Posted to rec.woodworking

Default English Oak sleighback chairs

Hi there,

I have a number of antique English Oak chairs (sleighback style?). We
have used them for years, however they are gradually falling apart as
the glue fails. So I guess I need to lightly sand the joints and
re-glue them back together. My question for the group is: what type of
glue would you recommend for an old English Oak chair? And
additionally, what is the best way to clean or polish the surface of
these chairs (I don't want to damage them)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there,

I have a number of antique English Oak chairs (sleighback style?). We
have used them for years, however they are gradually falling apart as
the glue fails. So I guess I need to lightly sand the joints and
re-glue them back together. My question for the group is: what type of
glue would you recommend for an old English Oak chair? And
additionally, what is the best way to clean or polish the surface of
these chairs (I don't want to damage them)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

I've used Chair Doctor glues, they worked surprisingly well. I would drill
a tiny hole near the joint and flood it with this glue, clamp and wait. It
locked up the loose joints very well.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,110&p=30261

Dave

http://www.usenet.com