Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tip of the Day

When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

It clears chips better, too. I think.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

Why are you in such a hurry?

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

Sage advice. Also parsley, rosemary and thyme. Made me laugh.
bongo boy,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in
the clockwise direction for faster feed.

Heh!

When screwing in screws poke the screw through a piece of cardboard as a
holding point till it bites with the wood,then remove cardboard and finish
screwing.

No dirty remarks please. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

Drill? You mean the bits are supposed to rotate?! No wonder I was
going through bits so quickly with the hammer. Damn things should come
with instructions (not that I'd read them).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski (in )
said:

| When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in
| the clockwise direction for faster feed.

Also: If you turn the drill bit so that the smooth end is in the
chuck, it all works more better - and there's a lot less smoke.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

isn't that cheating?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

You should also have the screwdriver bit turning clockwise when installing
the screws

My den/office has an "L" shaped counter along 2 walls - about 23' of counter
from Steelcase cubicles - the company kept moving people around and finally
needed the office they were using for spare parts storage and the installer
gave me a chance to take what I wanted (including keyboard trays and
drawers) before the rest went into the dumpster. Anyway, when I installed
the counter, I had to join some peices with metal plates on the bottom -
worked great until the last joint, then the d*** screws wouldn't even get
started into the pilot holes - it took me 10 minutes to figure out what was
wrong

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sooner or later we all have that problem.

Reminded me of this one:
This fellow is looking to buy a saw to cut down some trees in his back yard. He goes
to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws. The dealer tells him, "Look, I
have a lot of models, but why don't you save yourself a lot of time and aggrevation
and get the top-of-the-line model. This chainsaw will cut a hundred cords of wood for
you in one day."

So the man takes the chainsaw home and begins working on the trees. After cutting for
several hours and only cutting two cords, he decides to quit. He thinks there is
something wrong with the chainsaw. "How can I cut for hours and only cut two cords?",
the man asks himself. "I will begin first thing in the morning and cut all day", the
man tells himself.

So, the next morning the man gets up at 4 in the morning and cuts, and cuts, and cuts
till nightfall, and he only manages to cut five cords.

The man is convinced this is a bad saw. "The dealer told me it would cut one hundred
cords of wood in a day, no problem. I will take this saw back to the dealer", the man
says to himself.

The very next day the man brings the saw back to the dealer and explains the problem.
The dealer, baffled by the man's claim, removes the chainsaw from the case. The
dealer says, "Huh, it looks fine." Then the dealer starts the chainsaw, to which the
man responds,

"What's that noise?"

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

You forgot to specify this only applies to drilling in the northern
hemisphere.

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:

When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

And make sure the pointy end is down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 12:32 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

When using a dado stack, put the chippers on with teeth facing the
front for cleaner cuts.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Oct 21, 12:32 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

When using a dado stack, put the chippers on with teeth facing the
front for cleaner cuts.

JP

I almost installed a bandsaw blade backwards. The teeth were pointing
forward, but were upside down.
While coiling it for storage, I somehow turned it inside out. Fortunately, I
caught it before turning the bandsaw on. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
On Oct 21, 12:32 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

When using a dado stack, put the chippers on with teeth facing the
front for cleaner cuts.

You sure about that?

Installing a chop-saw blade backwards (don't try that if
it has carbide teeth) will give you smmoother cuts in
plastic pipe.

I suspect that installing the chippers backwards may give
you very smooth, dark and shiny dados--until the wood
caches fire.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the clockwise direction for faster feed.

Roy Underhill jokes that rotating a brace and bit counter-clockwise
will add wood rather than remove it.

He also claims that there are only 27 woodworking jokes and that's one
of them. I only know two more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:SYr_g.16812$e66.726
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

When planting sod and shrubs always remember "brown down - green up"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 12:32 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the
clockwise direction for faster feed.

That's a crock... it won't even smoke that way.... what are you trying
to get us to do?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Before setting a nail flush, turn loose of it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 04:48:17 -0000, "Bill" wrote:

Before setting a nail flush, turn loose of it.

I'll mop up the keyboard in a minute. Man, snorting a diet Coke through my nose makes my eyes
water.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy put an "RP" wrote:
: On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 04:48:17 -0000, "Bill" wrote:

:Before setting a nail flush, turn loose of it.

: I'll mop up the keyboard in a minute. Man, snorting a diet Coke through my nose makes my eyes
: water.

I'm not getting the joke. Splain please?

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Andrew Barss wrote:
Roy put an "RP" wrote:
: On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 04:48:17 -0000, "Bill" wrote:

:Before setting a nail flush, turn loose of it.

: I'll mop up the keyboard in a minute. Man, snorting a diet Coke through my
nose makes my eyes
: water.

I'm not getting the joke. Splain please?

Think about it a while longer. It should come to you.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
:
:I'm not getting the joke. Splain please?

: Think about it a while longer. It should come to you.

"Turn loose of it" isn't English for me. It's either "let it loose"
or "let go of it".

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:
Roy put an "RP" wrote:
: On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 04:48:17 -0000, "Bill" wrote:

:Before setting a nail flush, turn loose of it.

: I'll mop up the keyboard in a minute. Man, snorting a diet Coke through my nose makes my eyes
: water.

I'm not getting the joke. Splain please?

-- Andy Barss

Hookay, here goes.

You're driving a nail, right?

You want to pound the head right down flush with the surface, right?

You have your fingers holding it as it gets deeper and deeper, right?

Eventually your fingers are sticking up higher than the nail, right?

At that point, you should have let go of it already/

rm
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Before setting a nail flush, turn loose of it.

Like the mohel said,

"Thanks for the tip!"

--

FF