Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is this type of board and where can I buy it?

Hi,

I saw a table with a surface that I liked and I took a picture with my
phone:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/board.jpg

What is this type of board called?
Where can I buy it?
Does the inhomogeneity tend to cause problems?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gus Gus is offline

On Nov 8, 12:06 pm, wrote:
Hi,

I saw a table with a surface that I liked and I took a picture with my
phone:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/board.jpg

What is this type of board called?
Where can I buy it?
Does the inhomogeneity tend to cause problems?

Hard to tell without being able to examine it up close, but it looks
like oak and/or maple and/or walnut strip flooring.

Perhaps similar to this:

http://www.elmwoodreclaimedtimber.co...oads/con29.jpg

If that is, in fact, the case, it should be stable enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hi,

I saw a table with a surface that I liked and I took a picture with my
phone:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/board.jpg

What is this type of board called?
Where can I buy it?
Does the inhomogeneity tend to cause problems?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Looks like politicianwood to me - can't decide what it wants to look
like, tries to be all things to all people, and every time you cut a new
board from it you get a different shading. Its main characteristics are
extreme weakness and poor workability. Best suited for firewood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I saw a table with a surface that I liked and I took a picture with my
phone:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/board.jpg

What is this type of board called?
Where can I buy it?
Does the inhomogeneity tend to cause problems?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

It looks like a cutting board with various types of wood, possibly walnut,
cherry, and maple perhaps?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the replies.

Actually it's not flooring, but more of a countertop. The strips are
less than 1" apart.

With that extra information... Does it have a name and a place to buy
it?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the replies.

Actually it's not flooring, but more of a countertop. The strips are
less than 1" apart.

With that extra information... Does it have a name and a place to buy
it?

What extra information? It seems to be a counter top which was made by edge
gluing boards of various kinds together.
You may find someone at a cabinet shop who would sell something like that.
Otherwise, just get the wood and get to gluing.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hi,

I saw a table with a surface that I liked and I took a picture with my
phone:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/board.jpg

What is this type of board called?
Where can I buy it?
Does the inhomogeneity tend to cause problems?

Inhomogeneity...? The heterogeneous natures of the wood could cause
some issues with the natural expansion and contraction wood experiences
with the normal changes in humidity. Wood species have different
coefficients of expansion, also dependent on how the wood is oriented.
If you used the same wood species in each row there shouldn't be a
problem beyond the usual with those sort of glue ups.

I don't know of any source for such a conglomeration of woods.
Non-matched "scrap" woods litter...errr, grace every woodworker's shop.
Giving one an excuse to use some of it up and earn some money would
probably be well received.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is not a true end grain, old meat market type butcher block,
but Formica has sold that pattern as butcher block for over a
score of years. It is probably edge grain maple which can run to
many colors.

I hope this helps. There are some people who make counters of old
bowling alley lanes. Same/similar effect.

There are several manufacturers and sources of workbench tops.
Grainger's is one that sells hardwoood tops.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I saw a table with a surface that I liked and I took a picture
with my
phone:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/board.jpg

What is this type of board called?
Where can I buy it?
Does the inhomogeneity tend to cause problems?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Nov 2006 10:26:23 -0800, wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

Actually it's not flooring, but more of a countertop. The strips are
less than 1" apart.

With that extra information... Does it have a name and a place to buy
it?

Thanks!

www.craft-art.com will make you something like that for a bunch of
money. Well actually I do not know how expensive it is. They glue
stuff together, plane it and sand it, cnc route it, finish sand and
finish it. Dusty shop they have but the finish room is clean enough to
get a nice finish. A computer account of mine.