Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Default Mulberry wood

Has anyone ever heard of using a mulberry tree for lumber?

I have an old tree that has stopped producing and seems to be dying.

Tree would make a 2 to 3 foot across and maybe 20 foot long log.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of using a mulberry tree for lumber?

I have an old tree that has stopped producing and seems to be dying.

Tree would make a 2 to 3 foot across and maybe 20 foot long log.

The wood is ugly (IMO) and similar to Osage Orange (a close relative).
The little I've worked with is hard and could be used for tool handles.
I tossed it.

Jess.S
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jesse R Strawbridge" wrote in message
om...
Lee wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of using a mulberry tree for lumber?

I have an old tree that has stopped producing and seems to be dying.

Tree would make a 2 to 3 foot across and maybe 20 foot long log.

The wood is ugly (IMO) and similar to Osage Orange (a close relative). The
little I've worked with is hard and could be used for tool handles. I
tossed it.

Osage Orange is gorgeous! It is just too expensive to use. Maybe it is a
matter of taste. (Haven't seen mulberry)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of using a mulberry tree for lumber?

I have an old tree that has stopped producing and seems to be dying.

Tree would make a 2 to 3 foot across and maybe 20 foot long log.

The wood is ugly (IMO) and similar to Osage Orange (a close relative). The
little I've worked with is hard and could be used for tool handles. I
tossed it.

Osage Orange is gorgeous! It is just too expensive to use. Maybe it is a
matter of taste. (Haven't seen mulberry)

After googling it, I see there are several types of mulberry. The one
(red mulberry) that grows on my property has a very white sapwood with
an ugly green heartwood. Apparently some kinds are used for wood
working. Note: the references I found list Osage orange as a species of
mulberry.

Jess.S
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee" wrote in message
Has anyone ever heard of using a mulberry tree for lumber?

I have an old tree that has stopped producing and seems to be dying.

Tree would make a 2 to 3 foot across and maybe 20 foot long log.

I have a White Mulberry that has a beautiful yellow wood. Very similar to
Osage Orange. Keep it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jesse R Strawbridge" wrote in message
om...

After googling it, I see there are several types of mulberry. The one
(red mulberry) that grows on my property has a very white sapwood with an
ugly green heartwood. Apparently some kinds are used for wood working.
Note: the references I found list Osage orange as a species of mulberry.

Jess.S

The White Bulberry has a deep and bright yellow color. I am in the process
of taking one down in my back yard and have make a small box with the
Mulberry inlayed into Walnut. They look great together.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of using a mulberry tree for lumber?

I have an old tree that has stopped producing and seems to be dying.

Tree would make a 2 to 3 foot across and maybe 20 foot long log.

http://www.hattonbrown.com/vserver/h...neKey=3&IssueK
ey=348&SectionKey=1655&ArticleKey=1008

Note that there are two types of mulberry...white & red. Link is for
red.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 00:32:13 GMT, Jesse R Strawbridge
wrote:

After googling it, I see there are several types of mulberry. The one
(red mulberry) that grows on my property has a very white sapwood with
an ugly green heartwood. Apparently some kinds are used for wood
working. Note: the references I found list Osage orange as a species of
mulberry.

Jess.S

The stuff I turned last year was white with yellow/gold heartwood...
Very pretty wood...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't know much about the lunber. Can be made into beautiful furniture
though. Bends easily with heat or steam. Excellent wood for people
making traditional self bows. Cut it down, split it into staves about
6' long and 2-3 inches wide. Will buy some myself if the dark growth
rings are 1/16 wide or greater. These staves sell well on ebay. Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Don't know about the wood, but silk worms like the leaves.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
Lee wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of using a mulberry tree for lumber?

I have an old tree that has stopped producing and seems to be dying.

Tree would make a 2 to 3 foot across and maybe 20 foot long log.

http://www.hattonbrown.com/vserver/h...neKey=3&IssueK
ey=348&SectionKey=1655&ArticleKey=1008

Note that there are two types of mulberry...white & red. Link is for
red.

Three species, white, red, and black, plus they hybridize so a
particular tree may not be one of those.

I haven't made anything from the wood yet, but I have
milled some small pieces and set them aside. I
like the look of it. Some pieces had a bit of chatoyance to
them.