Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Junior Member

Default MDF and Mold in the basement cabinent hiding my sump pum area

I recently had my basement finished. The contractor used MDF to build a cabinet around my sump pump area. It has been about three months since the basement was finished. I decided now to have the cabinet painted. While looking at the cabinet I noticed mold growning on the inside of the doors. I have been told several things by others. 1st) The cabinet should be vented due to the sump pump, 2nd) I need to be sure the MDF isnt resting on the concrete as it will suck the water up like a wick. 3rd) Get it painted right away after cleaning the mold off with a bleach like substance. Is the contractor responisble for this problem at all? I did plan on painting the basement myself, but ws never told to get it done due to possible molding.

Thanks Dominic