Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Leaving a lathe outside...

I am real short on room in my workshop, and a lathe makes a horrible mess.
I thought maybe I could kill two birds with one stone by leaving my lathe
outside in a shed I am going to build one of these days. (upstate NY) I
could just wheel it out of the shed and use it outside when the weather
allows.

I left a radial arm saw (or what was left of it after I returned the head to
Emerson) in a dirt floored barn for a year and it rusted up pretty bad.
Obviously I couldn't leave the lathe in that barn; it would be scrap iron in
no time. But my shed will be built on a deck a couple feet off the ground,
so I figure the humidity should not be as bad a problem as in the barn.

Is storing the lathe in a well ventilated shed likely to trash it? It won't
be that much different than a garage, but I have never kept a tool there...

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

Your main problem is going to be changes in temps causing condensation.
Might want to consider insulating the shed so temp changes won't happen
rapidly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

Not living in the frozen tundra, I can not say with authority how it will
survive but its hard to imagine relegating a valuable tool to the shed. If
you decide to send it out to the shed you might find it more trouble keeping
it from rusting than if it was in regular use in your shop.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

Is storing the lathe in a well ventilated shed likely to trash it? It
won't be that much different than a garage, but I have never kept a tool
there...

I (and probably many others) keep our tools in unheated garages. It does
take a little care for the exposed iron, of course. I'm not sure the well
ventilated is going to be good compared to reasonably sealed and dry.
Temperature fluctuation and condensation is the real culprit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message

Thanks.

Your main problem is going to be changes in temps causing condensation.
Might want to consider insulating the shed so temp changes won't happen
rapidly.

EXACTLY,, I live in a very humid environment and none of my machines rust
from humidity. The condensation caused by drastic and quick temperature
changes is going to be the problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
[...]

Properly treated, eg waxed and oiled/lubricated, it shouldn't be a problem.
Inspect it once a week or two weeks for "just in case" until you can see
it's standing up to the conditions. On mine I wax the beam well and then
wrap it in oily cloths and I coat the bearings with grease to stop moisture
entry. Haven't had a problem in many years, about a decade now.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 19:10:06 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

[...]

Personally I would not do it. My lathe cost over $4000, but I still
wouldn't store a cheap one in a shed for more than a week. You could
spread grease all over it to protect it from rusting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in news:UEVUg.1710$NE6.1094
@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

"Locutus" wrote in message

Thanks.

Your main problem is going to be changes in temps causing condensation.
Might want to consider insulating the shed so temp changes won't happen
rapidly.

EXACTLY,, I live in a very humid environment and none of my machines

rust
from humidity. The condensation caused by drastic and quick temperature
changes is going to be the problem.

I have a well insulated shop and I couldn't keep rust from forming on the
tool tops. Once I added A/C the problem disappeared.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Spray paint it and grease the exposed bits and etc. Spray it with
penetrating oil after use and the only problem would be the dirt
contaminating the workpiece. (And the elytrickery problems of course.)

How about making an airtight case for it instead of putting it in a
shed?

OT:
The want of space in the UK is a major factor in the differences in
posts to this site and the woodworking posts in UK.d-i-y. Such a little
thing to cause such a cultural gap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message

I have a well insulated shop and I couldn't keep rust from forming on the
tool tops. Once I added A/C the problem disappeared.

I store two ACs in the garage but still get rust in the winter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

Personally I would not do it. My lathe cost over $4000, but I still
wouldn't store a cheap one in a shed for more than a week. You could
spread grease all over it to protect it from rusting.

Try BoeShield, much better then grease

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

help with newly acquired lathe Jon Elson Metalworking 33 December 28th 05 05:15 PM
Rikon Lathe David Pugh Woodturning 2 October 29th 05 06:30 AM
House of tools lathe - comments Machineman Metalworking 24 July 11th 04 05:58 AM
My $20 lathe (well, sort of...) Patrick H. Corrigan Woodworking 4 August 29th 03 02:29 AM