Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ACQ wood

Greetings. My spouse and I want to build a large shelving project for
the unfinished section of our basement. We were going to use 2 by 2s
of ACQ treated wood. I cannot get a straight answer as to whether that
application would be okay. Is the enclosed space an issue with the new
wood treatment?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
"ddabney67" wrote:

Greetings. My spouse and I want to build a large shelving project for
the unfinished section of our basement. We were going to use 2 by 2s
of ACQ treated wood. I cannot get a straight answer as to whether that
application would be okay. Is the enclosed space an issue with the new
wood treatment?

Here is the location of the information you want.

http://www.treatedwood.com/products/preserve/msds.html

In general it smalls bad (ammonia) and it is bad to eat. It is no where
near as bad as the old treatment methods.

Read the safety sheet and follow the suggestions on the site and you
should be fine. I have a small amount in an area of the basement where
we had water problems as the sill board.

I would suggest you use regular wood in your basement, unless you have a
real problem with standing water.

I have wooden shelves that are 15 years old in my basement, unpainted
that show no signs of problems, including the sill board (the ones that
lay on the floor) and the verticals that lay directly on the concrete
wall.

Doug