Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockwell 20" bandsaw 28-340 and Tracking Trauma!

Hi all I have a good question for you. Our bandsaw have been working
for however many years with apparently the wrong sized tires for the
wheels. This was throwing the alignment vertically off, pushing on the
arm and burning holes through the throat plates. I set out to have the
tool fixed (-$300). It was the end of term so the tool got no use
until now when I turn it on the tool does not hold onto the blade at
all. There is no way to delicately adjust the pitch to have the blade
stay on..plus due to how the tool is configured it is impossible to see
if the wheels are aligned.

Has anyone seen this happen on their bandsaw. The repairman now wants
to grind of the tires he put on (-$500) and the try to fix it from
there (-$200-?!). He has us over a barrel.

HelP!!

Wood Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all I have a good question for you. Our bandsaw have been working
for however many years with apparently the wrong sized tires for the
wheels. This was throwing the alignment vertically off, pushing on the
arm and burning holes through the throat plates. I set out to have the
tool fixed (-$300). It was the end of term so the tool got no use
until now when I turn it on the tool does not hold onto the blade at
all. There is no way to delicately adjust the pitch to have the blade
stay on..plus due to how the tool is configured it is impossible to see
if the wheels are aligned.

Has anyone seen this happen on their bandsaw. The repairman now wants
to grind of the tires he put on (-$500) and the try to fix it from
there (-$200-?!). He has us over a barrel.

HelP!!

Looking at the schematic, I'm wondering if the beast is not designed for
flat tires and the guy put crowned tires on it. Seems like the old
Powermatic up at the college was built that way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all I have a good question for you. Our bandsaw have been working
for however many years with apparently the wrong sized tires for the
wheels. This was throwing the alignment vertically off, pushing on the
arm and burning holes through the throat plates. I set out to have the
tool fixed (-$300). It was the end of term so the tool got no use
until now when I turn it on the tool does not hold onto the blade at
all. There is no way to delicately adjust the pitch to have the blade
stay on..plus due to how the tool is configured it is impossible to see
if the wheels are aligned.

Has anyone seen this happen on their bandsaw. The repairman now wants
to grind of the tires he put on (-$500) and the try to fix it from
there (-$200-?!). He has us over a barrel.

HelP!!

Wood Chip

I think your guy doing the repairs may be raking you over the coals.
If I sent my wheels in to Laguna they charge something like $75 to correctly
replace the tires.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Go to http://www.owwm.org and put that same question out
to the crowd. There are several people in the group that
use and own that saw.

I'n sure you can get some decent answers to your problem.