Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thank you all very much.

Thank you for the tips on making my site more user friendly. I've done
most of the changes you suggested.... anyone got any more?

Check out muckleshed.com.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Barry, nearly every time I try to go to your site I get this message:
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site
owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.muckleshed.com Port 80

Eddie
wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you for the tips on making my site more user friendly. I've done
most of the changes you suggested.... anyone got any more?

Check out muckleshed.com.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh! Does anyone know what that means?

Barry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

thank you, how do I fix it then? Email my ISP?

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
ups.com:

thank you, how do I fix it then? Email my ISP?

Barry

Don't post links on Usenet?

Usually, after a short (as in a day) time it will reset and you'll be
able to access it again.

The other thing you can do is reduce the bandwidth your page needs on
each load. Here's a short list of things you can do:
1. Reduce the size and quality of the images (but not so much they're
difficult to see. Sometimes you can get away with a small color depth
change with almost not visable difference.)
2. Use thumbnails rather than large images. Link them to the large
version of the image so if the user clicks on the image he's rewarded
with the large version. If he's not interested, you only need 10k
instead of 100k.
3. Use text rather than images. Your logo should be an image, but don't
screen shot a word processing program so the users can read the word
document.
4. Make sure the graphics that are part of your page layout are requested
to be cached. This helps you out by not loading the images on each page.
It can help the user out by not making him wait for the images to load
again.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:

thank you, how do I fix it then? Email my ISP?

Pay them more money to upgrade your account for more bandwidth.
Or use a different ISP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper, you're a star. I'll work on that this weekend. Thank you
very much for the advice.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
oups.com:

Puckdropper, you're a star. I'll work on that this weekend. Thank you
very much for the advice.

Barry

Thanks for the compliment. :-)

Puckdropper