Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HVLP Hose

I picked up a turbine for my homebrew HVLP sprayer last week.

So I stopped in HD to pick up some quick disconnect hose fittings (garden
section), which look good. But I was surprised by the small size of the
opening. Would I be any better to run a large diameter hose as close a
possible to the gun and then drop to the smaller hose? I know the opening
will reduce at some point, but won't the larger hose (say 2") reduce the
overall friction loss?

BTW, one hose that I saw being sold for HVLP is just 3/4" pond hose. I'm
also heard of some guys using heater hose.

P.S. Anyone got a turbine gun for sale?

P.P.S Picked up my Rigid Planer today too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I picked up a turbine for my homebrew HVLP sprayer last week.

So I stopped in HD to pick up some quick disconnect hose fittings (garden
section), which look good. But I was surprised by the small size of the
opening. Would I be any better to run a large diameter hose as close a
possible to the gun and then drop to the smaller hose? I know the opening
will reduce at some point, but won't the larger hose (say 2") reduce the
overall friction loss?

BTW, one hose that I saw being sold for HVLP is just 3/4" pond hose. I'm
also heard of some guys using heater hose.

P.S. Anyone got a turbine gun for sale?

P.P.S Picked up my Rigid Planer today too.

I have the 14", 4 speed, w/ riser block. Got it second hand, but still in
the box. Added Kreg's fence, and Cool Blocks. Scraped the blade that
comes with it. It works just fine. Holds adjustments.

Was making a jig, mismeasure, miscut, misfigured, but off center line by
..055", cut a shim .022" X 3 X 10. .022 top, .023 bottom.
BUT be careful HF QC is a bit spotty, Inspect any electrical tool before
buying.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:48:33 -0500, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:

BUT be careful HF QC is a bit spotty, Inspect any electrical tool before
buying.

Harbor Freights Quality Control is the end customer.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:38:35 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

For comparative purposes, you should be aware that my Fuji 4 stage
uses a simple "hot water safe" garden hose, and my HF 2 stage uses a ~
1" diameter proprietary hose.

The Fuji hose is smooth inside, and I've run it with as much as 100'
of hose with no ill effects. I use "160F hot water" hose, as the air
gets pretty warm near the unit. On hot days, the long hose allows the
air to cool before it hits the finish. The HF hose is ribbed inside
and ~ 20' long. I've never extended the HF hose, as I have nothing
that will match the connectors. However, I didn't try all that hard
to shop around plumbing and vacuum departments.

I don't know if the ribs in the HF hose make any difference. Part of
my mind says it does, but another part says that some air may sit in
the grooves, allowing other air smooth passage over the top, making
far less of a difference.

Thanks,

I was reading up on friction loss yesterday and found this:

[quote]
Darcy Equation for head loss in pipes

head loss = k * length/diameter * velocity ^2 / 64
k = 0.316 * reynolds number ^ -.25
reynolds number = diameter * velocity / kinesmatic viscosity

So in pipe loss calculations, the major contributor to head loss is
velocity, where every time velocity doubles, head losses increase are
cubed.
[quote]

So you're probably gaining much more from the larger pipe than you're losing
to the ribs. Despite how much they add to k.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Interesting stuff Bill. Where did you get the turbine??

Keep us up to date when you find a gun. I'm interested in homebrew
HVLP also..

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Interesting stuff Bill. Where did you get the turbine??

Keep us up to date when you find a gun. I'm interested in homebrew
HVLP also..

Thanks, my gun hunting has been less fufilling. I've seen two different
'Economy' guns in the $110 US range, but you can't seem to buy extra nozzles
or parts. The best option seems to be the $288 CDN Fuji gun, but the damn
nozzles are $70 a pop for extras!

I've been investigating noise dampening for my box in any event, so the gun
can wait. It seems that floating walls and and indirect air flow (baffles)
are a good start. I may build a box in a box and use some Sorbane to
minimize the vibration between the two boxes. I'm hoping the FWW book has
some ideas on this.

I got my Turbine off eBay, not too much of a deal $139 for a new three
stage. But I don't have too many virtues left. I figure I can play with the
box this winter, while I wait out the gun.