Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT? Ten Step Guide to Being Handy Around the House

Ten Step Guide to Being Handy Around the House

1. If you can't find a screwdriver, use a knife. If you break off the
tip, it's an improved screwdriver.

2. Try to work alone. An audience is rarely any help.

3. Above all, if what you've done is stupid, but it works, then it isn't
stupid.

4. Work in the kitchen whenever you can ... many fine tools are there,
it’s warm and dry, and you are close to the refrigerator.

5. If it's electronic, get a new one ... or consult a twelve-year-old.

6. Stay simple minded: Get a new battery; replace the bulb or fuse;
see if the tank is empty; try turning the switch "on”; or just paint
over it.

7. Always take credit for miracles. If you dropped the alarm clock
while taking it apart and it suddenly starts working, you have
healed it.

8. Regardless of what people say, kicking, pounding, and throwing
sometimes DOES help.

9. If something looks level, it is level.

10. If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Posted to rec.woodworking

8. Regardless of what people say, kicking, pounding, and throwing
sometimes DOES help.

Thirty years ago, when computer monitors were seriously expensive, I had one
that had a flaky vertical hold. The repair people said it would be cheaper
to replace than fix, but it wasn't in my budget.

So I slapped it. That worked, slapping it a couple times a day when it went
out. After a couple weeks, slapping didn't help and I had to hit it. After
a few weeks I had to pound it. Then I had to drop it from a few inches.
The height I had to drop it to fix it kept getting higher until one day it
caught on fire. That was pretty much the end of it.

Does that support your guide, or not?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

There was a Mac on the market a few years ago that had a video problem. The
tech support recommended fix was to hit it.

"Toller" wrote in message
8. Regardless of what people say, kicking, pounding, and throwing
sometimes DOES help.

Thirty years ago, when computer monitors were seriously expensive, I had

one
that had a flaky vertical hold. The repair people said it would be

cheaper
to replace than fix, but it wasn't in my budget.

So I slapped it. That worked, slapping it a couple times a day when it

went
out. After a couple weeks, slapping didn't help and I had to hit it.

After
a few weeks I had to pound it. Then I had to drop it from a few inches.
The height I had to drop it to fix it kept getting higher until one day it
caught on fire. That was pretty much the end of it.

Does that support your guide, or not?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article et, "CW" wrote:
There was a Mac on the market a few years ago that had a video problem. The
tech support recommended fix was to hit it.

Yep -- it's called "percussive maintenance". :-)

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:40:14 +0000, Toller wrote:

Does that support your guide, or not?

No. Computers run on smoke. Never let the smoke out.

}

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:
Ten Step Guide to Being Handy Around the House

Its a good job you don't work with power tools?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite