Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rechargeable Battery Rebuild Questions

I have several Dewalt 14.4 's

Anyone got experience rebuilding these?

Where and what batteries do I need

whats a great price per battery - got a good source?
($5 ea is a deal killer - $40 gets a new rebuilt, this has 13
batteries)

AND
can/do Nimh's work well with the Dewalt charger
or should I stick to Nicads

Posted to rec.woodworking

Check out the following thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...2b 029631490a

I cannot get onto Primecell's website but the Voltman site is good to
go. I need to have my Dewalt 14.4's done and at this point, Voltman is
the way to go.

Let us know what you find.

Michael

Wood Butcher wrote:
It depends on the charger. If it was designed to do both then it
obviously will. But I wouldn't gamble unless Dewalt said ok.
The reason is that fast chargers monitor both the temperature
and an end-of-charge signature of the battery. The temp
profile of the NiMH may be different than the NiCad. The
end-of-charge signature *is* different. Many fast chargers use
the negative delta-V method and NiMH cells have a smaller
delta-V than NiCads. This smaller voltage may not be recognized
by your charger and it could then overcharge and damage the
NiMH cells.
There is another complicating factor. Some chargers monitor
the total charge delivered to a battery pack and terminate at
some fixed quantity. If your charger does this then it may not
fully charge higher capacity cells than the original ones(ie 2.2AH
vs. 2.0AH). This will not harm anything but you would not be
getting the extra capacity you paid more for.

Art

"NoLeftTurn" wrote ...
[snip]