Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 24" ruler

apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

http://tinyurl.co.uk/vkjr

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

I don't understand

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

http://tinyurl.co.uk/vkjr

Have they edited the ad? I don't see that in the description.
and the photo shows a normal ruler with scales of 32 and 20
increments to the inches on the two edges.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim W wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

I don't understand

Tim W

When I was at school there was eight eigths to an inch not ten?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

http://tinyurl.co.uk/vkjr

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Sir, first of all, it is a rule not a ruler. A 24" ruler would be
smaller than a midget and be the boss of his own country.
Second, they're not 8ths, but 10ths. Plenty of disciplines use tenths
as a measurment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "Robatoy" wrote:

Sir, first of all, it is a rule not a ruler. A 24" ruler would be
smaller than a midget and be the boss of his own country.

A 24" ruler would rule with both feet and never put a foot
wrong, right?

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Tim W wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

I don't understand

Tim W

When I was at school there was eight eigths to an inch not ten?

oops! they're 10th's on the top and eight's on the bottom. :-)

/me runs away,sharpish like.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:

oops! they're 10th's on the top and eight's on the bottom. :-)

/me runs away,sharpish like.

Premature extrapolation?

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

http://tinyurl.co.uk/vkjr

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Sir, first of all, it is a rule not a ruler. A 24" ruler would be
smaller than a midget and be the boss of his own country.
Second, they're not 8ths, but 10ths. Plenty of disciplines use tenths
as a measurment.

Sir one can use ruler or rule in this context as the object has been shown
to be an item of measurment.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/resu...=ruler&x=0&y=0

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

Sir, first of all, it is a rule not a ruler. A 24" ruler would be
smaller than a midget and be the boss of his own country.
Second, they're not 8ths, but 10ths. Plenty of disciplines use tenths
as a measurment.

Sir one can use ruler or rule in this context as the object has been shown
to be an item of measurment.

Rule is formal. Ruler would be okay in that language they speak along
the river Cam, Sir.
Maybe I have this confused with a 12 inch pianist?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"CW" wrote in message

I carry one daily graduated in 100ths.

But can you read all those little lines?

Ah, but that isn't the important question. Why is
it daily graduated? Do the graduations disappear
at midnight?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in news:X%mRg.423$Y24.133
@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Yes, I also carry a jewlers loop.

is that a loop or loupe?

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

You guys are loopy. Tom
R. Pierce Butler wrote:
"CW" wrote in news:X%mRg.423$Y24.133
@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Yes, I also carry a jewlers loop.

is that a loop or loupe?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On 23 Sep 2006 23:53:25 -0700, "tom" wrote:

You guys are loopy. Tom

That is loupey

You just have to magnify the littlest detail don't you?

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:41:39 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

You just have to magnify the littlest detail don't you?

Why put him under a microscope?

Thats magnitude for ya.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

You just have to magnify the littlest detail don't you?

Why put him under a microscope?

He's trying to be objective.
Let it slide.

--
Every complicated problem has a simple solution that doesn't work.

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
lwasserm(@)charm(.)net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:21:56 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Tim W wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

I don't understand

Tim W

When I was at school there was eight eigths to an inch not ten?

oops! they're 10th's on the top and eight's on the bottom. :-)

/me runs away,sharpish like.

Damn.. a mistake so soon? It's only September! *g*

I don't remember ever seeing a rule with 10ths.. sort of interesting..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Tim W wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

I don't understand

Tim W

When I was at school there was eight eigths to an inch not ten?

oops! they're 10th's on the top and eight's on the bottom. :-)

/me runs away,sharpish like.

Damn.. a mistake so soon? It's only September! *g*

Yeah,I even missed me own bithday in the early part of the month. :-(

I don't remember ever seeing a rule with 10ths.. sort of interesting..

I thought that the tenths would have been on the bottom rather on the
top,this had me fooled into believing there where no eigths until I had
another look.

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:25:52 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

http://tinyurl.co.uk/vkjr

It says it is used in the aircraft industry. Reminds me of the
special rules I used in my early days when I formatted computer
printed reports.

This thread caught my eye. I'm looking for a good 24" rule, although
I prefer one with English graduations and see-through plastic.
Sometimes 12" is too short and 36" is too long.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

http://tinyurl.co.uk/vkjr

It says it is used in the aircraft industry. Reminds me of the
special rules I used in my early days when I formatted computer
printed reports.

This thread caught my eye. I'm looking for a good 24" rule, although
I prefer one with English graduations and see-through plastic.
Sometimes 12" is too short and 36" is too long.

Dunno about this one, but he ships to the states.
http://tinyurl.co.uk/ynl5

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message

I don't remember ever seeing a rule with 10ths.. sort of interesting..

Sort of a waste really except for some specialized uses. I much prefer 1/8
or even 1/16 marked rulers with a greater number of whole divisible numbers.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

As the ad said, used in the aircraft industry. Many years ago, the major
tool companies started making rules graduated in 50ths and 100ths. These
were specifically aimed at the aircraft and automotive industry due to their
adoption of decimals for greater accuracy. Rules with decimal graduations
were known for many years as "aircraft rules". Starrett still uses that
name.
Look at aircraft blueprints. Over the years, aircraft designers have taken
the "no decimal" approach to ridiculousness. A common designation such as a
1/4-20 tap will be designated as .250-20 on an aircraft print. Instead of
specifying a 3/16 corner round to ease an edge, they will specify .190
radius, just far enough away from .1875 so it won't be equivalent to a
common fraction.

"Upscale" wrote in message
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message

I don't remember ever seeing a rule with 10ths.. sort of interesting..

Sort of a waste really except for some specialized uses. I much prefer 1/8
or even 1/16 marked rulers with a greater number of whole divisible

numbers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message

I don't remember ever seeing a rule with 10ths.. sort of interesting..
Mac

Just like machinist use thousandths, only bigger.

I have a rule that has 10ths and it was made by GEI and a give away from a
machine shop. I never use that scale though, but it also has 1/16th. The
other side is mm and half mm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:06:29 -0400, "Upscale" wrote:

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message

I don't remember ever seeing a rule with 10ths.. sort of interesting..

Sort of a waste really except for some specialized uses. I much prefer 1/8
or even 1/16 marked rulers with a greater number of whole divisible numbers.

I guess that percentages are easier than fractions for some folks.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
I guess that percentages are easier than fractions for some folks.. *g*

You got me. I can only count to eight so rulers marked accordingly are much
better for me. If it's marked up to sixteenths, then I know it's eighths.
plus one extra line after each eighth. When they go up to ten then eighths
plus two extra is more than my brain can handle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Tim W wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol

I don't understand

Tim W

When I was at school there was eight eigths to an inch not ten?

oops! they're 10th's on the top and eight's on the bottom. :-)

/me runs away,sharpish like.

--

These scales are not so bad, what got me a couple of times is when I
inadvertently grabbed a pattern makers shrink rule. To those of you that

My personal preference in a steel rule is the one that has 10ths and 50ths
in one side, and 64ths and 32nds on the other.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"mac davis" wrote in message
I guess that percentages are easier than fractions for some folks.. *g*

You got me. I can only count to eight so rulers marked accordingly are much
better for me. If it's marked up to sixteenths, then I know it's eighths.
plus one extra line after each eighth. When they go up to ten then eighths
plus two extra is more than my brain can handle.

Using visual aids, I can count to 21.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:57:36 -0400, "Upscale" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
I guess that percentages are easier than fractions for some folks.. *g*

You got me. I can only count to eight so rulers marked accordingly are much
better for me. If it's marked up to sixteenths, then I know it's eighths.
plus one extra line after each eighth. When they go up to ten then eighths
plus two extra is more than my brain can handle.

I can handle 5 10ths being 1/2" but I'm not crazy about 2 1/2 10ths for 1/4"...
whew!
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:52:31 GMT, B A R R Y wrote:

Upscale wrote:
"mac davis" wrote in message
I guess that percentages are easier than fractions for some folks.. *g*

You got me. I can only count to eight so rulers marked accordingly are much
better for me. If it's marked up to sixteenths, then I know it's eighths.
plus one extra line after each eighth. When they go up to ten then eighths
plus two extra is more than my brain can handle.

Using visual aids, I can count to 21.

Does that involve sucking in the gut? *eg*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:

Does that involve sucking in the gut? *eg*

Nope, I can see at least 1/2. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 14:43:21 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

Rule is formal. Ruler would be okay in that language they speak along
the river Cam, Sir.
Maybe I have this confused with a 12 inch pianist?

WHen I worked as a die-maker in the middle of the continent between the
oceans ... north of 'ole' and and south of 'eh' we called them 'scales'
because they were used to scale drawings / get rough measurements of steel
before machining.

In our business, the drawings were often 1:1 so you could get a quick
reality check simply my holding the scale against it on the chance that
the indicated dimension was, in fact, a brain fart.

I still have & use my pocket scales (6") with a wide variety of
graduations (fractional inch, decimal inch and metric).

Even if you don't need the little lines & number, their edges are usually
pretty darned straight, making them a relatively inexpensive / moderately
accurate straight edge for gaging flatness.

Bill