Posted to rec.woodworking

Default metal bat

The sound of an aluminum bat hitting a ball, akin to someone scraping
fingernails on a blackboard, is a crime against nature, Mom and Apple Pie,
and could only be enjoyed by some dufus who wears his baseball cap backwards
.... indeed, there oughta be a law!

Now, someone else's turn ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with "the bat" its just the fact
that "THEY" have the right to TAKE something away! It should be the peoples
choice. I am not an sports minded person so I could really care less. Its
like in my sons school, "THEY" have taken away tag! Whats next no recess,
and next it will be gym class, then painting or using glue howabout pens and
pencils hell you might lose an eye. In the end I see kids in schools made of
foam padding in straight jackets listening to an overhead speaker! Oh , wait
then they would have to use ear plugs so as not to damage their hearing. I
ran, jumped, played baseball, hunted, smoked, drank, drove fast (without my
seatbelt) But I am still here and hopefully normal. I have everything I came
into the world with, I don't drink or smoke and I drive a bit slower, but
thats what we learn with age, how to be a resposible person!!

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

If all you have to worry about is loosing the use of a metal baseball bat,
you are missing a lot that is going on. In the supposed "land of the free",
citizens of the US these days, seem to be loosing rights and privileges
faster that one can keep up with. All the various levels of governments have
a "need" or "desire" to keep everyone under tight control, in case they
learn what the politicians are really up to.

"Shopdog" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

thats what we learn with age, how to be a resposible person!!

Agreed - and those who don't/can't learn really shouldn't be in the
gene pool anyway. BBgun wounds, skinned knees, stitches, and the like

have all been influential (and perhaps beneficial) parts of my life so

far, and if we as a society enforce rules preventing those things in
the name of safety or progress, I think we've taken something from
future generations.
OTOH, I'm thankful for SOME of the modern conveniences/intrusions into

our lives - I'd have a good-sized dent in my head if it weren't for a
bike helmet, for example. But if some guy WANTS to drive his
crotch-rocket at 90mph without a helmet to "feel the wind in his
hair," he should have the right to do so (provided I don't have to pay

his life support bills for the next 50 years).
Overall, I see freedom and responsibility and privacy being gradually
eroded in the US, and I'm not sure I like or believe the "safer"
future to which we're heading.
How about some opinions from our European or Canadian or Australian
friends?
Thanks for the chance to rant a bit,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Of my growing concern is the "Food Police". I have enough of official Gov.
agencies telling me what I can and cannot do. Now some small vocal group is
going to tell me what not to eat. Bite Me......errr that might be
unhealthy.......Pass the animal fat please.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

thats what we learn with age, how to be a resposible person!!

Agreed - and those who don't/can't learn really shouldn't be in the
gene pool anyway. BBgun wounds, skinned knees, stitches, and the like

have all been influential (and perhaps beneficial) parts of my life so

far, and if we as a society enforce rules preventing those things in
the name of safety or progress, I think we've taken something from
future generations.
OTOH, I'm thankful for SOME of the modern conveniences/intrusions into

our lives - I'd have a good-sized dent in my head if it weren't for a
bike helmet, for example. But if some guy WANTS to drive his
crotch-rocket at 90mph without a helmet to "feel the wind in his
hair," he should have the right to do so (provided I don't have to pay

his life support bills for the next 50 years).

That's just it, most of the idiots wind up on welfare or what ever or life
support. Who's paying for that? Good chance if he had been wearing the
helmet, he could be at work paying for some other idiot's screw up.

Overall, I see freedom and responsibility and privacy being gradually
eroded in the US, and I'm not sure I like or believe the "safer"
future to which we're heading.
How about some opinions from our European or Canadian or Australian
friends?
Thanks for the chance to rant a bit,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
m...

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

And that's one of the hidden dangers of a welfare state. What should be an
individual choice becomes the government's business when the consequences of
that choice can require expenditure of the government's money.

Overall, I see freedom and responsibility and privacy being gradually
eroded in the US, and I'm not sure I like or believe the "safer"
future to which we're heading.
How about some opinions from our European or Canadian or Australian
friends?
Thanks for the chance to rant a bit,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:
Snip
Overall, I see freedom and responsibility and privacy being gradually
eroded in the US, and I'm not sure I like or believe the "safer"
future to which we're heading.
How about some opinions from our European or Canadian or Australian
friends?
Thanks for the chance to rant a bit,
Andy

G'day Andy,
Here in West Oz it's like being in shackles.
It just seems that people don't want to take responsabilty for their
action any more so the Govt. thinks it has to step in and be Mum and Dad
to all.
I won't go into our ridicules Gun Laws.
Some things like the compulsory wearing of seat belts and helmets on
Motor bikes do sent cost money to implement and cause very little hard
ship or inconvience on the general population.
Others like not being able to transport people in the back of utes are
bloody stupid. This law has meant that if more than 2 or 3(Bench seat)
blokes are working some where 2 vehicles have to be taken. You can't
even give someone a lift if both front front seats are taken.
This intrusion into our lives start with local councils and goes right
to Fed Govt..
In Kal the Council says you can't place a "For Sale Sign" in you car and
park it in a public place e.g. normal parking position on the street.
State Govt. States that you can't sell home made jams and cakes etc. at
fates and fairs.
It just goes on and on.
Thanks for the invite to whinge a bit Now off my soap box and to work
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article s.com,
EXT wrote:
If all you have to worry about is loosing the use of a metal baseball bat,
you are missing a lot that is going on. In the supposed "land of the free",
citizens of the US these days, seem to be loosing rights and privileges
faster that one can keep up with. All the various levels of governments have
a "need" or "desire" to keep everyone under tight control, in case they
learn what the politicians are really up to.

...snipped...

Orwell was a little pessimistic in how quickly it would happen but we
seem to be headed down that path.

--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -