Posted to rec.woodworking

Default making a "variable curve" routing template

I am making a table with multiple tops, each edge of which is slightly
curved, which normally would require 16 different templates inorder to
rout the edges. I would like to make a "variable curve" template so
that I can bend it to the proper radius, clamp it down securely, and
make the cut. But I can't think of how I would construct such a
variable template which would both describe a fair curve and yet be
strong enough to act as a fence and resist the forces of the router.

Any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking

flying_mel wrote:
I am making a table with multiple tops, each edge of which is slightly
curved, which normally would require 16 different templates inorder to
rout the edges. I would like to make a "variable curve" template so
that I can bend it

Imagine a set of vinyl strips, each parallel to and dovetailed (sliding
dovetail) into the
next. Ya bend 'em all and the dovetails slide to relieve the stress,
then stick (friction)
in place to keep the bend constant. It's a drafting-table accessory,
the adjustable
curve, aka spline. Available at any good engineering/drafting supplies
house (or was decades
ago before computers took over). Mine is good for radius 4" and over,
so it is
a good match for a round router subbase. If you can get 'em long
enough, it might suit you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

flying_mel wrote:
I am making a table with multiple tops, each edge of which is slightly
curved, which normally would require 16 different templates inorder to
rout the edges. I would like to make a "variable curve" template so
that I can bend it to the proper radius, clamp it down securely, and
make the cut. But I can't think of how I would construct such a
variable template which would both describe a fair curve and yet be
strong enough to act as a fence and resist the forces of the router.

Any ideas?

make a trammel base for your router.

Posted to rec.woodworking
L L is offline

In article . com,
flying_mel wrote:
I am making a table with multiple tops, each edge of which is slightly
curved, which normally would require 16 different templates inorder to
rout the edges. I would like to make a "variable curve" template so
that I can bend it to the proper radius, clamp it down securely, and
make the cut. But I can't think of how I would construct such a
variable template which would both describe a fair curve and yet be
strong enough to act as a fence and resist the forces of the router.

Any ideas?

How about something like a bow such as used in archery?

--

SDF Public Access UNIX System -
http://sdf.lonestar.org