Posted to rec.woodworking

Default RAS and CMS combo table

I'm starting plans for a combined table for these two saws and wondered what
nice features you all have seen in this set up. So far the plan includes:
*10' length of table
*removeable fence to enable use of table for layout, etc - this also allows
lateral adjustment for tape measure (see below) calibration to blades
*R and L reading tape measures on the fence(s)
*## Maybe ## build the table as a large air cleaner using squirrel cage fan
and low micron furnace filters (haven't worked this one through, yet)
*Plum in dust collection to both saws
*More light over table

OK, my gut says that I'm missing some important stuff and, by way of
self-defense, I haven't drawn this up yet. A little expertise from you all
would be apreciated.
TIA,

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

No real expertise here, but I'm looking at the same-ish set-up. My CMS
is mounted to a small cabinet on locking casters, indexed between the
right and left tables. It's a DeWalt, and has a dust port on the back
which I've plumbed into the central DC ductwork. I'm betting that your
RAS also has this provision? It doesn't get all the dust (so what else
is new), but hey, it's a workshop. The other tool I'd like to
"modularize" is my benchtop mortiser, by building another cabinet
that'll index just like the CMS does. I think that once your tapes are
set on the fences, you should be able to calibrate to different blades,
even dados, with an adjusting screw on the fence stop. Here's what my
west wall looks like: http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/photos/ You'll
have to click to the workshop to see it. Tom
C & E
wrote:
I'm starting plans for a combined table for these two saws and wondered what
nice features you all have seen in this set up. So far the plan includes:
*10' length of table
*removeable fence to enable use of table for layout, etc - this also allows
lateral adjustment for tape measure (see below) calibration to blades
*R and L reading tape measures on the fence(s)
*## Maybe ## build the table as a large air cleaner using squirrel cage fan
and low micron furnace filters (haven't worked this one through, yet)
*Plum in dust collection to both saws
*More light over table

OK, my gut says that I'm missing some important stuff and, by way of
self-defense, I haven't drawn this up yet. A little expertise from you all
would be apreciated.
TIA,

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
No real expertise here, but I'm looking at the same-ish set-up. My CMS
is mounted to a small cabinet on locking casters, indexed between the
right and left tables. It's a DeWalt, and has a dust port on the back
which I've plumbed into the central DC ductwork. I'm betting that your
RAS also has this provision? It doesn't get all the dust (so what else
is new), but hey, it's a workshop. The other tool I'd like to
"modularize" is my benchtop mortiser, by building another cabinet
that'll index just like the CMS does. I think that once your tapes are
set on the fences, you should be able to calibrate to different blades,
even dados, with an adjusting screw on the fence stop. Here's what my
west wall looks like: http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/photos/ You'll
have to click to the workshop to see it. Tom

Nice shop. Is the "workbench as an outfeed table" a problem in the
middle of a project? I need to do something with my TS and my old
dresser workbench.

Oh, and check this out
http://www.woodbutcher.net/smoking.htm
I have this on my 'to do list'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

What a great shop, Tom. Pardon me if I hate ya for a few minutes! On your
portable storage cart did you go with the middle wheels a little higher than
the ends to allow for steering or did you just make them all the same
TIA,

oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

C & E wrote:
I'm starting plans for a combined table for these two saws and wondered what
nice features you all have seen in this set up. So far the plan includes:
*10' length of table
*removeable fence to enable use of table for layout, etc - this also allows
lateral adjustment for tape measure (see below) calibration to blades
*R and L reading tape measures on the fence(s)
*## Maybe ## build the table as a large air cleaner using squirrel cage fan
and low micron furnace filters (haven't worked this one through, yet)
*Plum in dust collection to both saws
*More light over table

OK, my gut says that I'm missing some important stuff and, by way of
self-defense, I haven't drawn this up yet. A little expertise from you all
would be apreciated.
TIA,

Consider one or more strategically positioned T-slots for mounting
hold-downs or mitre jigs. Sometime the RAS is handy to "right-size"
small pieces if you can clamp them in place and keep your fingers far
away ( I would never do this hand-held). Also, I never move my RAS off
90 degrees for reasons much discussed here. This requires me to use
mitre jigs of various angles, which I clamp to the table using the
t-slot. Very handy for mitres on long stock such as moulding which
would be difficult on the table saw.

Tom M.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Thanks. Sometimes, yes, it can be. But it also forces me to keep it
somewhat clean. I've got a secondary bench that I can set up in the
auto bay, or take with me to a job. By the way, my miter tables also
are hinged to fold up on the wall for really big vehicle maintenance.
Haven't had to do that much, as you can tell by all the clutter. Tom

RayV wrote:
Nice shop. Is the "workbench as an outfeed table" a problem in the
middle of a project? I need to do something with my TS and my old
dresser workbench.

Oh, and check this out
http://www.woodbutcher.net/smoking.htm
I have this on my 'to do list'.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Thank you. I'm the luckiest guy in the world. The center wheels are
slightly higher, yes. Otherwise, I couldn't finagle it out of it's
cubby. Tom
C & E wrote:
What a great shop, Tom. Pardon me if I hate ya for a few minutes! On your
portable storage cart did you go with the middle wheels a little higher than
the ends to allow for steering or did you just make them all the same
TIA,

Posted to rec.woodworking

C & E wrote:
I'm starting plans for a combined table for these two saws and wondered what
nice features you all have seen in this set up. So far the plan includes:
*10' length of table
*removeable fence to enable use of table for layout, etc - this also allows
lateral adjustment for tape measure (see below) calibration to blades

Think about allowing space for a truly long fence on the radial arm saw
for ripping 4*8 sheets of stuff.

*R and L reading tape measures on the fence(s)

Check.
*## Maybe ## build the table as a large air cleaner using squirrel cage fan
and low micron furnace filters (haven't worked this one through, yet)

My radial arm saw blows a pretty good breeze out the dust collection
elbow, just from blade rotation stirring up the air. I am considering
putting a piece of vacuum cleaner hose on the elbow and leading it out
doors and letting the sawdust blow out on the lawn.
*Plum in dust collection to both saws

Check.
*More light over table

Double Check.

OK, my gut says that I'm missing some important stuff and, by way of
self-defense, I haven't drawn this up yet. A little expertise from you all
would be apreciated.
TIA,

My home made radial arm saw table is a 3' * 3' * 3' cube with drawers in
the front face. The cube is framed with 2*4, and the sides are 3/8"
particle board fitting into dadoes in the frame. It's heavy and does
not wobble. The particle board stiffens the thing and prevents side
sway. The drawer hold the dado set, the molding head and knives, the
drum sander, the surface planer and extra blades. My work bench height
matches the RAS table height and serves as long table to support extra
long stock. I have 8 feet on either side of the saw, letting me rip 4*8
sheet goods. I can open the shop door, pull the saw forward a couple of
feet and rip even longer stuff.
I wish I had convenient pocket to hold the blade change wrenches, and
places to hold the various extra jigs, fences, and such.

David Starr