Posted to rec.woodworking

Default mixing shellac

How long should it take shellac to disolve in alcohol? I've mixed them
together, and have waited about 1/2 hour and the flakes are still
pretty whole at the bottom of the bottle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, Doug
wrote:

How long should it take shellac to disolve in alcohol? I've mixed them
together, and have waited about 1/2 hour and the flakes are still
pretty whole at the bottom of the bottle.

Just swirl them around every now and then. This time tomorrow it'll be
dissolved nicely.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Nov 2006 13:39:24 -0800, "Doug" wrote:

How long should it take shellac to disolve in alcohol? I've mixed them
together, and have waited about 1/2 hour and the flakes are still
pretty whole at the bottom of the bottle.

Depends a lot on the cut, the temperature, and how often you shake or stir it.
I've seen it take several days, left sitting in a cool basement shop. What I do
is to put it into a pot of hot -- almost boiling -- water. I stir it every 10
minutes or so and a 3-lb cut takes maybe 30-60 minutes to dissolve completely.

To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Nov 2006 13:39:24 -0800, "Doug" wrote:

How long should it take shellac to disolve in alcohol? I've mixed them
together, and have waited about 1/2 hour and the flakes are still
pretty whole at the bottom of the bottle.

More than 1/2 hour. More like several hours. Warmer solvent will
dissolve whatever is soluble much faster, like 2x for each 20 degrees,
so if you are looking for fast dissolving, don't do it in a cold
garage.

I grind my flakes in a coffee grinder to get them to a powder state,
this also helps dissolve them faster.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
Doug wrote:
How long should it take shellac to disolve in alcohol? I've mixed them
together, and have waited about 1/2 hour and the flakes are still
pretty whole at the bottom of the bottle.

It can be a PITA to dissolve sometimes especially if the flakes have
clumped up and are sticking together. It's best to mix it a few days
ahead of time and shake it several times each day.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, "Doug" wrote:
How long should it take shellac to disolve in alcohol? I've mixed them
together, and have waited about 1/2 hour and the flakes are still
pretty whole at the bottom of the bottle.

Here's something that worked for me. I had a few errands to run, and some
shellac to mix. So I put the shellac flakes and alcohol in a mason jar, and
took it with me on the front seat of the truck. Every so often, I'd reach over
and give the jar a shake. By the time I got back home (two hours, thirty
miles, and four stops later) the shellac was completely dissolved.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article . com, "Doug"
wrote:
How long should it take shellac to disolve in alcohol? I've mixed them
together, and have waited about 1/2 hour and the flakes are still
pretty whole at the bottom of the bottle.

Here's something that worked for me. I had a few errands to run, and some
shellac to mix. So I put the shellac flakes and alcohol in a mason jar,
and
took it with me on the front seat of the truck. Every so often, I'd reach
over
and give the jar a shake. By the time I got back home (two hours, thirty
miles, and four stops later) the shellac was completely dissolved.

If you go powder, you have to shake or you get a lump. I want to hear a
rattle.

I use Doug's method during Sunday afternoon football for my normal 1# cut.
It's done by halftime. A 2# cut could take the whole game.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 15:07:35 -0800, Jim Weisgram
wrote:

I grind my flakes in a coffee grinder to get them to a powder state,
this also helps dissolve them faster.

So, how does that make the coffee taste? ;-)
Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Douglass wrote:

I grind my flakes in a coffee grinder to get them to a powder state,
this also helps dissolve them faster.

So, how does that make the coffee taste? ;-)

Like M&Ms :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I grind my flakes in a coffee grinder to get them to a powder state,
this also helps dissolve them faster.

So, how does that make the coffee taste? ;-)
Tim Douglass

[...snip...]

Dunno. I don't drink coffee.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug wrote:
How long should it take shellac to disolve in alcohol? I've mixed them
together, and have waited about 1/2 hour and the flakes are still
pretty whole at the bottom of the bottle.

I usually make a 1 lb cut and it takes maybe 24-36 hours at house room
temperature. I try to stir it every 30 minutes or so after I first mix
it, but then usually it ends up sitting for a while and the flakes
merge together into a mass on the bottom of the jar. I try to dislodge
it and break it up.

Do like they do in the chem. lab (or with spray cans) and put a glass marble
in your plastic bottle to help agitate.

More cement mixing, and HF vs. HD Proctologically Violated©® Home Repair 48 May 7th 06 07:17 AM
shellac mixing and dewaxing Matt Wilkins Woodworking 6 March 10th 06 05:05 AM
Mixing woods Vic Baron Woodworking 13 March 1st 06 12:56 PM
Mixing motar? W. Wells Home Repair 8 May 12th 05 05:12 AM
Mixing up some shellac todd Woodworking 10 September 24th 03 01:39 PM