Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing Driftwood

Hi, I am new to this group. I am happy to be here as I have read many
posts and there seem to be many friendly and extremely knowledgable
people. QUESTION: I have a piece of driftwood that has some sort of
extraneous material on it. Something like dried coral and some other
substance of which I know nothing. Can someone give me an idea as how
to finish this? I would like to seal it.

Thanks,

River

Posted to rec.woodworking

River wrote:

Can someone give me an idea as how
to finish this? I would like to seal it.

First of all, why seal it at all? What are you trying to protect it
from? Does it really need it?

If you insist of some sort of finish, maybe to protect it from dirt a
little but not change the appearance, then I'd use Renaissance Wax (not
just any old wax polish).

If you don't mind it turning shiny, then a coat of blonde shellac

Driftwood as firewood? Remi Home Repair 22 October 9th 17 03:14 PM
Driftwood horse Joe Barta Woodworking 0 January 9th 06 04:57 PM
Finishing Art Lindquist Woodworking 8 August 18th 05 05:02 AM
Finishing Richard Stapley Woodturning 0 December 3rd 04 08:39 PM
Finishing Q Tom Wojeck Woodworking 1 October 31st 04 10:55 PM