DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacement for viewing JPG files (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/180663-replacement-viewing-jpg-files.html)

[email protected] October 27th 06 06:55 PM

Replacement for viewing JPG files

During an upload of software the program halted and hasn't responded
since. Adobe tells me they no longer support 7.0 and looking on their
site is an overabundance of options NOT in reasonable price range for
what I'm after. One photoshop program is priced at almost $650.00.
All that I'm looking for is decoding the JPG files on the alt.binaries
newsgroups and others buried in posts. Using Windows XP for home for
info. What programs do others find viable?

Lee Michaels October 27th 06 07:37 PM

wrote in message
During an upload of software the program halted and hasn't responded
since. Adobe tells me they no longer support 7.0 and looking on their
site is an overabundance of options NOT in reasonable price range for
what I'm after. One photoshop program is priced at almost $650.00.
All that I'm looking for is decoding the JPG files on the alt.binaries
newsgroups and others buried in posts. Using Windows XP for home for
info. What programs do others find viable?

If all you are doing is viewing files, there should be plenty of free
viewers out there. Including within XP. If you need to update, then do that.

Nova October 27th 06 08:09 PM

wrote:
During an upload of software the program halted and hasn't responded
since. Adobe tells me they no longer support 7.0 and looking on their
site is an overabundance of options NOT in reasonable price range for
what I'm after. One photoshop program is priced at almost $650.00.
All that I'm looking for is decoding the JPG files on the alt.binaries
newsgroups and others buried in posts. Using Windows XP for home for
info. What programs do others find viable?

I like "Irfanview" and its free.

http://www.irfanview.com/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

[email protected] October 27th 06 08:18 PM

Replacement for viewing JPG files

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, whatever browser (IE,
FireFox, Mozilla) you're using should be able to open most standard
images (JPG, PNG, GIF, etc)

[email protected] October 27th 06 08:38 PM

Replacement for viewing JPG files

I use ACDsee. It supports about every type of picutre file.

http://www.acdsee.com/?CMP=OTC-ACD60SoftLinkWhatNewUpg

Upscale October 27th 06 09:18 PM

wrote in message
All that I'm looking for is decoding the JPG files on the alt.binaries
newsgroups and others buried in posts. Using Windows XP for home for
info. What programs do others find viable?

You're using Agent 4.1. That decodes JPG files including yEnc fine. I fail
to see what your problem is.

Prometheus October 28th 06 02:05 AM

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:55:16 -0400, wrote:

During an upload of software the program halted and hasn't responded
since. Adobe tells me they no longer support 7.0 and looking on their
site is an overabundance of options NOT in reasonable price range for
what I'm after. One photoshop program is priced at almost $650.00.
All that I'm looking for is decoding the JPG files on the alt.binaries
newsgroups and others buried in posts. Using Windows XP for home for
info. What programs do others find viable?

If all you're doing is viewing jpgs, Irfanview is a great program, and
free.

Jordan October 28th 06 02:24 AM

Replacement for viewing JPG files

If you are looking for something comparable to Adobe Photoshop, then an
inexpensive alternative is Corel Paint Shop Pro which is less than $100. It
has most of the editing capabilities (filetypes, layers, plugins) that
Photoshop supports. I use Photoshop at work but wasn't willing to spend
that kind of cash at home and have been quite happy with Paint Shop Pro.

George Max October 30th 06 04:12 PM

Replacement for viewing JPG files

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:55:16 -0400, wrote:

During an upload of software the program halted and hasn't responded
since. Adobe tells me they no longer support 7.0 and looking on their
site is an overabundance of options NOT in reasonable price range for
what I'm after. One photoshop program is priced at almost $650.00.
All that I'm looking for is decoding the JPG files on the alt.binaries
newsgroups and others buried in posts. Using Windows XP for home for
info. What programs do others find viable?

Firehand Ember. I have that, and it used to be free, but I haven't
checked in a long time.

One other possible alternative is Photoshop Elements. It's a pretty
nice subset of Photoshop. If you're willing to spend money and
continue with the commands you already know.