Posted to rec.woodworking

Default handmade stained barnwood cabinets

We just bought a house that has handmade cabinets made with old
reclaimed wood (built on-site by the previous owner) with pressed tin
inserts in them (kitchen & all 3 bathrooms.) They are very
interesting and eye catching, but they are exactly alike in each
room. Also, they are very primitive looking. What can I do
(hopefully with out completely refinishing them) to the bathroom
cabinets to personalize and differentiate them from each other? I
was thinking about trying to clean them good, rough up the surface
with sandpaper and try some different waxes or stains. Good idea,
Bad idea? Any suggestions? I am having the kitchen professionally
remodeled but for the sake of my budget I am on my own in the
bathrooms, for now. I have no idea what I am doing, I am just
wingin’ it. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kjacrap wrote:

room. Also, they are very primitive looking. What can I do
(hopefully with out completely refinishing them) to the bathroom
cabinets to personalize and differentiate them from each other? I
was thinking about trying to clean them good, rough up the surface

Consider posting a pic of them so folks can see them & possibly give you
some ideas.

DoubleD
Posted to rec.woodworking

Kjacrap wrote:
We just bought a house that has handmade cabinets made with old
reclaimed wood (built on-site by the previous owner) with pressed tin
inserts in them (kitchen & all 3 bathrooms.) They are very
interesting and eye catching, but they are exactly alike in each
room. Also, they are very primitive looking. What can I do
(hopefully with out completely refinishing them) to the bathroom
cabinets to personalize and differentiate them from each other? I
was thinking about trying to clean them good, rough up the surface
with sandpaper and try some different waxes or stains. Good idea,
Bad idea? Any suggestions? I am having the kitchen professionally
remodeled but for the sake of my budget I am on my own in the
bathrooms, for now. I have no idea what I am doing, I am just
wingin' it. :-)

You can swap out the tin panels for copper ones (or brass or pewter or
whatever) or a different pattern, or both. Here's one source:

http://www.dlawlesshardware.com/tins.html

Or DAGS for "punched tin" (or copper or brass or pewter or whatever).