Posted to rec.woodworking

Default shelac

I used to have a website that sold shellac flakes at a very reasonable
price. I thought it might be shellacflakes.com or something. Can someone
help me out?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can try http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/ their website is a bit
hard to use because you have to find PDF's with the catalog vs web
pages. However, they have a shellac pdf right near the top and they are
about 1/2 the price of woodcraft, etc.

speedbuggy wrote:
I used to have a website that sold shellac flakes at a very reasonable
price. I thought it might be shellacflakes.com or something. Can someone
help me out?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

speedbuggy wrote:
I used to have a website that sold shellac flakes at a very reasonable
price. I thought it might be shellacflakes.com or something. Can someone
help me out?

www.shellac.net. was founded by someone here on r.w, then sold to
another party. It's still online, but may not be taking orders
anymore.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Google it. Found 2 brands. Georg

Posted to rec.woodworking

speedbuggy wrote:
I used to have a website that sold shellac flakes at a very reasonable
price. I thought it might be shellacflakes.com or something. Can someone
help me out?

Thanks

woodfinishsupply.com and shellac.net (same company) are out of business
though the websites are still visible. Their prices look so good because
they haven't been updated for a long time.

Try us: www.hockfinishes.com, also available at Woodcraft,
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/ and others.

--
Ron Hock
HOCK TOOLS www.hocktools.com and www.hockfinishes.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

In MHO, I think one of the better sites for learning and buying finishing
products is Jeff Jewitt's site, Homestead Finishing Products.

I love shellac... my favorite finish!

Good Luck,

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker
www.woodworkinghobby.com

"Ron Hock" wrote in message
speedbuggy wrote:
I used to have a website that sold shellac flakes at a very reasonable
price. I thought it might be shellacflakes.com or something. Can someone
help me out?

Thanks

woodfinishsupply.com and shellac.net (same company) are out of business
though the websites are still visible. Their prices look so good because
they haven't been updated for a long time.

Try us: www.hockfinishes.com, also available at Woodcraft,
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/ and others.

--
Ron Hock
HOCK TOOLS www.hocktools.com and www.hockfinishes.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the info. Sad to see those nice folks in Mendocino go out of
business. It was always a nice visit for me when vacationing or abalone
diving in the area.

One question and one suggestion.

Q: How easy\efficient is it to dewax normal shellac by "skimming" after
mixing? I know you offer dewaxed but I need to do some color studies
and Hock is only available in 1lbs.

Suggestion: It would be nice if there was a "sampler" kit so I could
try the various colors to see which one I really want for my project.

I am currently trying to adjust a mission finish I've had dilaed in to
add some red\orange for a specific comission. I am planning on playing
with some transtint combos and\or some layering with orange or garnet
shellac. I hate to spend $50 on shellac to test when a 1/2 lb of what I
decide upon will be more than enough. I know the flakes will hold
forever but $50 now or $15 now (for 1/2 a lb) is a big dif.

Ron Hock wrote:
speedbuggy wrote:
I used to have a website that sold shellac flakes at a very reasonable
price. I thought it might be shellacflakes.com or something. Can someone
help me out?

Thanks

woodfinishsupply.com and shellac.net (same company) are out of business
though the websites are still visible. Their prices look so good because
they haven't been updated for a long time.

Try us: www.hockfinishes.com, also available at Woodcraft,
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/ and others.

--
Ron Hock
HOCK TOOLS www.hocktools.com and www.hockfinishes.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Oct 2006 11:44:45 -0700, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

[...snip...]

Q: How easy\efficient is it to dewax normal shellac by "skimming" after
mixing? I know you offer dewaxed but I need to do some color studies
and Hock is only available in 1lbs.

You can get a 1 lb bag of waxy Orange Shellac for $14 from Lee Valley
or $15 from Homestead (shipping extra).

If you mix it up and let it separate (keeping it a bit warm helps this
along), then you can easily decant the wax free shellac. At this price
point, it could be cost effective if you are using less expensive
denatured alcohol.

On the other hand, if you use Behkol or the anhydrous denatured
alcohol, you are spending more on solvent that remains with the waxy
residue, relative to the cost of the flakes.

Generally, I think you won't be able to beat Homestead's pricing on
dewaxed; from $19/lb for orange & garnet, to $26 for the "ultra pale".

Mind you, I have nothing against Hock shellac and would order from him
anytime. The price difference is small.