Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS JGS is offline

Default MDF and Mold in the basement cabinent hiding my sump pum area

Hi Dominic,
I think the reason no one has answered is that no one can believe that
someone would use MDF for such an application. I would think that water
resistant plywood or painted MDO would be the reasonable choices.
Cheers, JG

"Dominic" wrote in message
news

I recently had my basement finished. The contractor used MDF to build a
cabinet around my sump pump area. It has been about three months since
the basement was finished. I decided now to have the cabinet painted.
While looking at the cabinet I noticed mold growning on the inside of
the doors. I have been told several things by others. 1st) The cabinet
should be vented due to the sump pump, 2nd) I need to be sure the MDF
isnt resting on the concrete as it will suck the water up like a wick.
3rd) Get it painted right away after cleaning the mold off with a
bleach like substance. Is the contractor responisble for this problem
at all? I did plan on painting the basement myself, but ws never told
to get it done due to possible molding.

Thanks Dominic

--
Dominic