Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sun tanning wood

I made a cherry and maple cutting board and I want to hasten the darkening
of the cherry.
I already applied some tung-poly and I have it out in the sun.

Should I wait until the tung-poly has cured before tanning in the sun? I
assume the sun will speed up the curing process as well.?.

Thanks

---
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
jk jk is offline

The sun will quicken the drying/curing of the tung/poly, but, I do not
think it is advisable to do so. Best to let the curing (really drying
of the VOC's by outgassing) proceed at its own pace at ambient I'd
think. As to darkening by putting the piece in the sun, never heard of
such a thing. I have an all cherry wall unit, lower unit houses
cd's/junk upper is a glass enclosed book case. It is in a shady part of
the room and has darkened up quite a bit over the last two years.
Amazing color difference when I took the upper section down, there is a
bright square where the light doesn't get to it. Isn't some of this due
to oxidation as well?
john
Stoutman wrote:
I made a cherry and maple cutting board and I want to hasten the darkening
of the cherry.
I already applied some tung-poly and I have it out in the sun.

Should I wait until the tung-poly has cured before tanning in the sun? I
assume the sun will speed up the curing process as well.?.

Thanks

---
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:

I made a cherry and maple cutting board and I want to hasten the darkening
of the cherry.
I already applied some tung-poly and I have it out in the sun.

Should I wait until the tung-poly has cured before tanning in the sun? I
assume the sun will speed up the curing process as well.?.

Thanks

---
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

I'd wait until the finish has cured before placing it in the sun. Unless
the finish has a UV blocker, direct bright sunlight will darken the
cherry fairly quickly. Normally I would do the exposure before applying
the finish.

Jess.S