Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Design for Dust Collection

Hi, All,
Just got a Delta dust collector ??-750 I think, and will pick it up
at the end of the month. (Two houses, one old human butt) I also
ordered a cyclone garbage can top, and a bunch of hoses, clamps, gates,
and elbows from Veritas. My shop is a 4 car garage, minus room for the
wife's car. My question is what to consider when installing this dust
collector. The table saw does not move yet, the plainer and jointer
are on lockable castors, and the drill press may in the future. And
the hand held router makes a GIANT mess when I cut dovetails.

Do I put this in a corner, out of the way, and run pipe around the
shop, or what? Maybe fixed hose up high, with flexible hoses coming
down every 8 feet or so? Or find a dedicated location for each tool
and hard wire in the dust collection?

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for the
help.

Rich.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not familiar with your particular model dust collector, however, from
your comment about the garbage can top it appears to be one of the large
portable 2hp or so units with a 2-4'' intake port. Since these units loose
efficiency very quickly with longer lengths of suction hose and they are
frequently barely adequate to begin with, I would make a roll around base to
hold the dust collector and the garbage can so I could easily move it around
my shop. I would then move it from one machine to another as my work flow
required. Using it this way would give me the maximum efficiency possible at
whatever machine that I use.

--
Charley

"rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

rich wrote:

Just got a Delta dust collector ??-750 I think, and will pick it up
at the end of the month.

If it's the 50-760, then it's a 1.5 HP model. I own one of these.

ordered a cyclone garbage can top, and a bunch of hoses, clamps, gates,
and elbows from Veritas.

Do I put this in a corner, out of the way, and run pipe around the
shop, or what? Maybe fixed hose up high, with flexible hoses coming
down every 8 feet or so? Or find a dedicated location for each tool
and hard wire in the dust collection?

Those cyclone lids work great for shop vacs, but not so well with dust
collectors. If the collector is moving enough air to do a good job, it
can suck the cyclone bin empty.

Assuming the collector is the model mentioned above, it's not powerful
enough to do a proper job when hooked into a central system. It will
perform best when hooked directly to the tool with a bare minimum of
pipe/hose.

Your lungs will be safest if the collector is run outside the garage so
that the dust that makes it through the bags blows away.

The combination of these factors basically means running your tools as
close to the entrance as possible. Use a fitting to connect the 5" port
on the collector to a short length of 6" duct, then use a short length
of flex hose (or split to a couple of 4" flex hoses for above/below
collection on the table saw).

See Bill Pentz's website for a lot more information.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
rich wrote:

[...]

Thanks! The Bill Pentz website looks like just what I needed!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

rich wrote:
I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for the
help.

For small handheld machines like the routers, you might want to
consider using a shop vac. The dust collectors won't have much grunt
when you hook them up to a 2.5" hose. I'm thinking about this thing
called the GUV which looks like a cross between a shop vac and a house
central vac machine. Oneida also sells this mini cyclone thing for
shop vacs. That looks like an ideal arrangement.

brian