Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bending wood

I need to build a 3ft diameter arc from cherry. How do I bend cheery to
do this? How thick should the wood be to bend it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sasha wrote:
I need to build a 3ft diameter arc from cherry. How do I bend cheery to
do this? How thick should the wood be to bend it?

I'd make a simple jig using posts to create the arc you desire. They
can be just ordinary posts knocked into the lawn, or you could make a
complete wooden jig either....

Then Gradually bend the wood around the posts. It will obviously be
easier the thinner you can make it, so i'd also consider using thinner
wood and building the arc up in layers, glueing each layer in turn.

If thats no good, and you want thicker, then you may have to make some
fine cuts across the wood to allow for movement.

Either way, good luck.

Happy woodworking

Barry

www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Nov 2006 13:34:16 -0800, "Sasha" wrote:

I need to build a 3ft diameter arc from cherry. How do I bend cheery to
do this? How thick should the wood be to bend it?

Rip the cherry in 1/4" or 1/8" strips. No need to steam thin strips.
Glue and clamp. Spring back will occur so you want a tighter curve
than needed. Sorry I don't know exactly "how much," but I'm guessing
around 4%.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sasha wrote:

I need to build a 3ft diameter arc from cherry. How do I bend cheery to
do this? How thick should the wood be to bend it?

Sasha, one thing you did not specify is how deep that arc is going to be.
Are you making a complete half circle or something less. Is the 3' depth
or width? In other words, just how big is this thing going to be?

As for the thickness of the strips, the thinner the easier to bend. If the
arc is not too deep, the 1/4" thickness would work. If the arc approaches
a semi circle, I would opt for 1/8". Also, use a very slow setting glue.
You can use yellow wood glue, but make sure the tempiture is above 40 and
below 70 degrees F. Also make sure your strips are several inches longer
than the length of the arc.

Plastic resin glue is an option, but it dries dark. A slow setting epoxy
might be your best choice.

AS Phiserman said, you will get some spring back, since you are doing a "one
off" either make the frame fit the arc or make the arc a bit tighter than
you need and make the arc fit the frame.

Assuming you have not done this before, take a pice of MDF and cut it a few
inches larger than the size of your arc (if your arc is wider than 3/4",
cut a duplicate and glue and screw two pieces together) and lay out your
arc. Then using either a bandsaw or jigsaw. Cut out the arc and line it
with packing tape. Then is is a matter of gluing the strips together and
placing them in the form and drawing it together with clamps. Pay careful
attention on the clamping process to insure your arc is even in radius.

Then it is just a matter of cleaning up the glue edges and sanding.

Good luck. It isn't hard, just do not get in a hurry. One last piece of
advice - USE A SLOW SETTING GLUE. Believe me, you will sleep better with
it slowly curing over night than getting a quick cure and having the arc
only half finished.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
Sasha wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you meant steam bending? Then the greener the better. The
thicker the wood the longer the steam. Plan for spring back, and the
best way I know to proceed is to use some test pieces first.

Good luck,
Harvey

Posted to rec.woodworking

Laminating is the best bet. 1/8" strips bent around a frame with the
cooresponding outer frame to clamp it down.

One hint that might help is to use bender board (special 1/8" ply for
bending) for all of the layers except the outer layer. Also, its best
if you use a hard setting resin glue vs wood glue if the piece won't be
built into a frame that will hold it in place.

Sasha wrote:
I need to build a 3ft diameter arc from cherry. How do I bend cheery to
do this? How thick should the wood be to bend it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Dr. Deb" wrote:

As for the thickness of the strips, the thinner the easier to bend. If the
arc is not too deep, the 1/4" thickness would work. If the arc approaches
a semi circle, I would opt for 1/8". Also, use a very slow setting glue.
You can use yellow wood glue,

NO! Yellow wood glue will creep. Bent laminations are not stable with yellow
wood glue.

but make sure the tempiture is above 40 and
below 70 degrees F. Also make sure your strips are several inches longer
than the length of the arc.

Plastic resin glue is an option, but it dries dark.

That's not necessarily a problem -- he's using cherry, remember?

A slow setting epoxy
might be your best choice.

That would work, but I'd go with a plastic resin glue, mostly on the grounds
that the inevitable squeeze-out will be easier to clean up.

--
Regards,