Posted to rec.woodworking

Default find a local thickness planer?

Short version:

Is there generally speaking places where i can take my 19"x19"x2" piece
of wood and get it planed? (not sure if that's the right terminology,
but you get the idea) I'm imagining some sort of woodshop/workshop
where you pay to use the machine/services. I live in San Diego, CA, USA
if that's helpful. I don't want to have to spend $2,000 or whatever to
get a 20" planer.

Longer version:

So, i'm working to build a table go board [1] that's basically
19"x19"x2". I started out with two pieces of basswood thatI i ran
through a friend's planer that's i'm guessing 13" wide? I joined the
pieces of wood together (using a biscut joiner), and sanded it and gave
it one or two coats of polyurethane.

I set aside the project as i had to move, and unfortunately during the
move the board got a nice ding in it. So, i'd like to shave off a part
of the board to make it level again. I need it pretty level so that i
can draw the lines on it - and also for perfectionist reasons.

I'm not sure if planers work well with wood that has a polyurethane
coating - or would i have to sand that off first? I also could just try
to sand it down evenly, but i'd rather have it properly flat rather
than eyeballing it.

Thanks in advance!

[1]: much like the first picture he
http://users.tkk.fi/~kalyytik/goban/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Short version:

Is there generally speaking places where i can take my 19"x19"x2" piece
of wood and get it planed? (not sure if that's the right terminology,
but you get the idea) I'm imagining some sort of woodshop/workshop
where you pay to use the machine/services. I live in San Diego, CA, USA
if that's helpful. I don't want to have to spend $2,000 or whatever to
get a 20" planer.

What is keeping you from calling some local cabinet shops and asking them if
they do that kind of work?
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim wrote:
What is keeping you from calling some local cabinet shops and asking them if
they do that kind of work?
Jim

Not knowing that local cabinet shops would do that kind of work?

Thanks for the suggestion!

-tg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim wrote:
What is keeping you from calling some local cabinet shops and asking them if
they do that kind of work?
Jim

Oh and just to make sure my response didn't seem snarky I really didn't
think of asking a local cabinet shop / carpenter. My previous post
might have come across as ungrateful, and i just wanted to rectify
that.

Thanks again!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I'm 'assuming' you've turned it over and checked the other side.
Joe
who's been known to not do that
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Try
The Hardwood & Hardware Co.
5673 Kearny Villa Rd., San Diego, CA (619) 569-2482.
They do milling.

--
Frank Howell

-----------------
-----------------
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...

Jim wrote:
What is keeping you from calling some local cabinet shops and asking them
if
they do that kind of work?
Jim

Oh and just to make sure my response didn't seem snarky I really didn't
think of asking a local cabinet shop / carpenter.

In my opinion, a snarky response would have been justified.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Gorman wrote:
I'm 'assuming' you've turned it over and checked the other side.
Joe
who's been known to not do that

Yes, unfortunately there's definately a better side and a worse side as
far as aesthetics go. I'd really prefer to use the side that's now
dented =/

--
tg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Howell wrote:
Try
The Hardwood & Hardware Co.
5673 Kearny Villa Rd., San Diego, CA (619) 569-2482.
They do milling.

--
Frank Howell

awesome, i'll definately give them a call.

Thanks!

--
tg

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can raise dings out with water and a hot iron. Raw wood because
the finish gets in the way of the water. I have had lots of dings pop
up with the hot iron which is kind of fun to do.

thickness planer Ted Woodworking 9 January 16th 06 12:38 PM
list of 4000+ local mortgage brokers to find best rates and quotes Pet-lover Home Ownership 0 September 1st 05 06:43 PM
Planer, as in thickness planer: Wanted Jim Woodturning 2 August 23rd 05 12:20 AM
Delta 12" Portable Thickness Planer or 22" Shop Built Thickness Sander? tillius Woodworking 11 December 21st 04 12:27 AM
Thickness Planer: Do I need the two speeds of the DW735? bscott03 Woodworking 19 December 16th 04 07:53 PM