DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/18145-re-sawstop-files-gpo-cpsc-mandatory-use-us.html)

Charlie Self July 10th 03 09:32 AM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

Leon writes:

A similar senerio and one I hate with a passion is forced auto liability
insurance in Texas. The insurance companies made this happen. But, I want
to drive a car so I buy this insurance for the other guy, along with
uninsured motorists insurance for me, along with PIP or personal injury
protection in the event I do it to myself. Now that surely does become
expensve... Insuring the other guy, youself, and yourself from the other
guy. Do I see over lap coverage here?
Would I be caught with out it... Probably not. Would you?

When I was a kid, New York instituted forced auto liability insurance. We won't
talk about the cost rise from maybe 50 bucks to whatever it is in Westchester
County today--I can't afford the houses there, either. But that was in 1957.
Today, you have to be exceptionally poor or crazy to go without auto insurance.
Even a small accident involving other people can not only bankrupt you, but can
keep you bankrupt for a lifetime. This is not totally the fault of insurance
companies getting what they want, but is the combined problem created by overly
powerful insurance companies (sit back and think about how much of your life is
run by insurnace company demands--they even tell churches how many dusk-to-down
lights they've got to have to keep their policies), but also by lawyers who
inflate judgments in order to make sure their half the result is worth keeping.

Charlie Self

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to.
Dorothy Parker

Robert Bonomi July 10th 03 11:37 AM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

In article ,
Sam Chambers wrote:
I hear what you're saying, but that's not really what the petition says.
True, they've modeled the petition based on what their system can do (makes
sense, since there's is the only such product), but it doesn't mandate use
of the SawStop system.

*EXCEPT* that anything that meets the 'petition' specifications is covered by
_their_ PATENT.

Thus, _effectively_, giving them a *monopoly* of the market.

Mike in Mystic July 10th 03 01:35 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

Here is a copy of an email I sent to SawStop and their response FYI:

MY LETTER

Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 11:09 AM
Subject: Petition Requesting Performance Standards to reduce table saw
injury

Petition Requesting Performance Standards for a System To Reduce
or Prevent Injuries From Contact With the Blade of a Table Saw
(Petition No. CP 03-2)

Dear Sir or Madame:

This letter is in reference to the above Consumer Product Safety Commission
petiton.

I am a hobbyist woodworker and currently own a Delta Unisaw 3HP 10" table
saw. I was considering purchasing your invention. I am no longer
considering this purchase. The reason for this is that I judge the
companies that I do business with in a number of ways. One of these is the
value of their product. Another is integrity. Your invention certainly has
value. Your company, however, has absolutely no integrity.

The United States is a nation based on freedom and your efforts to increase
your personal and corporate profits via reduction in all American's personal
rights are deplorable. I was shocked and sickened to see your blatant use
of the regulary system to force consumers into a situation where you and
only you would profit.

I also intend to take every opportunity and to encourage the numerous fellow
woodworkers I know to contact the Safety Commission and any other pertinent
parties and express our opposition to this change in table saw safety
regulation.

A free market is a wonderful thing. If you would have used this market as
intended and let your product stand on its own merits then I could respect
you. By choosing the route of forcing consumers to use your product you
have clearly shown your true colors. You have chosen your own fate and the
inevitable failure of your endeavor.

Sincerely,

Michael Logman

THEIR REPLY:

Thanks for the email and comments. We understand your position concerning
government intervention. In many cases we would agree with you. However, in
this case, where there are over 30,000 serious injuries each year, where
information concerning the number and severity of injuries is not readily
available to the public, and where manufacturers do not seem to care about
the injuries, we think filing a petition for rulemaking is appropriate. In
short, it makes more sense to petition for new safety rules than it does to
live with the tremendous number of serious injuries. At least we think so.

Additionally, we hope that the petition will motivate other companies to
adopt the technology so that it becomes available faster than it otherwise
would. The petition also will allow the government to gather information
concerning the economic cost to society of table saw injuries, which will be
available to the public and will be helpful in deciding whether to create
new safety regulations.

Finally, as a point of clarification, our proposed standard requires
manufacturers to make saws safer, just as car manufacturers are required to
put seat belts and airbags in cars. Our proposed standard does not require
consumers to use a particular type of saw.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

David Fanning

SawStop, LLC
22409 SW Newland Road 503-638-6201
Wilsonville, OR 97070 503-638-8601 fax
www.sawstop.com

Nothing too surprising in their reply, and it probably is a form letter that
they send to anyone complaining about their business tactics. Leon, you
really should ask them if you can be a spokesman for their company, you and
this Fanning guy are definitely on the same wavelength.

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

"Gary Milliorn" wrote in message
. ..
Well, they said they were going to force it down the consumer's throats.
Here's
the filing with the Federal Register, as of today, Jul 9:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...access.gpo.gov
/2003/03-17327.htm

The CPSC filing is "CP03-2", and here are their filings:

http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOI...f/Tablesaw.pdf
http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOI...ladesawpt1.pdf
http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOI...ladesawpt2.pdf

As far as I can interpret the Federal Register filing, there is a 60-day
window of opportunity
for commenting on the proposed mandatory inclusion of SawStops proprietary
technology in all US-sold tablesaws.

Regards,
Gary

Leon July 10th 03 01:48 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"todd" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message news:3L3Pa.881$h

I have a 3 year old Jet Cabinet saw now.... While I would love to have

one
with the Saw Stop now... the first saw needs to make more profit first.

It
will be replaced with the safer version if it is still around later on.

If you really put your stated beliefs into practice, you'd buy the SawStop
as soon as it is available and sell your Jet. I'm sure that whatever

dollar
figure you'll lose in the transaction would more than be made up for in

the
cost in dollars and in pain and suffering for the next accident that could
have been avoided. Frankly, until you do so, you're a hypocrite.

Not a hypocrite.... If I knowingly chose to buy the next TS with out the Saw
Stop or similar device, then I would be a hypocrite.

But I just may speed up that process anyway and get one sooner than later.

Leon July 10th 03 01:50 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

Agreed.

Leon July 10th 03 02:03 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
I say if you are afraid of ever been cut then you should stay away from

power
tools. I'm very cautious around blades, but I CHOOSE to do woodworking.

don't have to woodwork. I drew blood today while routing. I touched the

bit,
which was not moving at the time. Had it been running, there is a piece

of wood
AND a push block between my pinkies and the bit. I also wear goggles, ear
protection, and a mask. I try to minimize the risk, while still engaging

in the
activity that is inherently dangerous. I don't want the goverment

requiring me
to purchase safety equipment. They didn't make me put on goggles or a

mask;
why should I shell out for a device I don't want. I'm all for free

enterprise;
let those who want the added expense to knock themselves out and purchase

the
Sawstop. I might even be convinced after a period of time of anecdotal

evidence
that is so wonderful that I must rush out a purchase one too. In the

meantime,
the feds should keep their ideas about what I buy out of my business.

Well Dave it sounds like you have all your bases covered and should not
think about safety any farther than you have at this point. I know that
this all sorta new to you and that with your precision and forethought that
nothing will ever happen to you in the shop requiring a trip to the ER. So
for you and all the ones that think like this, I say good luck and be
careful but don't be shocked when some thind does happen.

Me, I am a realist. I know I am capable of getting hurt in the shop, and
did after 10 years of experience. I know that accidents happen and no
amount of preparation can prevent all of them them. I have meen reeeeal
lucky in the last 14 years as my track record has been clean. Now you and I
know that 14 years of no accidents and 8 of the profesionally is not pure
luck. I do exercise caution with all my power tools and that really is why
nothing has happened again, but I am not so silly or ignorant to believe
that it could not happen again. So, I would just as soon have the Saw Stop
or Similar device, government or no government involved. Nothing
complicated about that decision. Pretty simple really. The lessor of two
evils.

Leon July 10th 03 02:12 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
Yes, I HAVE seen the video demonstration with the hotdog. But I still

don't
want it to be REQUIRED on a table saw, even if it will save some fingers,

some
of the time. It would be my luck I'd get one, rely on it, and then lose a
finger because I got careless and the unit failed to work as advertised.

I sure
don't place blind faith in my airbags. Maybe in a collision they will

detonate,
and maybe they won't. I've spent a large portion of my life fixing stuff.

If
man makes it, it ain't perfect. I still feel let the buyer decide if

he/she
wants to shell out the bucks for sawstop.

Well Dave I don't want for it to required either. I would love for it to be
an option in later years, but when the time comes, I'll take it any way I
can get it, required by the government or not.

Leon July 10th 03 02:16 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message

Was I ever ****ed when I found out I had to have the real thing
and there was only one other kid in the normal alphabetical order behind
me - his last name was Zuanich.

No kidding...

But still, tablesaws aren't contagious ( but then again, maybe they are
:-)

You still won't convince me that government mandate is the best way for
this situation. The air bag thing doesn't work as I don't drive my TS on
the freeways. Freedom allows people to make their own decisions,
especially when not infringing on others.

-Doug

Well again Doug, I am not trying to convence you that governmant mandate is
tha best way. I am only indicating that I am not going to let the fact of
government intervention sway my decision as to whether I get one or not.
I'm looking out for me.

Leon July 10th 03 02:21 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

Its really a catch 22 situation. Your are dammed if you let the government
protect you and you are dammed if you refuse to let the government protect
you. In this case, I'll go with the government.

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Doug, this is simply my opinion... I simply would put my safety before
balking at the method of delivery. I try not to cut my nose off to

spite my
face.

If you accept the principle that government is entitled to protect us
from ourselves, then you are doing exactly that. There is no limit to
the number of actions people can do to injure themselves. You're
endorsing the principle of "Anything not required is forbidden".

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Leon July 10th 03 02:27 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

Umm.. the module has already been in use for many years now... Probably not
as you think of it but it is in deed in use. The perimeters are set higher
than most speed limits but that could be easily changed by different
programming. GM started using an ECM in the Early 80's... 1980 IIRC. ECM
was short for Electronic Control Module. Among all the sensors it
monitored, it monitored engine RPM and vehicle speed. There was and still
is an RPM limiter to prevent owners from going past redline and the speed
monitors helped to determine when the transmissions would shift depending on
engine RPM.

"Bergen" wrote in message
This SawStop thing got me to thinking. According to the Department of
Transportation, 41,000 people are killed and another 3.4 million are

injured
in the US each year from accidents caused by speeding. Maybe I could

invent
a module that would disable a vehicles engine if the driver exceeded the
speed limit. Then I could petition to make it mandatory that all

automobile
manufacturers use my device in their vehicles. Heck, I'd only charge them

1%
of each sale to use my device. Hmm, 1% of all vehicle sales every

year...and
be the good guy for saving all those lives and limbs :-)

Leon July 10th 03 02:34 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"ken" wrote in message
m...
Oh, so that's it. You want to force everyone to buy this thing so the
cost will drop down for yourself. You wouldn't happen to be a lawyer
yourself would you? You sound about their level.

Yeah, if that is what it takes for "me" to be able to buy one in the future.
Although, no one would be forced to buy a TS.
While this may sound self centered, no more so than those that oppose the
idea of government intervention in this particular case to simply prove a
point. The point is taken and accepted into consideration... I'll go with
the government in this case because I still want to do wood working and have
the added safety.

You personally sound like.....

Zach Tomas July 10th 03 02:39 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:37:38 GMT, timonjkl
wrote:

"todd" wrote in
:

the next accident that could have been avoided. Frankly, until you do
so, you're a hypocrite.

todd

or stock holder

or shill.

-zach

Leon July 10th 03 02:40 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

Good for you Mike... you showed em. ;~)

AND maintained your integrity.

Chris Johnson July 10th 03 02:41 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

Leon wrote:
The lessor of two
evils.

When you settle for the lesser of two evils, you are settling for
evil. Do you really want that?

I have no objections to purchasing a safety device for my saw
of my own accord. But I'll be damned if some money-grubbing company
tries to FORCE that purchase down my throat without even a choice
as to the manufacturer!

If it were an open market with several competing companies making
similarly effective saw safety devices, it'd be one thing, but the
only people who benefit financially from SawStop's petition is THEM.

It's greed taken to an extreme form.

**** them.

CJ

Chris Johnson July 10th 03 02:51 PM

Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 11:09 AM
[...]

A damned fine letter. Good job.

[...]

Their reply is a nice bit of semantic gamesmanship with a great deal
of intentional misdirection.

Let me count the flaws...

They are attempting to compel us to to use saws equipped with a safety
device.

But only THEIR safety device.

Their analogy to car seat belts and airbags is flawed, because
there are several competing manufacturers making seat belts and
airbags.

They're trying to assist the government in assuming the role of Nanny
State in yet another field of regulation.

As things stand now, I'd remove and throw away a SawStop product
if I found one hidden in my saw. I'm that furious at the company
for trying to shove this right up our asses "for our own good".

I look forward to when they send a reply to me in response to MY
little shot across the bow I sent them. The response they get
back from me will be so hot it'll set the paper on fire if they
print it.

CJ

Zach Tomas July 10th 03 02:51 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:58:23 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"JackD" wrote in message ...

snip

If this feature was valued by people, then there would be a market for it.

I think there will be once the manufacturers start putting it on all the
saws.

No kidding... You think? You know, if the gov required toilet seats to
be mounted on the hood of all new cars - the, yes there would suddenly
be a market for that "feature".

-zach

Steve July 10th 03 02:52 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

snip
But... I think the Saw Stop is a great idea and would like to see it
mandated on all saws. I have found the CON comments quite amusing,
they mostly amount to "I have the right to use dangerous equiptment
and cut off my fingers if I want to."

snip

Then you missed the entire point. Try "I have the right to use
dangerous equipment safely and not be fined because some fools are to
careless to use the same equipment safely".

Chris Johnson July 10th 03 02:55 PM

Leon wrote:
"ken" wrote in message
m...

Oh, so that's it. You want to force everyone to buy this thing so the
cost will drop down for yourself. You wouldn't happen to be a lawyer
yourself would you? You sound about their level.

Yeah, if that is what it takes for "me" to be able to buy one in the future.
Although, no one would be forced to buy a TS.
While this may sound self centered, no more so than those that oppose the
idea of government intervention in this particular case to simply prove a
point. The point is taken and accepted into consideration... I'll go with
the government in this case because I still want to do wood working and have
the added safety.

You personally sound like.....

I've got a better idea: Every saw manufacturer should offer this
and other safety products as reasonably priced options for each
model of saw. You get to choose what safety options you want
installed on it, or choose none if that's what you want.

But wait, there's a problem with that. The problem is that there
IS no product that competes with the SawStop device and probably
won't be until the patent runs out as the patent is pretty
comprehensive and it's not easy to make an end run around one that
covers the whole concept so thoroughly.

It's freedom of choice, Leon. I won't be denied mine. If you want
to lose that freedom to choose, that's your business.

CJ

Sam Chambers July 10th 03 02:56 PM

"Robert Bonomi" bonomi@c-ns. wrote in message
*EXCEPT* that anything that meets the 'petition' specifications is covered

by
_their_ PATENT.

Thus, _effectively_, giving them a *monopoly* of the market.

No, it doesn't. The proposed regulation would dictate what a saw safety
device would hve to do. It does not say HOW it must be done. If someone
else can come up with a different product that achieves the same performance
goals in a different way, they would meet the definitions in the regulation
and would not violate SawStop's patent.

Again, a monopoly is not created just because someone is first to the market
with a new product. If that were the case, there would never be another new
innovation!

--
=====================
Sam Chambers

Please reply to the group. The e-mail address is just a SPAM trap, and I
don't check it very often.

Bob Gramza July 10th 03 04:02 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

: No, it doesn't. The proposed regulation would dictate what a saw safety
: device would hve to do. It does not say HOW it must be done. If someone
: else can come up with a different product that achieves the same performance
: goals in a different way, they would meet the definitions in the regulation
: and would not violate SawStop's patent.
:
: Again, a monopoly is not created just because someone is first to the market
: with a new product. If that were the case, there would never be another new
: innovation!
:
:
: --
:The product is on the market. Apparently very few people are buying it. Saw Stop appears to want to
get their development cost back by having the Govt. legislate it.

Doug Miller July 10th 03 04:20 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

In article , (Chris) wrote:
[snip]
Now, it would be intrusive if
the government also passed a law that said that you, as a consumer,
HAD to use the SawStop or blade guard, etc.

But that's _exactly_ what $aw$top has petitioned the CPSC to do: pass a law
that, in effect, requires consumers to use their product.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller July 10th 03 04:25 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

In article , "Leon" wrote:
[snip]

Well again Doug, I am not trying to convence you that governmant mandate is
tha best way. I am only indicating that I am not going to let the fact of
government intervention sway my decision as to whether I get one or not.

Yet you're quite content to allow government intervention to make that
decision for the rest of us.

Hypocrite.

I'm looking out for me.

Bull****.

If you were truly looking out for yourself, you'd have a $aw$top tablesaw
already. You just want to force your opinions on everyone else.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller July 10th 03 04:29 PM

In article , "Leon" wrote:
Umm.. the module has already been in use for many years now... Probably not
as you think of it but it is in deed in use. The perimeters are set higher
than most speed limits but that could be easily changed by different
programming. GM started using an ECM in the Early 80's... 1980 IIRC. ECM
was short for Electronic Control Module. Among all the sensors it
monitored, it monitored engine RPM and vehicle speed. There was and still
is an RPM limiter to prevent owners from going past redline and the speed
monitors helped to determine when the transmissions would shift depending on
engine RPM.

You don't know WTF you're talking about.

I haven't driven a stickshift car yet, that I couldn't push well past the
redline.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller July 10th 03 04:30 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"ken" wrote in message
om...
Oh, so that's it. You want to force everyone to buy this thing so the
cost will drop down for yourself. You wouldn't happen to be a lawyer
yourself would you? You sound about their level.

Yeah, if that is what it takes for "me" to be able to buy one in the future.
Although, no one would be forced to buy a TS.
While this may sound self centered, no more so than those that oppose the
idea of government intervention in this particular case to simply prove a
point. The point is taken and accepted into consideration... I'll go with
the government in this case because I still want to do wood working and have
the added safety.

So buy the damned saw, if you think it's so important. Just don't force the
rest of us to buy something we don't want.

Hypocrite.

You personally sound like.....

--
Regards,

Larry Blanchard July 10th 03 05:13 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

In article ,
says...
Nothing too surprising in their reply, and it probably is a form letter that
they send to anyone complaining about their business tactics. Leon, you
really should ask them if you can be a spokesman for their company, you and
this Fanning guy are definitely on the same wavelength.

Yep - the exact same response I got. I wrote back and told them I could
recognize self-serving bull**** when I saw it.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

timonjkl July 10th 03 05:20 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"Leon" wrote in
.com:

Its really a catch 22 situation. Your are dammed if you let the
government protect you and you are dammed if you refuse to let the
government protect you. In this case, I'll go with the government.

Then go buy the saw and SHUT THE H___ UP!

JackD July 10th 03 05:30 PM

"Sam Chambers" wrote in message
[...]

Did you read the "performance specification" that was submitted? It states a
number of requirements which are clearly tailored to a specific
implementation - the very same implementation that is patented by those
submitting the petition. If the petition were more broadly worded, then I'd
agree with you. But it isn't and therefore people are crying foul.

-Jack

Rob Stokes July 10th 03 06:27 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

Jesus Leon, this isn't about safety, it's about the company and potentially
the government telling you how YOU can use YOUR tablesaw in YOUR house. You
may be OK with this, but I'm not. It's got nothing to do with safety. I'm
responsible for me. You're responsible for you. You can shake your head at
me all you want to if I'm not acting in a safe manner but nothing....nothing
gives YOU the right to tell me how I should act. Same goes for this Sawstop
company...

When Sawstop first came out with the product most people in this group did a
collective "wow!!". Everyone wanted to learn more and most thought it was a
great idea. I was included in that group and I'm STILL included in that
group. I think that the Sawstop on the market today is an early version of
what could become a really good addition to my table saw allowing it to be a
safer tool. The key here, is that it's MY choice, not yours (or the
governments) to use it.

Side note. In Britain, dado blades are illegal. Why? Because the Government
decided they were too dangerous and the WW community didn;t stand up and say
"take a hike". You may want to live in that sort of society but not me
Leon...not me.

Rob

"Leon" wrote in message
.com...
"Chris Johnson" wrote in message

So in essence, you are of the belief that your safety is secondary to your
opinion.

Tim Douglass July 10th 03 06:58 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:11:04 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Doug, this is simply my opinion... I simply would put my safety before
balking at the method of delivery. I try not to cut my nose off to spite my
face.

I think there are always times when we should look at what is happening in
business and government and for me I pick the lessor of two evils.
I'll save the trip to the ER to pass on knocking the company.

I view things like blade guards and SawStop in the same category as
insurance. They provide a protection that it is almost foolish to live
without. But you can get various levels of coverage. The SawStop
device is a bit like carrying full accident coverage on your car with
no deductible. Personally I decide what level of risk I am willing to
assume and adjust my actions accordingly.

I'll stick with my regular guard and reasonable caution, that's a
level of risk I am willing to assume at a cost I am willing to pay.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Tim Douglass July 10th 03 07:04 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:23:36 -0400, "Bergen"
wrote:

This SawStop thing got me to thinking. According to the Department of
Transportation, 41,000 people are killed and another 3.4 million are injured
in the US each year from accidents caused by speeding. Maybe I could invent
a module that would disable a vehicles engine if the driver exceeded the
speed limit. Then I could petition to make it mandatory that all automobile
manufacturers use my device in their vehicles. Heck, I'd only charge them 1%
of each sale to use my device. Hmm, 1% of all vehicle sales every year...and
be the good guy for saving all those lives and limbs :-)

Some years ago there was an experimental device on some cars to
prevent you from driving while intoxicated. You had to punch in a
series of randomly generated numbers accurately in a certain amount of
time for the car to start. I don't recall the details, but it seems
the company got sued into oblivion when some woman tried to get away
from a rapist and couldn't because she was too scared to punch the
right numbers. I would love for there to be a foolproof way to prevent
people from driving when they have been drinking, but I doubt any such
thing is possible and would probably still hesitate to have it
required.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Charlie Spitzer July 10th 03 07:15 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"Leon" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

it's already available. do you have one already? if not, then you're a
hypocrite. you're waiting for it to become mandatory first? then your
argument doesn't make sense.

Charlie Spitzer July 10th 03 07:22 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...
In article , "Leon"

wrote:
[...]

rev limiter. it's there a bit past redline to protect the engine from
floating your valves, or blowing up the engine. you can program the ecm to
move the cutout point around some, but it's not recommended for obvious
reasons. it doesn't really work on ground speed.

the OP is talking about speed governors. they also exist, large fleets and
people with teenagers tend to use them more often than the general public.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Leon July 10th 03 08:02 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

No, I would be a hypocrite if I past on getting one on my next saw or passed
on a retrofit. I am not in the market for a new saw right now. If however
I could adapt my saw for 3 or 4 hundred dollars today, I would do that.

"todd" wrote in message

Not a hypocrite.... If I knowingly chose to buy the next TS with out the

Saw
Stop or similar device, then I would be a hypocrite.

But I just may speed up that process anyway and get one sooner than

later.

You've already used the "getting hurt costs more than making it safe"
argument. If your point is valid, why are you going to wait 2 more years
until you've gotten more money out of your Unisaw? Aren't you just

trading
money for safety, to use your argument? So, if you are exercising that
choice of your own free will, why do you support the government stepping

in
to remove that choice? You'll be a hypocrite if you don't get one at your
first opportunity.

todd

Sam Chambers July 10th 03 08:17 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"Bob Gramza" wrote in message
.com...
:The product is on the market. Apparently very few people are buying it.

Saw Stop appears to want to
get their development cost back by having the Govt. legislate it.

Yes, and no. The product has been developed, and the company has been
taking reservations for their own brand of saws for some time. But I'm not
aware that they're actually shipping anything.

Now, if they could come up with a way to retrofit the darned thing, they'd
obviously have a much broader market.

SawStop sees a market for their product, but the manufacturers aren't
willing to adopt it on their own. As I stated in another post, there may be
reluctance on the manufacturers' parts to voluntarily add better safety
equipment, due to increased lawsuits filed by people who were injured using
(or not using) the old safety equipment.
--
=====================

Doug Miller July 10th 03 08:19 PM

In article , "Charlie Spitzer" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
In article , "Leon"

wrote:
[...]

Must be more than "a bit past redline" based on my experience. :-) But Leon
contended that cars have limiters which prevent "going past the redline" and
that _just_ain't_so_. Not in any car I've ever driven.

--
Regards,

Leon July 10th 03 08:23 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
s.com...

Jesus Leon, this isn't about safety, it's about the company and

potentially
the government telling you how YOU can use YOUR tablesaw in YOUR house.

You
may be OK with this, but I'm not. It's got nothing to do with safety. I'm
responsible for me. You're responsible for you. You can shake your head at
me all you want to if I'm not acting in a safe manner but

nothing....nothing
gives YOU the right to tell me how I should act. Same goes for this

Sawstop
company...

Wellll gollee Rob,

I thought it was about safety, my safety to be precise... And, you don't
have to be OK with it. Its a free country, feel the way you like. In this
case I think it is the right thing to do. And, act the way you want, that
does not bother me. The way you think doe not bother me at all. You are
entitled to your thoughts the same as I am.

When Sawstop first came out with the product most people in this group did

collective "wow!!". Everyone wanted to learn more and most thought it was

great idea.

I remember most every one knocking it because they felt it would instill a
false sense of security, which it may.

I was included in that group and I'm STILL included in that
group. I think that the Sawstop on the market today is an early version of
what could become a really good addition to my table saw allowing it to be

safer tool. The key here, is that it's MY choice, not yours (or the
governments) to use it.

Never have I ever indicated that you should buy a TS with this product. You
should not have to buy anything if you dont want.... but if the only way to
get a TS is with the extra safe guard, you very well may have a decision to
make. Get one with this feature or get a used one. It's your choice and no
one is forcing you to buy either one.

Side note. In Britain, dado blades are illegal. Why? Because the

Government
decided they were too dangerous and the WW community didn;t stand up and

say
"take a hike". You may want to live in that sort of society but not me
Leon...not me.

And yet you probably drive a car with government mandated air bags and seat
belts and you even probably have a law requiring you to wear the seat
belts.............hummm This really is no different.

Leon July 10th 03 08:33 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

it's already available. do you have one already? if not, then you're a
hypocrite. you're waiting for it to become mandatory first? then your
argument doesn't make sense.

My point is, I want one on my next saw, right now I am not in the market for
a saw. My next saw will have it if they are still available.
If the government mandates a safety device of this kind, I will not have to
worry about IF the product will be available when and if I do purchase
another saw. If the government does not mandate this then I very well may
miss out on the opportunity along with most every one else.

Sam Chambers July 10th 03 08:36 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"todd" wrote in message
Here you go. http://www.sawstop.com/ordering.htm I'm sure you'll have an
order placed right away. No need to wait for your nanny, Uncle Sam, to
mandate it.

Sounds like you're one of the many who believe they're so careful, so in
control of their actions at the table saw that they'll never, ever, ever be
injured. You know, if you talk to people who've been injured, you may find
that they all thought they had taken the necessary safety precautions and
were paying attention to what they were doing.

None - OK, maybe there a few sado-masichistic people out there, so let's
call it 0.00000001% - of people injured on table saws intended to injure
themselves. A system like this is intended to protect people from
involuntary injuries.

Doug Miller July 10th 03 08:43 PM

In article m, "Leon" wrote:

it's already available. do you have one already? if not, then you're a
hypocrite. you're waiting for it to become mandatory first? then your
argument doesn't make sense.

My point is, I want one on my next saw, right now I am not in the market for
a saw. My next saw will have it if they are still available.

But I thought you were concerned for your safety, Leon. If you're really as
concerned as you claim to be, sell your current saw and buy a $aw$top
immediately.

If the government mandates a safety device of this kind, I will not have to
worry about IF the product will be available when and if I do purchase
another saw. If the government does not mandate this then I very well may
miss out on the opportunity along with most every one else.

If you buy it now, you won't have to worry about future availability, either.

--
Regards,

JackD July 10th 03 08:44 PM

SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

Wellll gollee Rob,

I thought it was about safety, my safety to be precise... And, you don't
have to be OK with it. Its a free country, feel the way you like. In

this
case I think it is the right thing to do. And, act the way you want, that
does not bother me. The way you think doe not bother me at all. You are
entitled to your thoughts the same as I am.

I'd say this discussion is not about safety. It is about the business
tactics of SawStop. One of their tactics is to show gory pictures of fingers
which have been chopped off. One of their tactics is to say "if you are
against this you are against safety". One of their tactics is to petition
the government to get their proprietary product mandated so that they can
sell it. I find this approach manipulative, offensive, anti-competitive and
generally sleazy.

Never have I ever indicated that you should buy a TS with this product.

You
should not have to buy anything if you dont want.... but if the only way

get a TS is with the extra safe guard, you very well may have a decision

make. Get one with this feature or get a used one. It's your choice and

no
one is forcing you to buy either one.

Leon, you seem to keep insisting that this regulation is necessary in order
to bring the product to market? Why is this the case?
Can't they sell it without someone MAKING you buy it?

And yet you probably drive a car with government mandated air bags and

seat
belts and you even probably have a law requiring you to wear the seat
belts.............hummm This really is no different.

Leon, safety sells. How many million$ were spent producing advertisements
that you have seen showing side airbags and other automotive safety
features? How many soccer moms bought volvos based on their reputation for
safety? I know many many people who have taken crashworthiness as one of the
prime criteria in selecting a new car. People will pay a premium for an
automobile which is safer. That SawStop can not capitalize on people's
demand for safe products and must have their product mandated by the
government is an indication that their product is unwanted at the current
price. Perhaps they could try to make it better and cheaper so that people
will actually demand it instead of trying to ensure a monopoly through
regulation? Build a better mousetrap and all that...

-Jack