DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   clamping perpendicular boards (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/18297-clamping-perpendicular-boards.html)

Sathyan Sundaram July 12th 03 10:36 PM

clamping perpendicular boards

(newbie question)

I have a few "c" and spring clamps but what really need is something
to hold two board perpendicular to each other so I can drive in
screws. I can't seem to hold it straight enough by hand. Any
suggestions?

Sathyan

PC July 13th 03 12:49 AM

clamping perpendicular boards

Has anyone used these? How did they perform? They don't look like they
exert much force.

Phil

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Sathyan Sundaram" wrote in message
om...

(newbie question)

I have a few "c" and spring clamps but what really need is something
to hold two board perpendicular to each other so I can drive in
screws. I can't seem to hold it straight enough by hand. Any
suggestions?

Sathyan

Jet makes a clamp that slips over the boards. Can work on corners or
perpendicular. About $20 a set at Woodcraft.

peter July 13th 03 03:06 AM

clamping perpendicular boards

On 12 Jul 2003 14:36:45 -0700, (Sathyan Sundaram)
wrote:

I have a few "c" and spring clamps but what really need is something
to hold two board perpendicular to each other so I can drive in
screws. I can't seem to hold it straight enough by hand. Any
suggestions?

I use corner clamps with great success. Some people call them
picture frame clamps. They are economical and work well. I usually
use two at a time--one on each end of the board.

Making boxes or other jointery is simple with them. It takes
a bit of fussing to get the boards in just right, but when right, they
stay there. Drawers come out very square.

I notice that someone is making a more expensive version of
this product. It looks simpler to use, but harder to adjust because
one screw holds both boards. It also does not open wide enough for
much of the work I do.

Good luck.

Peter

Edwin Pawlowski July 13th 03 03:40 AM

"PC" wrote in message
Has anyone used these? How did they perform? They don't look like they
exert much force.

Phil

I would not suggest them if I didn't like them. They don't offer much in
the way of force, but they hold things in place and properly aligned. The OP
said he was going to screw the pieces together. They are perfect for that.
Sort of like having another arm or two.
Ed

Mike July 13th 03 03:49 PM

clamping perpendicular boards

Rockler makes a 90 degree corner bracket, I think they call it "clamp-it"
and costs about 10 bucks or so. I use them all the time with a few clamps
to hold the work together.

Mike

JLucas ILS July 13th 03 08:26 PM

clamping perpendicular boards

they arent clamps so much as they are alignment jigs. They will hold tight
enough so that you can drill and screw.