" mdf. I did it all at the final depth, no increments. These are
small bits, 1/4", so think I just got away with it. I was prepared for it
to let go at any time, but I had already started. I was using the companies
best Ti-C bit set. But I do not know the teachings when it comes to these
kind of profile bits. What is the rule. Is there any difference from other
bits? To be honest the question is a little premature because me ain't even
considered what type of bits need only one pass because of the actual
profile generated, if necessarily possible. If I don't find out I may be in
for a rough ride.