Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S C&S is offline

Default FT:trading stuff... and looking for big metal ferrule

I have in my shop some tooling an material that some other folks might not
have.... For instance I have a modest cache of spalted maple turning blanks
and some hickory which would be ideal for tool handles. There may be some
other folks may have "extras" that would be new/special/unique for those who
don't have access.

Is there a site where people trade woodorking supplies or services? If not,
would it make sense to establish a precident of "FT" as a subject prefix?

I'm looking for some metal rings that could be used as ferrules on the face
of a large mallet. I have looked at electrical and plumbing fittings but
have not found anyting that would work.

Ideally, if someone had a metal-cutting bandsaw and had some scrap pipe that
could cut off some 1/2" sections that would work really well. Something in
the range of 2.5 to 5" diameter.

Does anybody have have access to that tooling/material or have come across
an other-the counter "thing" that would function well as a big ferrule?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
C&S wrote:
...snipped...
Is there a site where people trade woodorking supplies or services? If not,
would it make sense to establish a precident of "FT" as a subject prefix?

I'm looking for some metal rings that could be used as ferrules on the face
of a large mallet. I have looked at electrical and plumbing fittings but
have not found anyting that would work.

...snipped...

I'm not sure of a a web site for trading woodwiring supplies, but
Craigslist has a 'barter' section. As for the newsgroup, I like the
idea of using it (non-commercially not for spamming of course!) for
this purpose, but why not just spell out "For Trade" in the subject so
there's no ambiguity?

Now, for the metal rings for your mallet question. If you know any
electricians who do industrial work you may be able to get a piece of
2" or larger EMT. It can be cut with a tubing or pipe cutter. If you
want something heavier gauge than EMT, 2" iron pipe is closer to 2.5"
OD. If you don't know any electricians or plumbers, you could try
scrounging from a construction site dumpster or maybe a demolition
site. If you are really desparate, you could even buy the pipe, and
perhaps the EMT, from Home Depot or Lowes. They might look at you
strangely, but they should be able to cut it as you describe there
also. Once you get above 2" (Pipe is measured by ID) in size, iron
pipe and fittings get a bit harder to find but they are certainly
available. If you go to a plumbing supply house, you may even be able
to get 2" copper, which IMO would look kind of neat on a mallet
compared to iron or steel.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

"C&S" wrote in message
[...]

This is waaaay out but.................do you know someone with a bandsaw
blade welder. You could take old bandsaw blades, grind off the teeth and
make the ring any diameter you wished. Like I said it's way out! :-)
Good Luck Lyndell
P.S. Do a search for bronze bushings. They are relatively cheap and come in
all sorts of sizes.