Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router bit choice for panel slots in stiles...

The cabinet I'm working on calls for a 1/4" slot in the stiles & rails
for the panels. I'm planning to cut them using my router with either a
slotting bit freehand or using a straight bit and the fence on my router
table.

I'm leaning in favor of using the table, but was curious whether there
are pros/cons either way that I'd only figure out by screwing up the
first time...

--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | GPG KeyID: 5A978843
Posted to rec.woodworking

hello,

use the slot bit on the table with a fence (if your fence can not take it,
just clamp a 2*4 on the table after a pass on the planner and after you make
a hole big enough to fit the bit shank and bearing.

cyrille

"Reed Snellenberger" wrote in message
The cabinet I'm working on calls for a 1/4" slot in the stiles & rails for
the panels. I'm planning to cut them using my router with either a
slotting bit freehand or using a straight bit and the fence on my router
table.

I'm leaning in favor of using the table, but was curious whether there are
pros/cons either way that I'd only figure out by screwing up the first
time...

--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | GPG KeyID: 5A978843
to make a phone that you can just talk | rsnellenberger
into." Major Thomb | -at-houston.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Reed Snellenberger wrote:
The cabinet I'm working on calls for a 1/4" slot in the stiles & rails
for the panels. I'm planning to cut them using my router with either a
slotting bit freehand or using a straight bit and the fence on my router
table.

I'm leaning in favor of using the table, but was curious whether there
are pros/cons either way that I'd only figure out by screwing up the
first time...

How about the slotting bit in the table?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Reed Snellenberger" wrote in message
The cabinet I'm working on calls for a 1/4" slot in the stiles & rails for
the panels. I'm planning to cut them using my router with either a
slotting bit freehand or using a straight bit and the fence on my router
table.

I'm leaning in favor of using the table, but was curious whether there are
pros/cons either way that I'd only figure out by screwing up the first
time...

--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | GPG KeyID: 5A978843
to make a phone that you can just talk | rsnellenberger
into." Major Thomb | -at-houston.rr.com

You might want to reconsider and use the table saw instead. I cut those
slots many years ago and graduated to using the TS. Much faster, quieter,
easier to make exactly the width you need and easy to hit dead center if you
need that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

You might want to reconsider and use the table saw instead. I cut those
slots many years ago and graduated to using the TS. Much faster, quieter,
easier to make exactly the width you need and easy to hit dead center if you
need that.

It makes sense (the original plans use dado blades for most of this),
but I don't have a table saw (or have room for one, at the moment).

--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | GPG KeyID: 5A978843
to make a phone that you can just talk | rsnellenberger
into." Major Thomb | -at-houston.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

cyrille de Brebisson wrote:

use the slot bit on the table with a fence (if your fence can not take it,
just clamp a 2*4 on the table after a pass on the planner and after you make
a hole big enough to fit the bit shank and bearing.

Thanks -- I hadn't considered that combination, although I'd ruled out
trying to use the straight bit and do the slots freehand. :-)

--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | GPG KeyID: 5A978843
to make a phone that you can just talk | rsnellenberger
into." Major Thomb | -at-houston.rr.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

How about the slotting bit in the table?

Thanks -- that's exactly what I'm going to do...

--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | GPG KeyID: 5A978843
to make a phone that you can just talk | rsnellenberger
into." Major Thomb | -at-houston.rr.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Reed" wrote in message

It makes sense (the original plans use dado blades for most of this), but
I don't have a table saw (or have room for one, at the moment).

--

Yeah that would be a problem.. :~)