Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advise on CAD software please, TIA

Hi all,

I’ve done woodworking for a long time now as a hobby, but redundancy has pushed me into it
full time now and I was wondering what cad software other people where using. I’m after
something that will do 2D/3D presentation to customers and do a cutting list if poss. I’ve had a
look round the internet and what looks the best piece of software for me is cabinet builder,
vision or ware, from a company called planit.com

Are there any other suggestions? + anyone had any first hand experience of Planit software
(good or bad piece of software to use)

TIA

Noggo

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Noggo99" wrote in message
k...
Hi all,

I've done woodworking for a long time now as a hobby, but redundancy has
pushed me into it
full time now and I was wondering what cad software other people where
using. I'm after
something that will do 2D/3D presentation to customers and do a cutting
list if poss. I've had a
look round the internet and what looks the best piece of software for me
is cabinet builder,
vision or ware, from a company called planit.com

Are there any other suggestions? + anyone had any first hand experience of
Planit software
(good or bad piece of software to use)

TIA

Noggo

If you have had formal training it will be a great help. If you are new to
CAD, most any piece of software is going to present an up hill learning
curve. CAD software is not as easy to learn as most all other programs. It
greatly helps to have a working knowledge of how to draw correctly.

With 21 years of CAD experience and formal training before that, I went
through 5 brands before finding one that I liked and stayed with 10 years
ago. Unfortunately that brand was/is an expensive one.

GOOD LUCK in your search. I suggest trial versions before committing to any
one brand.
If you want to dabble with a 3D version, Google has SketchUP available for
free IIRC. It is probably the easiest to use, as far as getting a taste is
concerned. IMHO it is more of an entry level program.